Was My Cloud 4TB Hard Drive

1,612 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by gibby03
gibby03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thoughts? I saw this in Best Buy and I've been looking to setup something to stream movies and such I have ripped on another hard drive. This can connect to Google Chromecast, which I have so I thought it'd be a good idea.

Any thoughts? Other ideas to backup computer and be able to stream content to existing TV setup with Chromecast?

EDIT***** - Obvioulsy, I mean't Western Digital not was in the thread title.
hunter2012
AG
Check the Aggienetwork.com thread.
gibby03
AG
Naw, I read through that thread and I don't want to deal with that, unless there is something I missed, I don't want to put all my stuff through there.
hph6203
AG
Streaming from Google drive would be a pretty bad experience, just guessing.

You can get pretty much any NAS hard drive and do that, I'm just not sure about transcoding requirements for the Chromecast, and I can almost guarantee you that any of the cheaper NAS drives won't be able to do that.
gibby03
AG
So, what would be the best and simplest ways to take old DVD movies, rip them into a single file onto a hard drive and stream them to my TV?

I've thought about buying an Apple TV and doing it that way. What would be respectable to use with the Apple TV to store all those data files? I just don't have enough room on the MAC at home.

Or do you think this won't work either?
SpicewoodAg
AG
Rip your movies to a hard drive on a PC capable of running Plex Server.

Use a Roku or many other devices that have a Plex player.
dubi
AG
quote:
Thoughts? I saw this in Best Buy and I've been looking to setup something to stream movies and such I have ripped on another hard drive. This can connect to Google Chromecast, which I have so I thought it'd be a good idea.

Any thoughts? Other ideas to backup computer and be able to stream content to existing TV setup with Chromecast?

EDIT***** - Obvioulsy, I mean't Western Digital not was in the thread title.
Some of the WD "My cloud" NAS items have gotten really poor reviews. Due diligence is necessary in this case. I have had one for 3 years, but noticed that the newer models were failing more frequently.
gibby03
AG
So since you have a My Cloud would it be capable of doing what I'm asking? Streaming movies on my wifi network?
dubi
AG
quote:
So since you have a My Cloud would it be capable of doing what I'm asking? Streaming movies on my wifi network?

I have one of the older one that supports DLNA streaming but most of my movies are AVI format and I just play them using my computer. I was too lazy to rip them into a more usable format and the kids are grown.

It does NOT support raid (single 3TB drive), but is accessible from the web so I can see my home files from work which is very nice. I think it is 3 or 4 years old now and probably reaching end of life soon.

I have a new Netgear 4 bay NAS that i received as part of the "friends and family" thread on the Nerdery. It is very nice, but I just use it for backups and don't take advantage of any of the functionality. I don't believe that it supports streaming. It is running Raid 1 with 4 x 3TB iomega red drives.

10 best NAS drives (older article)
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
Rip your movies to a hard drive on a PC capable of running Plex Server.

Use a Roku or many other devices that have a Plex player.

This.
bigboykin
AG
Chromecast streams Plex just fine, BTW.
gibby03
AG
So I ended up buying the 4 TB WD My Cloud. Simple hook up. So easy my wife could've done it.

Downloaded PLEX app on my iPhone, created an account on the computer. And voila, streaming content to my Chromecast. About to start the process of moving everything over to the hard drive.

Tested it out while out and about in town on just cell phone service, I have the unlimited plan from AT&T, and it worked just fine.

Probably going to go the route of either buying a subscription to a website backup like Carbonite to backup the hard drive or maybe even look into creating an email account to use with the Aggie Network revelations we've all learned here lately.

So far I'm happy. Thanks for the info guys.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.