SpaceX CRS-7

2,775 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jamaggie06
mid90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did anyone else watch it live? The vehicle disintegrated while it was still under propulsion from the first stage. Only a few moments after it experienced maximum dynamic pressure. It was loaded with cargo for the ISS, including a docking adapter for the CST-100 and Dragon 2, ~250 scientific experiments (I think I got the number right), and a Microsoft Hololens.

agfan2013
AG
Does that make two supply ships in a row that will have failed to get to the ISS? I know they plan ahead some but they're going to have to get something up to them before too long....
Picard
AG
Microsoft product on board. Coincidence? I think not.

mid90
AG
quote:
Does that make two supply ships in a row that will have failed to get to the ISS? I know they plan ahead some but they're going to have to get something up to them before too long....

The Japanese HTV will be launching soon. August or September I believe.
30_Days
AG
quote:
I heard they have 4 months of supplies on board at the moment, so these things have a lot of overlap.
This is a bummer for NASA and SpaceX though.
EMY92
AG
I think the commies have one going up in a week or so.
Bregxit
AG
Good explanation of the event and summary of recent failures and upcoming launches.

Waltonloads08
AG
Not impressed with their performance to date.

Who's money are they failing with?
YouBet
AG
That sucks.
30_Days
AG
quote:

their performance to date?
this is the first full mission failure they've ever had. the first.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

I think he's referring to the parachute test, true not a full mission but it was a failure with tax dollars nonetheless...
NICU Dad
AG
quote:

Your tax payer dollars.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:

You'd be surprised at how many people in the industry don't like SpaceX. (Not just being butthurt because of competition from SpaceX).
They never meet deadlines. Ever. Even this launch today had been pushed back past the set launch date because they weren't ready.
Picard
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
They never meet deadlines. Ever. Even this launch today had been pushed back past the set launch date because they weren't ready.

How is this worse than the government incompetence we're already used to?
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You'd be surprised at how many people in the industry don't like SpaceX. (Not just being butthurt because of competition from SpaceX).

Well that's better than proceeding with missions outside launch parameters and killing seven people to meet a deadline.
30_Days
AG
quote:
quote:

Your tax payer dollars.
and even with the failures they're still spending a fraction of the tax dollars of their competitors to deliver the same service.
kb2001
AG
quote:

They've actually had good performance to date. They're usually delayed, this mission was no different. As for their funding, they have quite a bit in federal government contracts for launch and delivery services, and about 75% of their revenue is from private companies and investors.
NICU Dad
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your tax payer dollars.
and even with the failures they're still spending a fraction of the tax dollars of their competitors to deliver the same service.

Howdy Elon, welcome to Texags.

Look, SpX is doing some really innovative things with their technology and has had a good deal of success in a short amount of time. But your comment that they've been cheaper than competitors is a bit disingenuous given they've not had the same 'rules' to follow as other similar contractors.

And for full disclosure, I don't work for any of their competitors.
Waltonloads08
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Your tax payer dollars.

hard to argue they delivered anything but expensive fireworks this weekend.

Waltonloads08
AG
Look, im not here to hate on musk or spacex for the heck of it. we deliver them money, they need to deliver results. otherwise, i dont see why they are a better use of my dollars versus a lockheed or northrop.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Look, im not here to hate on musk or spacex for the heck of it. we deliver them money, they need to deliver results. otherwise, i dont see why they are a better use of my dollars versus a lockheed or northrop.

Why are they a worse use versus a Lockheed or Northrup? All space contractors have delivered very expensive fireworks shows at some point. Some have even killed people. What makes SpaceX any different other than they're working on reusability/returnability and they haven't killed anyone yet?
mid90
AG
Space is hard. Things go boom. The only reason spacex might be getting lit up for this is that it's the 3rd failed cargo mission to the ISS since last October (Orbital Cygnus blew up on the pad, Russian Progress spun out of control upon stage separation, SpaceX Dragon blew up during the first stage).
30_Days
AG
Air Force sent self-destruct signal to SpaceX rocket after failure

quote:
"During the launch, prior to the first stage shut-off, the Falcon 9 experienced an anomaly and catastrophic failure. Following the breakup of the Falcon 9 vehicle, 45th Space Wing Mission Flight Control Officers sent command destruct functions in accordance with Air Force policy and procedures to ensure public safety."

http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/air-force-sent-destruct-signal-ill-fated-falcon-9-/nmpD3/
UmustBKidding
Ya 70 seconds later, probably should fire the RSO for not doing it sooner.
TMoney2007
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well that's better than proceeding with missions outside launch parameters and killing seven people to meet a deadline.
I'm hoping you used the wrong smiley. Proceeding outside mission parameters was NASA not the contractors.
TMoney2007
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

They are resented because people act like Elon Musk walks on water. It's a little ridiculous.
Bregxit
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm hoping you used the wrong smiley. Proceeding outside mission parameters was NASA not the contractors.

Uh, yeah. SpaceX makes the call on their launches, just like NASA does on theirs. A bit different than your average contractor. SpaceX doesn't mind being late if things aren't right. It took NASA a while to get there.
30_Days
AG
Bumping this thread because I just got around to reading the report on the investigation released a few days ago and nobody here ever posted it.

interesting bits

quote:
Prior to the mishap, the first stage of the vehicle, including all nine Merlin 1D engines, operated nominally; the first stage actually continued to power through the overpressure event on the second stage for several seconds following the mishap. In addition, the Dragon spacecraft not only survived the second stage event, but also continued to communicate until the vehicle dropped below the horizon and out of range.

so the capsule survived the explosion. If this had been a manned mission it's possible that the crew would have been safely recovered.

quote:
Preliminary analysis suggests the overpressure event in the upper stage liquid oxygen tank was initiated by a flawed piece of support hardware (a "strut") inside the second stage. Several hundred struts fly on every Falcon 9 vehicle, with a cumulative flight history of several thousand. The strut that we believe failed was designed and material certified to handle 10,000 lbs of force, but failed at 2,000 lbs, a five-fold difference. Detailed close-out photos of stage construction show no visible flaws or damage of any kind.

Look forward to the future and finding out why the strut failed at 1/5 the rated force

quote:
Despite the fact that these struts have been used on all previous Falcon 9 flights and are certified to withstand well beyond the expected loads during flight, SpaceX will no longer use these particular struts for flight applications. In addition, SpaceX will implement additional hardware quality audits throughout the vehicle to further ensure all parts received perform as expected per their certification documentation.

Awaiting news on how this will affect the CRS-8 launch in September and the testing of the F9 Heavy

http://www.spacex.com/news/2015/07/20/crs-7-investigation-update
mid90
AG
Interesting that they actually released a report. Since they're a private company I figured they might keep it close to the vest (other than coordinating with nasa). Thanks for the info.
jamaggie06
AG
When I heard that, it intrigued me. A manufactured product called a stut. Probably a unistrut or equivalent.

Have to becareful how those are used when being used in compression. Small changes in connections and application of load can drastically reduce the rated values in design tables. Not saying this is the case but, I see such things misused all the time in various industries.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.