Home Audio Question - Zone 2

1,582 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Agit8r
Cru
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Nerdery,

I'm running a Yamaha RX-V671 that I purchased about 2 years ago. This past year I put in a tv on the back patio, and I'm running two speakers on zone 2. I did make a mistake and purchased a receiver that doesn't do Zone 2 video, but I cannot correct that now without purchasing a new receiver.

One thing I've noticed is that I have to crank the volume up on zone 2 significantly in order to have loud enough sound when watching television (audio connected via RCA, video connected HDMI from the satellite box direct to the tv).

What can I do to amplify the sound so I don't have to raise the volume so much on the receiver side?

I don't know much about audio, so please have patience with me.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Is there a patio volume knob that you haven't noticed? I know it sounds odd to think there'd be a switch on your home you hadn't seen, but do you have any random face plates?

My audio/video installer when I built my home put a box for a volume knob by the patio door. To increase patio volume I can increase the output from the receiver, but the volume knob limits how much it can increase outdoors.
Cru
S
Adam, good question, but no. I ran all the wires myself, and this issue only exists when watching TV out there and not with any other audio source.
Olag00
AG
quote:
(audio connected via RCA, video connected HDMI from the satellite box direct to the tv).

I am assuming your patio TV only has one connection and that is an HDMI cable from Sat Box. RCA is from your Sat Box to the your receiver some where in the house and you have speaker wire from your receiver to your patio speakers. Is this correct?

Do you have a 7.1 surround system in main viewing location of receiver or is it only a 5.1 system? Reason I ask is most receivers lose 2 channels when Zone 2 is activated since they are amplifying the different location.

Since radio/other sources play at normal loudness it seems it is the audio connection from Sat Box to receiver. Could you try replacing the RCA connection with a fiber cable?
tfunk02
AG
Zone 2 probably will not work with fiber. Most normally priced AVRs don't support digital sources on Zone 2.

I'd try to raise the volume on the Sat box (It may have it's own volume control), or change the settings on the Sat box and make sure you are in normal stereo and not a 5.1 type audio.
Cru
S
quote:
quote:
(audio connected via RCA, video connected HDMI from the satellite box direct to the tv).

I am assuming your patio TV only has one connection and that is an HDMI cable from Sat Box. RCA is from your Sat Box to the your receiver some where in the house and you have speaker wire from your receiver to your patio speakers. Is this correct?

Do you have a 7.1 surround system in main viewing location of receiver or is it only a 5.1 system? Reason I ask is most receivers lose 2 channels when Zone 2 is activated since they are amplifying the different location.

Since radio/other sources play at normal loudness it seems it is the audio connection from Sat Box to receiver. Could you try replacing the RCA connection with a fiber cable?
Below is an image of how I have it setup (ignoring Zone 1 inputs). Am I using the wrong surround speaker outputs? I don't use 7.1.

Olag00
AG
One thing I ran across is this link:

link

And this one:

second link
Cru
S
Olag00, thank you. I do have it setup that way.

I can't help but wonder if I need another amp, but I really know nothing about amps. Do I get a pre-amp?

Should I change the surround speakers to the other surround speaker output option to see if that makes a difference?

Thank you for trying to help.
Olag00
AG
I was thinking about telling you to get a small amp for the patio speakers but then you would be in a similar position except you would be turning it down instead of up when using other sources.
Waterski02
AG
You should be able to turn up the source level. Every receiver I've had that's
Had a second zone has the ability to do that.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, there should be a "zone 2 control" button and when you push that, you can turn up the volume just for that zone.
Cru
S
Waterski and Diggity, I have already done that.

Right now I'm leaning towards it being an analog source issue. I need to look and see if the satellite box has a sound level control.

I'm really out of options. Frustrated.
tfunk02
AG
Yes, make sure the Sat box doesn't have a sound level of its own, make sure your sat box is set to stereo, and make sure your Zone 2 on your receiver is also set to stereo.
Diggity
AG
so the TV volume output is fine in zone 1 but very soft in zone 2? That's strange. Is there some sort of impedance matching requirement with the amp?
tfunk02
AG
Zone 1 is by HDMI, Zone 2 is by RCA. That's why I think it is a sound encoding or sat box volume issue. Not all sat boxes can control vol over HDMI.
Diggity
AG
He should be able to broadcast the RCA input from the sat receiver over zone 1 and 2 to see if it's a problem with both zones or just zone 2 though.
tfunk02
AG
True
Agit8r
AG
Here's possibly several alternatives to your problem:

Wireless Speaker Kit with 2 Wireless Amplifiers

5.8 GHz Wireless Speaker Kit, Model 1540

Soundcast Surroundcast Kit

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.