Dallas Comic Con

1,888 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Kate Beckett
CAR96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can anyone shed some light on what there is to do at one of these Comic Con's? There is one coming to Dallas at the end of May; thinking about going, not really into comics and don't really know any of the actors from the Sci Fi genre.

http://www.fanexpodallas.com/

Is it just a complete total dork fest or is there some interesting things to experience?
Knife_Party
Not sure, but if you don't know any of the actors from their list...what have you been doing with your life??? Carrie Fisher??? Nathan Fillion??? Ernie The ****ing Man Hudson???
Phil Garner
quote:
Not sure, but if you don't know any of the actors from their list...what have you been doing with your life??? Carrie Fisher??? Nathan Fillion??? Ernie The ****ing Man Hudson???

So, of you don't know these characters you haven't done anything with your life?

You need to re-evaluate everything. I know none of them and have an extrordinarily fulfilling life.

Edit: read again, and have decided I missed the sarcasm...please tell me I'm right.
AliasMan02
AG
Your worry about whether or not it's a "dorkfest" means it's probably not for you.

Generally these are events for fans to go and enthusiastically be fans. Go hear people speak about pop culture stuff. Drop a few bucks and get an autograph or picture taken with a favorite creative type. See and buy cool merch and collectibles. Get a sketch from a favorite artist or find a new favorite. Maybe dress up as a favorite character and spend the day taking pictures with people. Play some games or learn some new ones.

It's a lot of fun if you're willing to just have fun and hang out with friends and not worry about what the kids at the cool table in the cafeteria are saying about you.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
These things are nerd heaven. If you cant let yourself geek out, dont go. Been to several and a even led a panel last year.... Btw, whenever there is a nerd off, that is nearly trump card... But they are really fun if you can get over yourself and enjoy it. Plus, very hot cosplay. I developed a love for Harley Quinn just from comicpalooza..,,
Knife_Party
Hahahaha. Yes it was sarcasm. Although, I am a little surprised that someone wouldn't know Carrie Fisher or at least recognize her character from a movie still since she's a main character in 3 of the highest domestic grossing movies of all time.
permabull
AG
CAR96
AG
Thanks for the input. I didn't intend to offend anyone, I am probably going to go.

I was wondering if it was similar to a car/motorcycle show where you just look at a bunch of cool stuff but don't really get to experience anything.....kinda frustrating.

Yes, I do know who Carrie Fisher is...as I am old enough to remember seeing Star Wars when it came out in the movie theater.

I kinda recognize some of the other actors, but I am not into a lot of TV Sci Fi stuff. I don't like Walking Dead or Doctor Who....etc.
Jasomania
AG
There are lots of things going on during it but sort of there are five main activities you can do at these.

First is you can look around the dealers area and buy stuff. The dealer shops are pretty varied and have all sorts of stuff (comic books, tee shirts, toys, games, art, pretty much anything nerd related). That is a pretty big part, the dealer floor is huge and takes hours if you go through and look at all the stuff.

Second you can go to panels. They will have a massive schedule of stuff you can see panels on, it can be like specific tv shows or like star wars or DIY stuff, its pretty varied. These are also your chance to see the celebrities talk for free (well not free but not for any extra money other than your admission price). All the big celebrities will have at least one panel they will do which will be them talking and a lot of Q&A.

Third you can play games. This can be like board games, or table top games, or video games. I've never really done this so i'm not sure exactly how it works but generally a lot of people are just playing games the whole time. They generally have some sort of video game tournament as well.

Fourth you can buy autographs / pictures with celebrities. The celebrity autographs/pictures pretty much always cost extra and can be expensive. some of the photo ops can be like over a hundred dollars and most autographs are between 30 and 75 dollars each.

Lastly you can people watch and check out all the people in costumes. There will be a lot of people in costumes and they will just be roaming around the entire convention. Some are amazing and some are terrible, the people are pretty nice and you can generally take their picture / take pictures with them if you ask. They will also have a costume contest at some point and you can see the best of the best at that (it'll just be like a panel and not cost extra).

It's a pretty good time, the people watching is worth the price of admission alone. you may not be into comic books but there is a huge variety of nerd things there so you'd be hard pressed not to find a shop selling something that you nerd out on.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I go every year. Lots of boobs.
double aught
AG
Yeah, when (and why) did hot chicks get into these things and start dressing up? I feel like that's a pretty recent turn.
Jackass2004
AG
Just bring a couple of Benjamins. That will get you a handy in the bathroom. Great before a panel.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Yeah, when (and why) did hot chicks get into these things and start dressing up? I feel like that's a pretty recent turn.

I wish I was growing up in this era of mainstream geekery.
PooDoo
AG
quote:
I go every year. Lots of boobs.
Both male and female.
Kate Beckett
AG
Not a big super nerd but I have been the past two years and going again this year. Great time.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.