recently installed AutoCAD for the sole purpose of screwing around

1,377 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by javajaws
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
And, predictably, I'm lost. I thought I could use it to design some woodworking projects, but this thing is intense. Can anyone recommend an idiot's guide?
LostInLA07
AG
Try SketchUp
Bigsteve713
AG
maybe youtube?
aggieforester05
AG
Learn to use the keyboard commands as a start.
chipotle
Best way to learn is to get your hands dirty. Sometimes the install will include some tutorial files that you can use as you follow along with some online lesson stuff found here:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/getting-started#?sort=score
MW03
AG
I installed the super duper package courtesy of my lovely wife's teacher's email, so I have 1,000 components. I'll just jump in and see what I can find via that link and youtube.
Hagen95
AG
Did you get all the design suites? They are pretty robust and you can do a lot. The help menus are so much better than they used to be.
javajaws
AG
I think for woodworking projects you'll be MUCH more happy with Sketchup. I've used sketchup to design multiple woodworking and other projects and find it great for this type of project.

Some stuff I've designed and subsequently built from Sketchup:

Subwoofer (cross-sectional view):

Smoker:

Built-in for 120g aquarium:

Frame for teardrop trailer:
MW03
AG
I think I'm sold. Can I rotate in 3D like AutoCAD? Usually when I'm working on a project it's me and a ton of graphing paper like a neanderthal.,

What would be really cool would be if I could select materials (i.e., click on materials/wood/board/2x6) and then just drag one into place by length like you would a line or segment. That would be most excellent. Then the program could render a shopping/cut list.
MW03
AG
quote:
Did you get all the design suites? They are pretty robust and you can do a lot. The help menus are so much better than they used to be.
I did. One even measures resonance, but I'm not building a suspension bridge or skyscraper here. Yet.
coppag92
AG
Did you use the free Sketchup Make or Sketchup Pro? Are you able to list measurements on your 3D drawing? As mentioned, are you able to rotate drawing in 3D? I am interested in this as well and heard about it many times but know nothing. Assume below is link to download what you are referring to? thx

http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

Hagen95
AG
Once you start designing spirals for your driveways, you're only a step away from skyscraper treehouses.
DayAg!
S
Whatever you do, dont let A-cad have access to the internet. They are anal about copies not being licensed.
javajaws
AG
quote:
I think I'm sold. Can I rotate in 3D like AutoCAD? Usually when I'm working on a project it's me and a ton of graphing paper like a neanderthal.,

What would be really cool would be if I could select materials (i.e., click on materials/wood/board/2x6) and then just drag one into place by length like you would a line or segment. That would be most excellent. Then the program could render a shopping/cut list.
Oh definitely. "O" hotkey (Orbit) and left mouse click to pan around and mousewheel to zoom in/out.

In Sketchup you make what is called a component. What I do when I model is I make every individual piece of wood/metal/whatever it's own component. So say you have a cabinet door...I might have 5 components (or more): 2 rails, 2 stiles, and the center panel.

You can import libraries of existing components and/or just create one on the fly. To make a "2x4" just draw a rectangle then "push" the fill to make a 3rd dimension then select it all and right click->make component.

You can then either make unique or non-unique copies of a component. When editing one of a set of non-unique components all copies of the component are changed at once. This is how you would model 4 identical legs of a table (just rotate each individual copy appropriately to be aligned right). Then you can lengthen/shorten/whatever all 4 legs at once. Unique components become "one offs" that don't get changed when editing other copies of that component (essentially making it a real new component).

You can draw dimensions on anything, hide/show stuff by layers etc. I've never really used cutlists, but there are plugins to sketchup that can help with this.
javajaws
AG
quote:
Did you use the free Sketchup Make or Sketchup Pro? Are you able to list measurements on your 3D drawing? As mentioned, are you able to rotate drawing in 3D? I am interested in this as well and heard about it many times but know nothing. Assume below is link to download what you are referring to? thx

http://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-make

I've always only used the free versions.

Yes to dimensions and rotating. You can also create "exploded view" diagrams. It also has layers so you can show/hide stuff like dimensions or different parts of your model. Like on my smoker design I have layers for the firebox, doors, inside panels, outside panels, etc.

There are many sketchup tutorials and resources out there. Check youtube and www.sketchucation.com
MW03
AG
Sketchup is pretty sweet! Monkeyed with it last night and came up with this design for a platform bed with a headboard and built-in bench

MW03
AG
Actually like this one better, but fear for my shins

Anyway, thanks for recommending it.
boy09
AG
I love Sketchup, very easy to use. I use it a lot for modelling for 3D printing. Unfortunately, it doesn't always like to play nice with the 3D printing slicing software...
chipotle
Sketchup is pretty good for design development but if you're wanting to do technical CD's autoCAD is where it's at. But I use sketchup for around the house stuff. Used sketchup with Vray to help with our kitchen remodel:

javajaws
AG
Where Sketchup shines is in its low complexity level (ease of use) and the ability to re-pick it up after a few months of not using it without having to re-train on it. Very useful for the non-professional who might only design a few projects a year.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.