Anyone here a CEH?

2,279 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jay040
GoneForGood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Duncan Idaho
Posted this in your other thread
I don't have my ceh, I have or have held many others. The only place I have seen the ceh any value is in professional services or at large multinationals.

If you want a corporate job, look at getting one of the isc2 certs. They have some new ones that don't require the work experience or on of the isaca certs.

Eitherway, plan on a stint inprofessional services.

Start attending local security networking events and get to know the people.
GoneForGood
Azariah
AG
CISSP is the standard that everyone in hiring companies knows to look for. When you're flashing letters to get an interview it's the standard.

I don't have my CEH, and don't have any plan to get it. It seems like a lot of work.
txag2k
AG
15 Top-Paying Certifications for 2015

I don't feel there is a single "go to" cert to get as there are so many certs out there that are valuable... and knowledge + experience closes most gaps. I work in IT security and currently hold a CRISC (since 2010), GIAC GSEC (2006), and ITIL v3 Foundation (2013). All are valuable and useful in my field. I'm not interested in the CEH, but that does not mean it would not be useful/valuable. I let my CISSP lapse a few years ago. It's a very high level cert compared to like GIAC GSEC which is much more comprehensive if that makes sense (no memorizing *nix commands for the CISSP ). I'd say more suited for mgmt.

Just my $.02
jay040
Look into GIAC GPEN (http://www.giac.org/certification/penetration-tester-gpen) or OSCP (https://www.offensive-security.com/information-security-certifications/oscp-offensive-security-certified-professional/) over the CEH.

We never take the CEH cert very seriously, particularly if that's the applicant's only cert. I have several co-workers who have the CEH and don't list it on their resume.

EDIT: After re-reading your post, GPEN and OSCP might be a bit higher-level than you're wanting/need.

I 2nd the GSEC - it's a very good, well rounded cert to have. Also agree that CISSP is more for higher level management. If you can't get into a GSEC course, the GCIH is another good entry level security course.

GCIA has been the most useful certification I've ever taken, but you're going to need to be able to understand pcaps, hex dumps, and snort/bro rules to handle the class.
GoneForGood
merlin403
txag2k,

May I get your email? I'm in the process of transitioning careers and would like to ask a couple of questions about IT security.

Thanks!

txag2k
AG
quote:
txag2k,

May I get your email? I'm in the process of transitioning careers and would like to ask a couple of questions about IT security.

Thanks!

Nice try NSA!

(my handle @ gmail)
jay040
Check out the job advertisments of the positions you want. Often they'll mention preferred certifications. I personally think that of the GSEC and GCIH, the GSEC is better but the GCIH has a better sounding name and implies that you're an "incident handler".

If you go to the GIAC certification Roadmap, it has GSEC as the introductory, and GCIH as a higher level. So start with GSEC.

The DoD/military considers the Sec+ and GSEC to be the same, but you will get way, way, way more out of the GSEC class/cert than you will a Sec+.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.