Any operating system programmers out there?

787 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by permabull
BusterAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not contemplating actually trying this, but want to contemplate the below thought experiment:

How difficult would it be to write an operating system that is compatible with Android, and could run any Android program, without copying any Android code. We will call this hypothetical new operating system Fandroid.

So, even if the code was identical at the machine level, it would have to be created without copying any of the Android code.

Then, you you do is point all of the purchase decisions from Android Play to Fandroid Play.

Is it technically possible? How much coding time would it require? $1 billion worth? $100 billion worth?
m-walker
AG
You serious Clarke?
DAM
AG
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Most if not all of Android is open source so you could in theory make your Fandroid in a matter of minutes, however the moment you deviate from any of the core libraries you would lose all hardware support. Now, getting your own phone and getting your own OS might actually cost you a few hundred thousand, but trying to guess beyond a single phone and to the masses millions upon millions would be my guess.

dam
boboguitar
AG
Why?
Ronniecoleman30
AG
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=androidx86
MGS
You wouldn't need to reverse-engineer Android, you'll just need to do ART.
permabull
AG
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.