Inexpensive, no frills recommendation for laptop/desktop wanted

1,847 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by fig96
Fat Bib Fortuna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hello gents; in my freelancing business I tend to use two computers at once, and my wife and I have begun to grate one each other's nerves for time on the family desktop, which I use in addition to my laptop. I'm on the lookout for an inexpensive, reliable alternative solution, either another laptop or another desktop. It doesn't have to do any heavy lifting - just connect to the Internet and let me type and Skype.

TIA
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I usually get $300 laptops like this

EDIT - Did not realize this was a Refurbished unit, I would only pay that much for brand new.
quote:

• HP 15-r253cl

• Intel Core i3-5010u Dual Core Processor (2.10GHz, 3M L2 Cache)
  • 1x1 802.11b/g/n WLAN
  • With HD capacitive touchscreen:, experience the advanced, capacitive touch, HD display optimized for Windows 8.1.
  • 15.6-inch diagonal HD WLED-backlit touchscreen display (1366x768)
  • Intel HD graphics 5500
  • Front facing HP TrueVision HD Webcam with integrated digital microphone
  • Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital card
  • (1) USB 3.0 (2) USB 2.0

I have bought Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP laptops in the $300-400 range with good results, especially for a internet browser laptop. I have no personal experience with this laptop in particular, but an i3 with 15.6" touchscreen should do the job just fine. It weighs about 5 lbs and battery is good for 4-5 hours. 1366x768 is not ideal but the minimum for today.

LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Here is a good deal on an Acer 15" laptop
TX scallywAG
AG
Call up Dell. I bought a decent unit, mid range specs with Windows & Office for $500. Of course half of that was MS software & OS. They should have sales right now for college student crowd.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
Cloud
I would not buy an acer computer. They are a very poor brand in terms of reliability/build quality.
hijakeroo123
AG
If you are near either Dallas or Houston, check out Micro Center. They have refurbished Lenovo Thinkpads for less than $300!
bigboykin
AG
My work provides a laptop, but I always keep a second one for home surfing. I just pick up a cheap-o used one on eBay. Currently rocking an HP 8510p that I paid $47 for. Slapped and old hard drive in there (I think like 40GB) and some extra RAM I had laying around, installed Ubuntu, and it does everything I need it to do for less than 50 bucks. Actually, I had to buy the charger separately for like $6, so just over $50. This is actually my second 8510p, as I gave my last one a full beer to drink.

It's powerful enough to stream video content to Chromecast, do mild photo editing in GIMP, and light video editing in OpenShot.
SeaAg98
AG
If its only to surf the internet, update facebook, do small photo editing, etc. I suggest a Chromebook. They are very cheap and do a lot of things. With Microsoft Online, you can use a lighter version of the Office suite of programs without needing the heavy duty computer. Storage is done in the cloud or a SD card. They stream online video just fine as well. I bought one for just around the house and love it.
fig96
AG
quote:
If its only to surf the internet, update facebook, do small photo editing, etc. I suggest a Chromebook. They are very cheap and do a lot of things. With Microsoft Online, you can use a lighter version of the Office suite of programs without needing the heavy duty computer. Storage is done in the cloud or a SD card. They stream online video just fine as well. I bought one for just around the house and love it.
Was gonna suggest the same thing. Recently got my folks a Toshiba Chromebook 2 to replace their outdated Windows laptop and they love it. Retail is 299.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.