Old Cabinet Style Record Player

4,327 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Chipotlemonger
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have had this thing for about 2 years now. Passed down in the family.

Wondering if anyone could tell me more about it or these in general? Any value for this if I choose to move to a physically smaller record player?

Had a nice deep sound. Unfortunately only out of the right speaker. Includes an 8-track player and I have a separate amp as well I just remembered, but didn't get a pic of yet.
The Fife
They used to be found pretty much everywhere until component stereos took over. The last one I saw belonged to my grandma and I sort of wish we kept it. Yours is from about 1972. It's identical to this one, only yours has a record holder in front and the other one does not and the turntable is slightly different. Both turntables are by BSR, which aren't normally very highly regarded. Think: consumer grade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Philco-1972-Wooden-HiFi-Stereo-Console-Turntable-8track-Working-System-/261752752238

From the side that doesn't work do you get static or nothing? How about when you try and use the radio?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Wow, just noticed the links didn't work. hm
hph6203
AG
You need to use the direct link to the photo.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Last time I tried I believe I got a low humming static. That was over a year ago. Since then, I've just played it with the audio knob only turned towards the working side.
The Fife
The first thing I'd do is clean the rheostats with contact cleaner, try it again and then if you still have problems start looking for bad caps in the amplifier. Actually, before doing that I'd go ahead and connect a speaker that's known to be good just to rule out trouble with that component.

edit: if you get sound that fades out over time you'll need to have a look at the transistors. Get an ice cube, wrap it in a paper towel and touch the transistors with it. When you find the one that's going out the sound will come back.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Assuming working speakers on left and right side, these things can't really be $300 can they? (Re: the eBay sale)
The Fife
If I found one about 10 years older and more modern looking I'd absolutely pay $300. This style though... nope.
Duncan Idaho
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
If I found one about 10 years older and more modern looking I'd absolutely pay $300. This style though... nope.

That's what I figured. This one really hasn't stood the test of time in terms of aesthetics.
ZooGuy
AG
If working, worth about $1-150 at best.
nai06
AG
I see them pretty regularly for about $50-$75. The problem is that th turntables are often low quality as are the speakers. Then there is the physical size of it. Cool piece to retro fit but not worth a lot as is.
DayAg!
S
Man those things will be worth some money some day. I'd hold on to it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Update: This item is available to any in the Metroplex that have a desire for it.

Would hate to toss it if someone would want it.
The Fife
Advertise it around your nearest local liberal arts college or anywhere else hipsters would congregate.
Goldie Wilson
What's your email address?
Chipotlemonger
AG
chipotle Skelton at gmail

My news/newsletter filtering email account. I'll keep an eye out for your email.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Sold.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.