home network options?

1,466 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by G. hirsutum Ag
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Like many people there are parts of my house that my wifi doesn't reach. Unfortunately one of those areas is right about where I use my iPhone while laying in bed (to be read my wife is using all of our data cruising Pinterest every night). I tried putting high gain antennas on my router but that didn't seem to do much. Are there new routers out now that are more powerful? If I could just swap out the router and fix my problems that would be the easiest. Or what about setting up a wireless access point using a similar router and a power line adapter in my bedroom? Is that even possible? I don't have to have blazing fast internet in my bedroom, just enough to get by not really any streaming or anything. What about a repeater? I had a network extender at one point and It worked but I hated it because it cut my bandwidth in half. I can't move my modem because I need a wired connection for work because our VPN uses a lot of bandwidth. I almost think if I could run a hard line from my modem up into the attic and have my router up there it might work better until it over heats in the summer. I'm a moron with computers but I can follow directions, I need someone to walk me thru step by step (buy this model, put this firmware, do this, do that, etc.) Thanks.
TX scallywAG
AG
Wireless bridge is an option.

How difficult would cabling be in the environment?

Check out Ruckus wifi. Uses an algorithm to point antennas at devices rather than just tossing out a "halo" of wifi. How many square feet? R500 should cover it. They're proud of those WAPS though.

I'm not an apple person but they make. USB to RJ45 Ethernet adapters so you can hardwire in your Android phone. Sure there is something similar for iphone.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
My house is 2400sqft. My master bedroom has 4 walls between it and the office were the router is but it is on the same side of the house. There are a few other dead spots but it isn't too big of a deal on those. Cabling may not be too difficult other than my master having three exterior walls so there is insulation to deal with. I could fish a cat5 line up the wall in my office, I just worry about the heat being in south Texas. That's why I was thinking about doing the power line adapter then hooking up a access point might be a good option.
TX scallywAG
AG
Nah, heat will be fine. We have it run through non HVAC warehouses all the time. Also, running all through my attic with coax as well. 100 degrees & 100% humidity often here. No issues.

Power adapter is an option. Copper is copper but it'd just run a fee cables personally.
---
Class of '10 - A&M Undergrad & Master's Alum
BrazosDog02
AG
Dude.

Get a tp link mb300 and install ddwrt on it and then use the client bridge (routed) option. It will wireless connect to the other router and the you connect to the new one. Costs 20 bucks.
Tailgate88
AG
Ubiquiti WAPs use POE and cost about $60. Great WAPs and great range.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Link to router and software install walk through?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
My modem also has wireless built into it, moto surfboard. I wonder if I could use that wireless then put that ddwrt software on my current router then run it wirelessly into my attack to boost my coverage?

Current router is Dlink DIR-835. Is a wireless bridge like that even possible?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Looks like 100' of cat6 cable is less than $20. Seems like the best and simplest solution is to run it thru the wall into the attic and have my router centered up there. That way I won't have to reconfigure anything and my network can run just like it is now. My only question is would having the router centered in the attic like that have any problems with signal getting to my devices under it? Should I mount it upside down or turn the antennas pointing down to help with coverage?
dubi
AG
I have my cable modem with wireless on one side of my house. It has a wired cat5e run thru the attic to the far side and I have a wireless access point. Problem solved.

Everything is on one subnet so my printers and NAS device are accessible by all devices.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
The cable is in the attic or the WAP is in the attic? I was thinking of putting the WAP in the attic in the dead center of my house. The operating temp of the router is 32--104 degrees
QBCade
AG
quote:
The cable is in the attic or the WAP is in the attic? I was thinking of putting the WAP in the attic in the dead center of my house. The operating temp of the router is 32--104 degrees

I would put the single WAP in the attic in the center. Don't turn it upside down or anything. You should get good coverage like that.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Success! Just finished it up today. Bought 100' of cat6 line from Amazon managed to get it run into the wall and into the attic then got the WAP moved. It has 3 antennas so I pointed the outside two kinda pointing downward towards the corners of the house and the middle one I laid flat pointing towards my master bedroom. I found a ledge to set it on to get it up out to the insulation. There are a few air ducts close by so they will provide a little cooling effect, hopefully they don't mess with my signal too much though. Will have to see how it survives the summer. Of course will be slightly inconvenient to go to the attic to reset it but will be worth it to have better wifi signal. I'm currently sitting in one of my old dead spots and I'm at almost 100% signal. Giddy up. Thanks for the advice
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
50-75% at the far corner of my master bedroom, about the same in other corners of the house. Strong enough to stay connected and get decent enough speeds. Doubt I can get it much better
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.