Wifi Signal booster (I have UVerse 2wire)?

1,274 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by JDCAG (NOT Colin)
thirty-two
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have UVerse internet, and my Wifi range sucks. Anyone had luck with a Wifi booster?
sts7049
AG
linky

yep. i have an amped wireless repeater/extender that i bought a couple years ago. it works great in our house.

JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
You could also read up on how to basically turn off the WIFI on the U-verse gateway and get a nice router that will provide better coverage.
If you have t-mobile as your wireless carrier, they can send you a free Asus WiFi Router
logs10
AG
You'll want to look into powerline adapters for boosting your wireless network coverage in your house.

Linksys Powerline AV Wireless Network Extender

Basically, these adapters utilize your home's electrical wiring to transport the signal (similar to a Ethernet cable, but slower.) The one I linked you actually turns the 2nd adapter into a wireless hot spot that you'll be able to connect to much closer to where you will need the signal. This would help you bypass all of the walls/floors that are creating interference with the wifi signal from your router. This will be much better than simply boosting a network signal from your routers native location. This will be moving a signal (@ up to 100/mbps) to a new spot in your residence that you can connect to (wireless and also comes with a Ethernet port to connect a wired device.)
thirty-two
AG
I think the main problem I have is that there is a huge stone wall on the inside of my house that divides the living room (where the router is) to the bedrooms. The only break in that wall is the door/hallway leading to the bedrooms. I think that wall is basically a barrier to the signal. I am hoping a booster will help. If not, I'll return it and try to get a better router than the sub-par one that UVerse provided.
logs10
AG
The powerline adapter would create the wired signal you would need to bypass the stonewall. You would plug one adapter into an outlet by the router and the other into an outlet in the room you would like your signal stronger. Then all you have to do is connect to the adapter as a hotspot (like an additional router). Problem solved.
thirty-two
AG
Thanks logs10. I may just give that a shot.
rynning
AG
I believe some (most?) routers can be made to act as a "wired" extender/repeater by plugging its WAN port into the main router (e.g., via PowerLine adapter), changing it's internal IP address to something other than the main router's IP address (e.g. 198.168.1.2 instead of 198.168.1.1), making its wireless SSID unique, and turning off DHCP (so that devices connecting to it use the main router's DHCP service to obtain their IP address).

If you want a "wireless" repeater/extender that connects wirelessly to the main router and devices connect via wire and/or wirelesslessly to it, you need to look for that specific feature.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Keep the same SSID and your devices will auto-switch as you move around.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.