Anyone have first hand experience with Cricket Wireless here in B/CS and elsewhere?

1,370 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by tfunk02
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As soon as my current contract with Verizon is up I am thinking of jumping ship to Cricket. Right now I pay $120 a month for one phone with unlimited talk and text with 8 GB of data on 4G.

With cricket I am looking at unlimited talk and text and 10 GB of data for around 60. Literally half the cost. I am one of those who thinks its too good to be true so looking for first hand stories of their service. I am afraid their coverage and speeds would not be up to the same of Verizon. I have seen conflicting reports on that. And I want to kow if that $60 plan is truly $60 and not $60+

TIA
akaggie05
AG
Can't speak to the fees, but their coverage is identical to what you get from AT&T (same network).
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Should be 60 even. We switched and pay 70 on the nose every month.

Coverage has been fine and what akaggie said is right.

Literally the only difference for me is that I can't tether.
Eliminatus
AG
nice. I will be trying them out soon. Thanks

Btw JDCAG. You ever been in the air force?
AggieT
AG
There are no additional fees. If they say $60, it will be $60. It's actually very refreshing and easy to understand compared to dealing with the major carriers. The 4G speeds are throttled to 8 mbps, but that is plenty fast for anything I've ever needed.
tfunk02
AG
I almost switched to Cricket, and then I found this out...

Cricket Caps Data Speeds.

It may not be a big deal to some, but it was to me.
AggieT
AG
Out of curiosity, what are you doing on your phone that requires faster speeds?
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:

No, I never was. Did work around a lot of ex air force folks at one point though
gravy97
AG
I switched to Cricket in Austin about 6 months ago and haven't had any trouble. We have my phone, mrs gravy's and gravy jr's phones all for a total of $90 with unlimited talk/text/data. (For the data is unlimited, it is only the first 2GB at 4G, after then it trottles down for as much as you want after that, but you don't have any unexpected overages either)

First phone $40, second phone $30, third phone $20... when the little gravy princess is old enough, it would only be $10 more to add a phone for her

Eliminatus
AG
quote:
quote:

No, I never was. Did work around a lot of ex air force folks at one point though
Ah. I coincidence then. I know an Aggie named JD that was in the AF that was into the SF side(figured CAG meant something like combined action group). JD also has a twin brother named Colin. I figured surely it was you.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
I switched to Cricket in Austin about 6 months ago and haven't had any trouble. We have my phone, mrs gravy's and gravy jr's phones all for a total of $90 with unlimited talk/text/data. (For the data is unlimited, it is only the first 2GB at 4G, after then it trottles down for as much as you want after that, but you don't have any unexpected overages either)

First phone $40, second phone $30, third phone $20... when the little gravy princess is old enough, it would only be $10 more to add a phone for her

That sounds pretty awesome to me. The only thing I am going to miss is Verizon RedZone. But since they closed that loophole allowing you to cast the NFL network to the TV via your phone I dont use it as much. I am definitely going to try Cricket as soon as my current contract is up.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ah. I coincidence then. I know an Aggie named JD that was in the AF that was into the SF side(figured CAG meant something like combined action group). JD also has a twin brother named Colin. I figured surely it was you.

Definitely not me, but crazy coincidence! I could see how you suspect a match!
tfunk02
AG
Work stuff. Sometimes have 250mb+ files I have to download. I was going to move to their 20GB/month plan.
I also have to tether when I'm on the road.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.