where to buy a tv

2,190 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BEaggie08
bearamedic99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My cat broke our tv and I'll be buying one soon. Do most of you still go to brick and mortar stores for ease of service in case of warranty needs or do you shop online? Thanks.
Barry Kripke
AG
Shop online, have bb price match
AggieT
AG
Amazon
AggieJ29
AG
quote:
Shop online, have bb price match

This. No reason to wait for a TV to ship from Amazon and risk damage (happened to me twice) when you could go pick it up from Best Buy for the same price and be watching it tonight.
Tomdoss92
AG
well, if the tv also broke the cat, it's a win.
BrazosDog02
AG
You know they have to ship the TV to BB right? Unless its totally destroyed, you won't know its damaged any faster than one you order online.

I used Crutchfield for mine. MUCH better pricing than Amazon. I would have gone to Best Buy for price match and pickup....but then I would have had to GO TO BEST BUY FOR PRICE MATCH AND PICKUP.

They brought my TV to me.

EDIT: Wait...it was some Manufacturer special pricing...so it would have been the same on amazon or best buy. I just trusted Crutchfield to not dick me around if there was a problem.
agdoc2001
AG
I've purchased 4 from amazon, 1 from buydig, all showed up in perfect condition. Check Slickdeals.net daily for a good deal, buy it from an out of state vendor so there's no sales tax, use a website like FatWallet to get 1-3% cash back on your purchase. BestBuy is for suckers.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bearamedic99
AG
Thank you
YouBet
AG
quote:
My cat broke our tv....
Wait, what?
The Fife
quote:
quote:
My cat broke our tv....
Wait, what?
That's what happens when you don't listen to what the cat says.
bearamedic99
AG
The tv was simply on a stand on the entertainment center instead of wall mounted and 15 lb cat being chased by 110 lb German Shepherd was in too much of a hurry to be dainty
rangerdanger
AG
I had the exact opposite experience buying a television from Amazon as some of the other posters. I purchased a 42 inch tv from an Amazon certified seller which was never delivered. Ended up having to argue with both Amazon who pushed the blame on the seller, who of course didn't pick up with the given contact info, and UPS. After about two weeks I finally got Amazon to give me my money back. Because of this, I will never again purchase a large electronic item online.

What I do now instead is look for deals on Amazon and then go to Fry's or Best Buy and have them price match. This way you get the price you want and you get the television that day.
Aggie-matic
I bought my bigger plasma from Amazon, twice. First shipment (Amazon was the seller) produced a broken TV. Sent it back. Bought again through Amazon from a different seller and it arrived in perfect shape. It was shipped vertically strapped to a pallet.

I bet large flat screens have a very high breakage rate in shipping. the boxes just aren't good enough to reliably deal with a lot of handling.

My smaller plasma was a closeout from BestBuy.

I'll buy from anywhere that has what I want for the right price.
Absolute
AG
I used Amazon for my last one.

They used a "special" shipper and I had to arrange to be home. Box was in perfect shape. Let the guy leave. Unboxed things, moved the old set, assembled the base, then unwrapped the screen - it had spiderweb cracks all over. Put everything back. Called. They were easy to work with as far as sending a new item. But again, I had to arrange to be home during the day. Unboxed and checked everything this time before signing for the package. It was fine. But they forgot to order the shipper to take the old one for the return. He offerred to take it anyway, but that seemed like a bad idea. So I had to call again and arrange for a separate pickup. They tried to make me take ANOTHER afternoon off to be home, but I pushed back and told them to come int he evening, which they did.

CS was very nice the whole time, but overall I would have to say it was a negative experience. I would probably do the price match thing next time. Even though I really don't like Best Buy.
YouBet
AG
Bought my plasma from Amazon about 6 months ago. The shipper actually unpacked it and set it up for me and we confirmed everything was working correctly before they left. I did have some really weird popping and picture issues the first 2 weeks I had it which have never happened again so not sure what that was about.
permabull
AG
Agasaurus Tex
AG
OneCall.com
Buy a majority of my audio/video equipment from them. No tax and free shipping.
OD
So brick and mortar BB will price match online deals?
Absolute
AG
quote:
Never tried.

Honestly, you can probably shop around and watch prices and get a solid deal somewhere. When I did mine it was before Amazon started doing sales tax on their stuff. Which made an easy difference. Now you would have to make sure it is a seller not Amazon themselves, which I am not as comfortable with. But there are probably other good places to buy from online that wouldn't charge tax.

agdoc2001
AG
quote:

Only certain ones. They also do that thing where they sometimes use a different model number for the exact same product and then will tell you that the items are different so they won't match the price.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
edwardsk2003
AG
Amazon warehouse....(open box)
permabull
AG
jeffk
AG
Bought our last two TVs are WalMart. They price-matched a deal we found on Frys website last time around.
TheVarian
AG
If you have a Costco membership, they will let you return the TV with no questions asked within 90 days. Full refund
Guitarsoup
AG
bhphoto.com. Same price as Amazon, but no tax, free shipping and white glove delivery inside the door.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Pretty sure there's no tax from Crutchfield in Texas. I recall saving a chunk since the projector was the same price on amazon but also added tax.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
I had the exact opposite experience buying a television from Amazon as some of the other posters. I purchased a 42 inch tv from an Amazon certified seller which was never delivered. Ended up having to argue with both Amazon who pushed the blame on the seller, who of course didn't pick up with the given contact info, and UPS. After about two weeks I finally got Amazon to give me my money back. Because of this, I will never again purchase a large electronic item online.

What I do now instead is look for deals on Amazon and then go to Fry's or Best Buy and have them price match. This way you get the price you want and you get the television that day.
However, this does not constitute buying from Amazon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.