Apple Watch

6,089 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by BMoreBirds
ashleyschaeffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know someone on here has to have it already, let's see some pics and get some first impressions.

howdydamnit04
AG
Barry's got one... But you don't want to see pictures of what he's doing with it.
Wildmen03
AG
http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2616179/

http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2607992/
Pman17
AG
People are complaining about the watch draining the iPhone battery.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/26/apple-watch-iphone-battery/

I'm guessing this just depends on how you use it. For some it's the opposite because they don't have to pull their phone out of the pocket every time to turn on the screen and view messages.

One guy says the Watch memorizes all your Wifi passwords so you can leave your phone at home, go to someone else's house with wifi your phone knows and you still get messages on your Watch.
Barry Kripke
AG
quote:
Barry's got one... But you don't want to see pictures of what he's doing with it.

Seek help.
ashleyschaeffer
quote:
http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2616179/

http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2607992/

May have missed it but no one here owns one in those links right?
k20dub
AG
Mine comes in this afternoon. Will let you know
CyclingAg82
AG
I ordered mine within 10 minutes of the site going live - and mine will not ship till May 13th at the earliest.

Really look forward to using it - especially the health & fitness apps.
schmendeler
AG
I tinkered with one for a minute or two at the store. it' very pleasant to touch and manipulate, but I don't know if it will actually be worth the money or not. i'd like to hear exactly what it can do with and without a phone in the immediate proximity. if the adoption really takes off, I can see where it would be cool.
zurcaled11
AG
I saw a new commercial for it yesterday where people are using it in their daily lives and I dont think a single person used the dial on the right. (Unless they did at the beginning, I noticed about halfway through that they all touched the screen.)

Thought it was odd since that dial seemed to be a big point Apple harped on and is the main reason they couldn't waterproof it.
txag2k
AG
Got to play around with one the other day and it seemed pretty neat. No way i think a battery would last a few hours till it would die on me. I'd consider a second or third generation, maaaaaaybe.
lobwedgephil
Well, my battery hasn't gotten below 20% since the first day, so battery life isn't a big concern, just charge when you go to bed.
CyclingAg82
AG
I went to an Apple Store today, tried it on, and looked at how the apps appeared. I also played with different watch faces.

It is very comfortable to wear, can't wait to get it. I ordered the 42 mm size. The digital crown is smooth to operate and very responsive.
MaroonStain
AG
There may be an issue
schmendeler
AG
that's pretty hilarious. i'm probably a jerk on this, but I don't really feel bad for people that have huge sleeve tats.
tamusc
AG
Even more problems
k20dub
AG
Loving mine so far! Battery has been great, used it for 18 hours yesterday and still had 40% when I got home. If you golf, they have an app that tells you where you are on the hole, shows a GPS of your location and you can keep track of your score all on your watch.
kb2001
AG
quote:
There may be an issue
That's funny. I always knew Apple watches were racist
SpicewoodAg
AG
I am interested in the Watch as a distant observer. It is 95% certain I will not buy one for many reasons but most of all because I do not have an iPhone and don't want one.

Maybe there will be a smartwatch worth throwing away $400+ on and to be replaced in one or two years but I haven't seen it yet (from anyone).

I am most interested in the Watch as an AAPL shareholder, and I think it is not looking so special right now.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2015/05/01/botched-apples-second-flop-is-at-hand/
tamusc
AG
Ouch, pretty rough analysis.
Madmarttigan
AG
quote:
What do we expect, there is NO POINT to the watch, and except for fanboys the masses are not dropping 400 bucks on something that really serves little to no purpose without your phone.
AggieFrog
AG
The analysis is spot on for version 1. I'm more curious to see version 2 or 3 . The original iPhone wasn't nearly as good as the 3G or 4.

That said, iOS still has a ways to go before I'd move back from Android.
hph6203
AG
quote:
I am interested in the Watch as a distant observer. It is 95% certain I will not buy one for many reasons but most of all because I do not have an iPhone and don't want one.

Maybe there will be a smartwatch worth throwing away $400+ on and to be replaced in one or two years but I haven't seen it yet (from anyone).

I am most interested in the Watch as an AAPL shareholder, and I think it is not looking so special right now.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2015/05/01/botched-apples-second-flop-is-at-hand/

What makes you think that the Apple Watch even projects to have a 1-2 year re-up cycle? There are several reasons that phones have been on that upgrade path, but hardly any other piece of tech gets upgraded that quickly. Phones have had some pretty significant milestones every other generation if you look at their history.

IPhone: multi-touch
IPhone 3g: 3g
IPhone 4: retina display
IPhone 5: 4g
IPhone 6: screen size

What could possibly be added that could make the Watch interest upgrade cycles like that? Battery life, data connectivity, and GPS are the only things I can think of, and battery life isn't going to be a feature that they tout on its own.

CPU power, display (unless it's truly revolutionary), battery life and thinness aren't going to elicit a lot of replacement purchases in the same way replacement purchases haven't been huge with the iPad.

I do however think there is a lot of functionality you can get out of the watch form factor and it will ultimately be appealing after they flesh it out in the next version or two. It's not going to be the watch you wear in a suit, but an everydautoility device.
zurcaled11
AG
Wouldn't surprise me if Apple made moderate improvements each year for battery life/waterproofing/gps/etc but also limits features for newer versions. Say drawings-to-text functionality, or sleep tracking (w/ the better battery), or other software improvements. Also wouldn't surprise me if the next years watch only worked with the newest apple phones and phased out older phones. (not entirely sure how far back compatability is currently).
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
quote:

What makes you think that the Apple Watch even projects to have a 1-2 year re-up cycle? There are several reasons that phones have been on that upgrade path, but hardly any other piece of tech gets upgraded that quickly. Phones have had some pretty significant milestones every other generation if you look at their history.

IPhone: multi-touch
IPhone 3g: 3g
IPhone 4: retina display
IPhone 5: 4g
IPhone 6: screen size

What could possibly be added that could make the Watch interest upgrade cycles like that? Battery life, data connectivity, and GPS are the only things I can think of, and battery life isn't going to be a feature that they tout on its own.

CPU power, display (unless it's truly revolutionary), battery life and thinness aren't going to elicit a lot of replacement purchases in the same way replacement purchases haven't been huge with the iPad.

I do however think there is a lot of functionality you can get out of the watch form factor and it will ultimately be appealing after they flesh it out in the next version or two. It's not going to be the watch you wear in a suit, but an everydautoility device.
The battery will die in less than two years, as most li-ion batteries do. So people will be replacing them before long.

I also see the potential for people getting bored with them. They will get tired of one day battery life, lack of GPS, and other watches will be introduced that work with more than iPhones. I am skeptical about the watch form factor completely - from Apple or anyone else. I could be wrong of course. The fact that they cost so much will keep some people using them longer than if they just cost $150.
BQ88
AG
Impressions after using the watch:

1. HR and activity monitoring is excellent. Notification to "get up and move" is useful to me.
2. Notifications/messaging/email is useful--especially when in a meeting and a quick glance suffices.
3. Well integrated with the phone. Set up is via the phone and app notifications are easy to control.
4. No probs with battery life on either the watch or the phone.
5. The taptic engine is pretty cool.

During the Mayweather fight, pretty cool to get tapped on the wrist and simply glance down and see the round scoring after each round.

Nice to have the phone in the charger and being able to know when calls/messages come in.

Not too much I don't like yet and looking forward to seeing how I use it over the coming weeks.
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:
quote:
What do we expect, there is NO POINT to the watch, and except for fanboys the masses are not dropping 400 bucks on something that really serves little to no purpose without your phone.

Many said this exact same thing after the iPad launch. I'm not getting one and don't have an iPhone just wanted to point that out.
Kooch 3:16
AG
quote:
Impressions after using the watch:

1. HR and activity monitoring is excellent. Notification to "get up and move" is useful to me.
2. Notifications/messaging/email is useful--especially when in a meeting and a quick glance suffices.
3. Well integrated with the phone. Set up is via the phone and app notifications are easy to control.

During the Mayweather fight, pretty cool to get tapped on the wrist and simply glance down and see the round scoring after each round.

Nice to have the phone in the charger and being able to know when calls/messages come in.

Not too much I don't like yet and looking forward to seeing how I use it over the coming weeks.

I agree with all of this. I have found it to be pretty useful and the best part is I've actually used my phone less. It's been nice.
CyclingAg82
AG
Thanks for posting these notes on Apple Watch.

Got my sport apple watch band on Friday and my watch hopefully ships this week.

May 13th Update: Just checked the Apple Store website and it states that my watch order is preparing for shipment. Finally!

Cannot wait to get my hands on it and try it out cycling.
CyclingAg82
AG
quote:
Quote:Impressions after using the watch:

I received my watch on Thursday, May 14.

After using the watch for two days, I agree with this assessment. It is also nice not having to pull the phone out of your pocket every time you have a message or phone call or email for that matter. The health and fitness apps are fantastic, looking forward to discovering new functionalities and apps for this device.

Kooch 3:16
AG
Not having my phone out all the time is clearly the biggest benefit I've discovered so far. It's pretty awesome to be untethered.

(note: I'm posting from my phone right now)
AggieFrog
AG
quote:
Not having my phone out all the time is clearly the biggest benefit I've discovered so far. It's pretty awesome to be untethered.

(note: I'm posting from my phone right now)

Only problem is that looking at the watch is about as bad as pulling the phone out when around folks (folk ask of there's somewhere else you need to be). I don't wear my Pebble as much anymore because of it.
Desert Power
AG
So those that have bought one, is there any regret at getting it? One review I read on Gizmodo is that the whole watch feels like a beta product and not yet ready for the prime time. I plan on getting the sport 42mm but it still is a lot of money. Those that have it, should I wait till next year?
AgsWin2011
AG
I don't have the watch but I would wait for the next version. I heard the watch is kind of slow and it's way too expensive. I'd wait for a price drop and/or new version. Have they released sales numbers yet?
JAW3336
AG
quote:
quote:
Only problem is that looking at the watch is about as bad as pulling the phone out when around folks (folk ask of there's somewhere else you need to be). I don't wear my Pebble as much anymore because of it.

I get that all the time with my galaxy gear.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.