Galaxy S4 constantly crashing after lollipop update

1,291 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ag12thman
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I got lollipop on my S4 a couple of days ago and it has been nothing but trouble.

As soon as I updated, every few hours the phone would completely lock up. Whatever app I was using would crash (most of the time Whatsapp), the phone would freeze up, and eventually I'd get a "process system isn't responding" message. Then the phone would go the yellow Sprint screen as if it were rebooting, and stay that way until I took battery out.

I decided to factory reset the damn thing yesterday and figured that would be it. I used it most of the day with no problems. (I restored most of the apps I had before, and didn't delete anything from the SD card.)

I wake up this morning, and again the phone is locked up. Can't open any apps, got the "process system isn't responding" message, and now it's back to the damn Sprint screen.

WTF could be causing this? Even after a factory reset it's still doing this. Could it be the SD card? Or is it time for a new phone?
culdeus
AG
Wife's S4 is doing the same thing. Nothing I've done has really helped. Considering rooting.
aggieforester05
AG
My S4 had become a steaming pile of dung since the lollipop update. Does anybody know if there is a way to get Cyanogen Mod on it if it hasn't been rooted at this point? According to their site you're SOL.
Icecream_Ag
S
same issue and solution...i think

instructions and further support

try these and report back.

Not gonna try until someone else goes first.
schmendeler
AG
iphone 6 running great.
redd38
AG
quote:
iphone 6 running great.
So is my Galaxy S6... what does that have to do with an S4?
schmendeler
AG
it just works.
Ark03
AG
quote:
iphone 6 running great.
For a more comparable comparison of a phone that came out the same time as the OP's (correction, it came out 5 months AFTER the OP's), my wife's iphone 5s runs like crap. The updates are buggy and slow it down, and I'm afraid it will spontaneously combust if she installs the next one.
schmendeler
AG
weird, my wife's 5c runs great. must be user error.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Amazing that any time there is an issue with an apple product, its user error.
Ark03
AG
quote:
Watch it now, my wife is the user. That said, she hands it to me every now and then when it becomes unusable, and I will back it up, clear off her pictures to free up some space, and install any updates to it. Occasionally I'll wipe it and reinstall from the itunes backup, but that's becoming less effective.

Maybe I should send her to go visit the the apple version of the geek squad and see what they do.
schmendeler
AG
just entertaining myself on a Tuesday afternoon. carry on in peace android folk.
agracer
AG
My LG G3 has been randomly rebooting since t-mob updated to Lollipop back in April.
To go back to the original issue with the op, the SD card could possibly be the issue. Remove it and then try another reset without installing the apps. If it's good, then slowly install each app one at a time. Find out which app is doing this and erase it. Issue resolved.
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
just entertaining myself on a Tuesday afternoon. carry on in peace android folk.

Although with an iPhone, you don't have to worry about something called lollipop bricking your phone.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Bit the bullet and leased the S6.
Sea Pony 07
AG
I have had similar issues and the flickering screen on dim is getting to the point that I may just bite the bullet and upgrade. Unless anyone knows how to fix the flickering (complete reset made it a little bit better but not much)
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I had a flickering issue a couple of weeks ago that I'd forgotten about. Even before the upgrade. That was weird.
aggieforester05
AG
Well I did an almost complete refurbish on the phone last night, including replacing the frame, battery cover, and the broken LCD Digitizer assembly. Of course I didn't know there is three pieces to the frame and missed one ordering it, so the outer most trim around the phone still looks like crap. It also happened to be the piece that the LCD digitize assembly glued to, so no going back now.

Surprisingly the phone is running much faster today; however, it keeps randomly turning off and I think it's because it's overheating. Fix one problem and create a new one. I'll get around to trying to install Cyanogenmod, hopefully this weekend.

I just need this one to last me until the end of August, and then last my wife until early November. Seriously considering moving away from Android, because I'm sick of the bugginess, but I can't stand the IOS UI or their "ecosystem". Might have to hold out and see what the Windows 10 phone offerings are going to look like.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
My S4's working great!
wee_ag
AG
Just got a refurbed S4 today - sounds like stay away from lollipop?

As a side note, stumbled across this:

Galaxy S4 Lollipop problems and how to fix them
Ag12thman
AG
There are several rule breakers on this thread. RULE NUMBER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.