Finally about to cut the cord.

3,722 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Eliminatus
TX scallywAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Helped my parents get a Roku 3 setup this week in their new place for Amazon Prime. Also found PBS kids which is a great bonus for all their grandkids. Here come Sling TV...

No available cable companies & they're fed up with Direct TV bills from their previous house. They needed something to watch other than DVDs & BRs.

I have them running a 7 day trial of the base Sling TV package + the $5 sports package. Their internet is via a WISP provider, getting 18 mbps down/17 up. No issues streaming. They're happy overall so far.

My thoughts:
- Interface is a bit clunky. Perhaps the Roku 3 Sling TV GUI only? Any better on Xbox one?
- Channels take about 5 seconds to load up. Can be annoying for "channel flippers." Don't think this is ISP related as Prime shows and the Sling TV Guide pop up instantly
- Interesting certain channels allow pause & rewind. I didn't know any did. I wonder what determines this?

Again, not for me now but great fit for them now for $25 in their situation. I'll DL the app & toy with it as well.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
MSCAg
AG
Sling definitely needs to update their UI and servers.
MSCAg
AG
Sling definitely needs to update their UI, its not very intuitive.
MSCAg
AG
MSCAg
AG
Tp
jeffk
AG
The Xbox app is a lot snappier than the roku app at the moment, but both have gotten much better with updates over the last couple months.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
Sling is definitely a work in progress but the dev team for it is hardworking and keen to make it. It is still relatively new and with the word of mouth approach finally over and it becoming mainstream a huge backlog of demand for it popped up a la March Madness. They have learned and have been expanding like crazy. I have high hopes for them. I only see Sling getting better with time as it matures and grows.

And to be honest the cost savings are great but the main reason I am cutting the cord is to get out of the contract. As I get a bit older I find myself hating contract arrangements for services more and more. It's getting to the point of outright hostility. It's weird and I can't account for it really, but it is there. Even if it cost the same I would still opt out of the contracts. My last holdout is my phone but I am working on that as soon as I do some research and my current contract runs out.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.