Best streaming/mirroring solution for the office?

895 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Aggietaco
Sandman23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy fellow nerds, I am need need of recommendations. Here is the setup:

I have a windows PC on one side of my office and an HDTV on the opposite wall. I am looking for a way to stream content from my PC, and ideally to mirror my computer screen onto the TV. When clients come in, I will use this to show them videos from their file (saved in various formats) and to blow up important documents, exhibits, etc for them to see as we go through them.

Apple TV won't work because AirPlay won't work from a PC.
I doesn't look like Chromecast will work because from what I have read, you can only stream from your phone or tablet.
I have not done the research on the Amazon Fire Stick yet.

The distance is WAY too long to run a DisplayPort/HDMI cord from the PC to the TV, not to mention it would look hideous as I don't have any way to run the cables in the wall.

Any reccomendations or thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance guys and gals.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
We have apple TVs at my office and the folks with PCs (i.e. non dev folks) use Air Parrot and connect just fine. It can be somewhat finicky but works most of the time.
jagouar1
AG
https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/wireless-display-adapter
Sandman23
AG
That looks great Jag! I had no idea Microsoft had their own streaming solution.
Sandman23
AG
Related issue, the PC is hardwired to the network (no on-board Wi-Fi card). With Apple products, ths isn't an issue as long as all devices are connected to the same network. Any idea if this Microsoft product will be the same way, or will it only detect other wireless devices?
CrottyKid
AG
If you were on a wireless network, chromecast would totally work. I use it from my laptop all the time.
ham98
ham98
wireless hdmi?
CapCity12thMan
AG
I use Chromecast to stream from my desktop and laptop all the time...whatever is running inside your Chrome browser will make it to your TV just fine.
Sandman23
AG
Cap and Crottty - Thank you for the input. A few follow-up questions.

Let's say I have a video on my hard drive, random file format. Is there a way to open that video within a chrome tab so I can cast it to the TV?

What about a PDF document or a jpg image? Can I open those within chrome tabs as well?

Can I multitask, i.e. have the chrome tab casting to the TV in full screen while I continue to work in other programs and the internet on the PC?
belowpar
AG
#1 - Extron Sharelink
#2 - Crestron AirMedia
#3 - WePresent - Little Less Expensive

All commercial products, not resi.
Aggietaco
AG
Any reason you can't just run HDMI (or any other video cable) and mirror your desktop to it?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.