New PC with W8.......

2,003 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by staedtler
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally picked up a new PC to replace the dying old one. Thought about building but by the time I got it all done buying premade was actually less expensive.

It came with W8 preinstalled. Without getting into the disaster that is W8,I knew W10 would be out soon with a free upgrade and here's hoping MS has a new team writing this OS.....ugg

Set it up everything last night, things are working fine. Did not install any software, just got my log in, kids account, etc. all set up. I then allowed updates to install..what a complete mess.

I keep getting some random .NET-BroadcasEVentWindow error for IAStorlcon.exe which google did not help me fix yet. IE does not work in desktop mode, but does in Metro mode. Can't install chrome, can't get quicktime to load, media player will not load, picture viewer will not load. Finally just did a windows recovery and everything works now.

Do I even bother trying to update again, or just wait until W10 release (and bug fixes)?
Big_Russ
AG
I use W8 all the time, but build my own systems. Never had these issues.

How much bloatware came installed on your computer? The problem could stem from that.
bbattbq01
AG
quote:
I use W8 all the time, but build my own systems. Never had these issues.

How much bloatware came installed on your computer? The problem could stem from that.

Sounds like that. Try uninstalling some bloatware from add/remove program.
SpicewoodAg
AG
If this is new - call the damn vendor. There is no reason for you to experience what is happening.

On my two year old Surface RT IE worked fine in either mode.

Maybe a driver is messed up. Or the BIOS needs an update.

W8 is generally viewed as solid and stable, even if some don't like it.
mazag08
AG
The ones who don't like it normally have no idea how to use it and would rather whine than take the 30 mins to learn.
agracer
AG
quote:
The ones who don't like it normally have no idea how to use it and would rather whine than take the 30 mins to learn.
yes because having to switch between desktop and 'metro' (sometimes it does it without you wanting it too), full screen only in metro apps and all the other little annoying difficulties MS forced on desktop users with a touch screen OS is all on the user..... And how is allowing it to automatically update, and suddenly stuff stops working on me? The error I posted has been documented with another program and their is still no fix from MS.

It's a dell 8700 and actually had very little bloat ware.
quote:

Maybe a driver is messed up. Or the BIOS needs an update.

W8 is generally viewed as solid and stable, even if some don't like it.

Didn't think about the bios update so I'll look into that. It's only been a day. I know it's stable, that's why I was so surprised by the glitches after the update
agdoc2001
AG
Appears to be an Intel file for hard disk monitoring. DIsable in msconfig or uninstall in control panel.

Windows 8 is fine once you get used to it. Be sure to get a 3rd party pdf reader and associate it with your pdf files, the system level reader drove me nuts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
thewhiteegg
AG
also make sure you're running 8.1 and not the original windows 8. 8.1 added the start button and ability to boot straight to the desktop which makes things easier for some.
Diggity
AG
I use metro interface exactly never
Yellerjacket
Once I installed Classic Shell on mine, all of my gripes went away. It's like Windows 7, but better!
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Or maybe not everyone else is as smart as you think you are. Way to be helpful.
tamusc
AG
While W8 had some significant issues, especially regarding UI consistency, they fixed pretty much all of my gripes with 8.1.

If you're having that many issues with a brand new, pre-built system, I'll reiterate what others have said and get the vendor to make it right.
agracer
AG
quote:
also make sure you're running 8.1 and not the original windows 8. 8.1 added the start button and ability to boot straight to the desktop which makes things easier for some.
Running 8.1 and removed the Intel disk manager.....now, do I risk installing updates again....their are 530mb worth....

also, how do I get rid of the gmail message "log in from IE" that I keep getting every time I log in outside of Chrome...very annoying.
HECUBUS
AG
I use 7, 8,10, macs, Unix, Android, and Linux. I don't even notice when I change the OS. Work is developing SoCs for Win and Android, so I usually see Win and Android releases early. Yes, change is always annoying at first.
agracer
AG
Ran all the updates and everything is working fine.

Got Nikon View NX installed, Office, Adobe DC and a few other items. Keep getting this annoying message from McAfee that it is not on but when I click the message it shows that it is on!

Liking the SSD boot drive.

Anyone know how to get Office onto the desktop and not have to start it in Metro mode? Do I just need to go to the executable in program/files/office and create a desktop shortcut?
Bunkhouse96
AG
quote:
Anyone know how to get Office onto the desktop and not have to start it in Metro mode? Do I just need to go to the executable in program/files/office and create a desktop shortcut?

In Program list you have scroll past (To the Right) of all the Metro Apps to get to the Desktop Apps. If you are clicking on the Windows program from there (Or add that program to your tiles) it should open in desktop mode, at least mine does.
agracer
AG
It does open in desktop mode, but to open Word I have to click the tile in the METRO interface...when you close it you're dumped to the desktop.

Yet another example of the horrible user interface that is W8 (Maybe mazag08 can come back and tell me I have no idea how to use w8 again).
Diggity
AG
I have a Word icon on the taskbar. I click it, it opens in desktop. Why is that hard?
Angelo80
AG
scroll up from the metro start page, do a right click on the office program you want and click pin to taskbar. you can drag onto the desktop if you want.

it really isn't that bad when you get used to it and works really well on a touch system.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agracer
AG
quote:
I have a Word icon on the taskbar. I click it, it opens in desktop. Why is that hard?
It's not, that's why I asked how can I add it to the desktop. It wasn't immediately obvious when I was playing with it the other night.
staedtler
quote:
I think it would be a great system with a touch screen/tablet vs. what I had a few years ago when I purchased a non-touch screen laptop. I consider myself to be pretty computer savvy, but it was a complete pain in the ass to have "tiles" when you were using a mouse.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.