R9 390X?

603 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Kampfers
getme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
is this card worth considering as an upgrade from and R9 280(non X)? Or is AMD just dicking around?
agdoc2001
AG
Probably not, the GPU hierarchy chart on Toms Hardware has those 2 cards as only 1 step apart. It's generally not worth the upgrade unless they are at least 2 steps apart. Also bear in mind that the 390x is just a rebranded 290x.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
getme
OK so say I go Nvidia with the intent of eventually going to a 1440p monitor, GTX 970 or 980?
agdoc2001
AG
GTX 970 is the best overall card out there in my opinion in the performance to value ratio segment. Benchmarks have shown that you can run a pretty demanding Witcher 3 at 1440p with an average of 45 fps. The 980 gives you about 56 fps. Both cards can be overclocked to give you more.

Many people say that 45fps is very playable, but some say that they can't stand anything less than 60, so that will depend on you. The other issue is, if you opt to go up to the 980, why not pay $50 more and get the 980 TI? These are the internal arguments that I have which eventually lead to me spending way too much money.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
BourbonAg
AG
I haven't assembled it yet but I want through the same thought process and ultimately settled on a super clocked 970.
BearFan
I have nothing to add to this thread other than my disappointment when I realized that it wasn't about guns from N64 GoldenEye.
BourbonAg
AG
I haven't had a chance to mess with it much, but GTA V looks great with the 970.
Kampfers
AG
Yeah not much incentive to go with the 980.

If only picking from Nvidia, definitely go with the 970 or 980ti depending on your budget and what you want to do with it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.