ARK: Survival Evolved (multi-player first-person open-world dinosaur survival game)

193,835 Views | 1466 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheEyeGuy
snizzler22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is so true. I got in a new spawn loop in a swamp one time and it was like instant death by snakes.
tss03
AG
You know Christmas is coming and I have a place that a PS4 could go... just saying.

For building tips, search YouTube for Fresonis. He has videos out that will show you how to stack foundations and layer walls. Search his channel for PVP builds for that. He has some good PVE base ideas too.

For taming, use the Dododex app or website. It will tell you what you need to get something down, and then how much you'll need and how long it will take to tame.
titanmaster_race
cr0wbar said:

memories. I miss you guys and our lovely camp

RIP in pieces Frankie
kill0509
AG
Hey, we will welcome anyone that wants to join! I'll be sure to check those videos out when I get a chance!

Honestly, I prefer games like the old NCAA football games or Destiny recently where we had lots of Ags playing together. A solid community of Ags working with each other is what makes the games more enjoyable, which I expect with ARK. Crud, Cr0wbar i'm pretty sure was in one of our NCAA dynasties back on the PS3, IIRC.

Boogie and I have no problem with trial and error to learn things, but we want anyone to feel welcome especially when they already know some things on the game! Maybe I can even talk mid into playing ARK again...
WestTXCoyote
AG
Where does one buy Ark for the PS4? I believe I saw some version on the PlayStation store for $59; seems steep. Also, what is the appropriate age for this game?
Thanks!
tss03
AG
I can't verify since I don't have a PS4, but supposedly there are two versions of Ark in the PlayStation store, but only one is correct. I think the cheaper version is the correct one. I think for $55-$60 you're getting the Scorched Earth DLC as well.

Age would depend on if you're playing online and if you're on public servers. The game itself does not contain anything too objectionable. There is blood when things eat you, and you'll poop... a lot.
kill0509
AG
The PSN deal was for $55 when I bought this and it does come with the scorched earth dlc.

Man, this game is a lot of fun but also uber-frustrating at times. We're trying to move our base to an island that has a lot of carnos on it, so it's a 1 step forward, 2 steps back right now.
AtlAg05
AG
Easiest is to load up a dino with all the pieces for a wall so you can land and start putting it up asap. Stone so they can't break it
kill0509
AG
Yeah, we had the pieces already built and carried them in. The frustrations were when we realized the plateau was not high enough to keep a TRex out. So, having to adjust a bit is all. How high does a stone wall have to be to keep a TRex out? We just have quick spike walls up right now. Very temporary. We're trying to land lock an island on the far northeast corner for the Texas Aggies clan right now. Latitude of like 12 and lobgitude of like 83 or so. That island. Are we stupid for building on it?
tss03
AG
Yeah, you're building on Carno Island. You'll need your walls to be at least 3 high to keep out rexes. Once you build your walls your challenge will be the argies. They'll keep spawning in the area and fly in from above. Then worry about the other players. You'll be highly visible as that's where people will go to level their animals, tame, or run the cave. Get your turrets and x-plants up fast if you decide to stay. And just pray a Titan doesn't spawn on the island because someone can just hit it and aggro it over to your base.

I don't recommend building on the island, but that is a good area of the map to be in for drops and resources. Think about building on the plateau at 14, 67 or build on an iceberg if you want the security of water around you. If it's not already taken, Herbivore Island in the southeast has no aggressive spawns, easy access to metal, and a cove for water dinos.
kill0509
AG
We haven't had too many issues from the argents. We wanted to catch one bad but he flew off before we could get enough tranq arrows in him. Since we're playing on a PvE servor, it sounds like the only real concern we have is if someone aggros a dino to our base. We already have some thatch foundations around the middle of the island where we want to hold our little area to build in. Our thoughts were if we don't build here, someone else will. And within a couple of days of starting to build fences and such, two guys came running through the island scoping stuff out. We found random chests and the two guys tossed down a wood foundation near the beach as well. I'm good with anyone wanting to build on the beach, we're trying to lock down the big hill in the middle as best we can.

What's the best way to set up the x-plants? Is that mainly to deter random dinos from getting too close? The issues we've been running into were getting land locked on the PvE servor. Hence why we wanted to find an island where no one had built on yet.
kill0509
AG
Oh, and herbivore island was gone a long time ago. We already checked it out a while back.
tss03
AG
The x plants were to help keep other people out. Not really necessary in PVE unless wild dinos are a problem. I'm sure you've seen it already, but you can place pillars around your base to keep others from building. Spam that whole plateau and run some down to the water to make sure you'll always have land access.
kill0509
AG
Just as you had mentioned could happen, a Titan has spawned on the island. We're checking the simple builds we have there right now and everything is fine. Is that plateau up there on a high cliff side at 14, 67? Basically, just caddy-corner from the carno island? Sorry, we appreciate all the info! Just want to make sure i'm understanding everything.
txag2k
AG
Somewhere in this thread IIRC is a screenshot of me 1v1 vs a Titan
tss03
AG

This is the place. You can see your island in the upper right. D'Funk, AtlAg, and txag2k, and I had an epic base on the left cliffside for a few weeks until the server was wiped. There's also a cut in path between the two hills to give you water access.

If you decide to build there be aware that there are several drops in the area that will keep you from building around them.
kill0509
AG
Gotcha. I'll have to check that area today and scout it out some. Folks had built on the beach there, no idea if anyone is on the plateau or not. Appreciate your help and tips! If Santa ends up bringing you a PS4 we'd be glad to have you join our clan/tribe on the game!
D`Funkaladu`
AG
I wish we could spawn in all our old bases to a single server. Would be a sight to see. Always a different location and always impressive.
AtlAg05
AG
That would be sweet.

Dfunk designed some really cool bases.
tss03
AG
Absolutely. That base was my favorite of the ones you built. It would be even better now since loot drops aren't blocked by buildings now.

Of course the one in the snow biome was impressive for its size.
AtlAg05
AG
The snow one with the golden walls was my favorite. Only half sorry someone didn't try to raid.
txag2k
AG
AtlAg05 said:

The snow one with the golden walls was my favorite. Only half sorry someone didn't try to raid.

We were planning our major raid when a server wipe happened which shorted the season by a lot. Had to with some major updates to his mod IIRC.

Fun PvP times.
D`Funkaladu`
AG
Yep, good times. We were always so close to finishing before the server wipe.
wee_ag
AG
I've forgotten how great this game is...

kill0509
AG
Bump.

New Ragnarok map and the full game drop on PS4 this month on August 29th. Anyone getting it?

tss, ever get that PS4?
AtlAg05
AG
Going to be an interesting launch. Getting almost daily patches now and I still can't believe they are charging $60
kill0509
AG
There have a been SEVERAL updates in the last week or so. I've really enjoyed the most recent ones, especially finally having some freedom to build into the side of terrain and not be limited or "obstructed" by it. We are working on getting our Hyaenodon pack leveled up so that we can run the caves a little more easily.
tss03
AG
Nope, no PS4.

Definitely don't buy it now at $60. Supposedly it had to be bumped up for final release on Xbox, PS4, and PC. It will probably get back down to its normal price soon.
txag2k
AG
Most bloated game I have ever seen. Not worth $60 IMO. That said, I've put so many hours in Good times.
tss03
AG
That's not bloat, that's a feature! They do that so you aren't able to put more games on your drive, thus allowing you to concentrate on Ark.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
So, randomness last night. Out of all of the servers online... I'm on a PVE ragnarok server... one of the few hi pops... Max dino level is 300 and I see a 260 Ptera... shoot it and take it down. Out of the blue someone starts wailing on the stupid thing. I jump down and who is it? Dfunk. Crazy.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Ark03
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

So, randomness last night. Out of all of the servers online... I'm on a PVE ragnarok server... one of the few hi pops... Max dino level is 300 and I see a 260 Ptera... shoot it and take it down. Out of the blue someone starts wailing on the stupid thing. I jump down and who is it? Dfunk. Crazy.
Wow, you guys are still playing? I don't think I've signed on in almost two years. What's new these days?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Ark03 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Wow, you guys are still playing? I don't think I've signed on in almost two years. What's new these days?
A.LOT.

The server we're on is freaking nuts.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.