WISP BCS Contact - Need Your Help: Possible Referral For You

2,722 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by sellis2003
TX scallywAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My parents are moving to Bryan and it looks like SuddenLink Cox is not available on their street.

They're living in a neighborhood with 2 acres lots of highway 30. They are currently in contact with a WISP provider their neighbor recommended, his name is Mike. If you are Mike, let's talk if not, I'd rather give you the business than Mike...

Please provide an Email or phone so I can see if you bring service to their area. I have general questions about mbps, data caps, latency, etc.

Appreciate it.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
TX scallywAG
AG
Any1 have his contact info? My rents just FWed me their current quote. Would like him to bid.
---
UmustBKidding
Don't know Mike or at least not without a last name. I know there was someone out there selling internet using repurposed sat dishes and cobbled together infrastructure. The go to guy on that side of town was Steve D. at Wixon Wireless but he sold to skybeam and best to avoid them totally. Jim at Brazos Wifi if the new solution but depending on where you are at on 30 you might not be in his coverage area. But just ask him. He will not sell you something he cannot deliver.
Its possible DSL is available depending on how far from the DSLAM you are located.
ISP supply is out there and I would ask there if Jim does not have a solution or suggestion for you. CEO is the other "professional" WISP and their coverage maps are dreams but are a possible option if you land in the right spot.
Verizon DSL Yes if available (wired always better than wireles)
Brazos Wifi Absolutely
CEO Maybe
Cybercom No (may not even exist today)
SkyBeam H377 No.
Texas Communications (bought by skybeam) See above
TX scallywAG
AG
Awesome. Thanks.

Current bid is from:
iTech / Bonaconsulting, LLC.

Neighbors have them and are happy.

Agreed @ wired.
---
sellis2003
AG

I edited this post because I used to work with Mike more than 15 years ago, we hadn't really stayed in touch, but he reached out to let me know that he left CyberCom back in 2013 and has done everything he can to distance himself from the current organization.

Mike was always a stand-up guy and I wish him nothing but success in his new endeavors!

-S
UmustBKidding
That is a negative recommendation in my book.
sellis2003
AG
I edited this post because I used to work with Mike more than 15 years ago, we hadn't really stayed in touch, but he reached out to let me know that he left CyberCom back in 2013 and has done everything he can to distance himself from the current organization.

Mike was always a stand-up guy and I wish him nothing but success in his new endeavors!

-S
sellis2003
AG
DP
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:
Just FYI Bonaconsulting is owned / run by one of the former owners / directors of Cybercom.

http://www.corporationwiki.com/Texas/College-Station/michael-bonafede/34238445.aspx

-S

Thanks for that. I've been talking directly with him. He's been very responsive.

Looks like my parents options are extremely limited in that location.

No contract, month to month with no data cap. Makes me feel a little better. Go with this option until an ISP hits up this street (new part of neighborhood).
---
TX scallywAG
AG
They did go with itech/Bona. I helped set up the install specifics via phone. Very clean end result:

- Outside a very small satellite (roughly frisbee)
- Had them install a small switch inside to connect the pre-wired 5e jacks to the LAN. They went with a 10 port microtik.
- Single WAP lit up the house

I'm surprised with speed results:
18.9 mbps download
17.2 mbps upload
Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1342717589

Month to month contract.
---
Draconei
Do you happen to have any contact info for this company?
TX scallywAG
AG
quote:

Here you are:

Email:
michael[insert "AT"]iTechbcs.com

MICHAEL BONAFEDE
"Experts in iTechnologies"
979.696.5800 office

Their neighbors also have them and are happy.

Keep the caveat above in mind about the previous company he was involved with, but he seems to be on the right track here. Plus a month to month contract.

He also went above and beyond on the install. Builders ran 5e but punched them down on a RJ11 keystone insert (goofballs, like they need 10 phones). He changed them all out RJ45 network ports. Also used his own OSP cable from satellite into attic, hidden well under eave, versus the existing home run outside which would've required visible cable down the outter wall.
---
sellis2003
AG
quote:
quote:

Here you are:

Email:
michael[insert "AT"]iTechbcs.com

MICHAEL BONAFEDE
"Experts in iTechnologies"
979.696.5800 office

Their neighbors also have them and are happy.

Keep the caveat above in mind about the previous company he was involved with, but he seems to be on the right track here. Plus a month to month contract.

He also went above and beyond on the install. Builders ran 5e but punched them down on a RJ11 keystone insert (goofballs, like they need 10 phones). He changed them all out RJ45 network ports. Also used his own OSP cable from satellite into attic, hidden well under eave, versus the existing home run outside which would've required visible cable down the outter wall.

As I noted above, I used to work with Mike, he was stand-up and I am happy to hear that he is doing well, unfortunately he is having to jump through hoops to separate himself from the current disaster of his former business.

Mike always went above and beyond, but we tackled some awesome challenges and served some really demanding clients. About the only time we ever butted heads was when I would be out onsite and he'd ring me up and say hey go ahead and take care of this (likely something completely random the client forgot to mention) while you are there. Occasionally that above and beyond approach would make you late to your next appointment, meant working through lunch or working late.

All in all though, it was a great big family environment and it's a bit of a bummer to hear that it has just collapsed.

I wouldn't associate him with the current state of affairs and I would give him the opportunity to win your business.

Thanks and Gig'Em,

-S
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.