Auto-check Howdy for class availability?

1,795 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by EMY92
Marklar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone heard of people using scripts to automatically check to see if classes have become available? I've heard of people at other schools doing this, and was wondering if anyone had successfully implemented something.

I found something on the registrar page saying:
quote:
Users are prohibited from using a "bot," a "script," or other third-party programs to register for classes. Doing so will likely result in exceeding the maximum number of allowed online registration transactions and the loss of registration privileges in Howdy for the term. Students exceeding their limit of online registration transactions will have to conduct any future registration activity for the semester with academic advising staff during open registration.
However, if the script was just checking for availability, and not actually registering, I don't presume it would be an issue.
AtlAg05
AG
It doesn't really say only when you hit the button to register for the class it's prohibited. Registering for class includes using their system.

Not worth getting banned in my opinion. I'm guessing you are trying to get a specific prof?
AggieJason
AG
Clearly the intent of the rule is to forbid those with more technical acumen from having a competitive advantage.

Is the risk of losing online-registration privileges worth it in this case? I imagine that answer is very different if you're a fish vs. a graduating senior.

Personally, I hated the advistors / registrars offices. I would not do ANYTHING that put me in jeopardy of having to go talk to them.

Can you not ask your advisor to force you into a class?
Marklar
AG
Ok, I guess yall are probably right. I was trying to get a specific prof for diff eq. I'm currently enrolled in a section that meets at the exact same time slot, and if I can't switch I will be content with him. My advisor can't force math classes outside the department, and I don't want to drop my current class to fill out a force request. I guess I'll just keep checking on my own.
CrottyKid
AG
Is there a site that doesn't require you to login that shows how many seats are available? I haven't used Howdy in years, so I don't remember if there is some other page that A&M have that shows seat availability. If there is, you could just autocheck that page and have your computer alert you when the content changes.
Sentinel
AG
There is a public site but it doesn't show registration numbers.
Al Bula
AG
My, how technology changes our expectations. After looking it it up, Fall 2001 was the first time students at Texas A&M could register for Spring 02 courses online.

Before that, you were relegated to calling the telegrade system and hoping you wouldn't get a busy signal. You had to manually input the four digit department code, three digit course code and three digit section code (ACCT 209 501). Pain in the ass!

Now students expect to get notifications when courses open up
schmendeler
AG
quote:
My, how technology changes our expectations. After looking it it up, Fall 2001 was the first time students at Texas A&M could register for Spring 02 courses online.

Before that, you were relegated to calling the telegrade system and hoping you wouldn't get a busy signal. You had to manually input the four digit department code, three digit course code and three digit section code (ACCT 209 501). Pain in the ass!

here
permabull
AG
EMY92
AG
quote:

You left out the part where it would hang up on you while you frantically searched for a different class when the one you wanted was full.

You'd get the "Goodbye!", click!

I always had a few classes that I knew would have room to register for and drop just to keep the system from hanging up on me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.