Galaxy S6? or something else?

8,699 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by EMY92
Barry Kripke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I have had the s6 since April 10th. I came from all iphones Previously. After I disabled google Now, my battery is 4.5 to 5 hours of screen on time. I honestly love this phone and won't go back. It has not lagged on me once. It's super fast and the screen and camera are amazing.

So you have to disable one of the better android features to have not horrible battery life? Brilliant. Problem solved!
culdeus
AG
I can deal with bad battery life if I can swap batteries. It's why I left apple. The no swapping battery thing is troublesome to me.
MW03
AG
I still haven't had any bad battery life. Lowest I've run the phone down was Saturday night and it got to like 47%. Only things I've turned off are auto-dimmer and haptic feedback. Biggest asset to me is the wireless charging. I keep mine at work, and my phone basically sits on it all day. Instead of keeping it in my desk or placed randomly, it just sits fully charged on the pad until I take off with it. Pretty slick.
AgEng06
AG
quote:
So you have it on the charger all day but haven't had poor battery life yet?

Can anyone else confirm these findings?
Can you just go away? Everyone on here knows how you feel about Android devices, so we don't need you to tell us again.
MW03
AG
quote:
So you have it on the charger all day but haven't had poor battery life yet?

Can anyone else confirm these findings?
Granted, the ability to do two things at once is still a relatively new concept for iPhone guy; however, those were two separate "findings." I'm sure you understand that on Saturday, the phone was not on the wireless charger which I explained was at work. And even then with relatively heavy use including about 45 minutes of google maps, I only dropped just under 50%.

So, point 1, for anyone concerned about battery life, I'd highly recommend the samsung wireless pad to keep the phone topped off. However, point 2, it's been my experience that the battery life is about average even when off the charger since the AM and being used consistently throughout the day. At least average compared to what my wife gets with her iPhone.
Madmarttigan
AG
I keep my phone on the pad for about an hour at night and don't have to worry about battery life at all.
Ag12thman
AG
quote:
I keep my phone on the pad for about an hour at night and don't have to worry about battery life at all.

So this pad must charge the phone pretty swiftly. Correct?
agproducer
AG
Any thoughts on the M8? or M9? I'm due to upgrade from my S3.
lawless89
It seems like guys who are charging it on the pad are having no complaints about battery life...is it possible for the pad to be getting the phone to hold a better charge? I'm plugging mine in by 1pm every day. Usually when I unplug it from the bedside and get ready for work in the morning it's already down to 90% by the time I leave...and it's just been sitting in my pocket for half an hour
EMY92
AG
I don't think using the pad or cord should change how long a battery holds the charge. The difference is how long it will take to charge, pads will slower.

I took my phone off the cord at 6 am this morning. A few phone calls, check weather/radar several times, browse the local news app and Fox News, and a few emails and had 87% left at noon.
Madmarttigan
AG
I haven't tested, but I actually feel like the pad charges significantly faster. I have no idea how it works or why, but mine charges very slowly on the cord so I prefer the pad. The pad can be a little finicky with how you position your phone but it definitely seems to charge effectively. I do have a pretty thin case as, well so I'm not sure if it varies based on case thickness and so forth.

You should not be losing 10% battery within 30 minutes, you might be having battery issues like a previous poster. I'm at 98% after over an hour and talking on the phone for a bit.
EMY92
AG
Andrew, you might have a phone with a bad battery. In your position, I'd take it back for a warranty exchange.

I wanted to see what I lost when the phone was on stand by and not being used. Last night I charged it to 100% then disconnected the charger. This morning after 8 hours of sitting there, the battery read 94%.

I don't use any of the power saving modes and haven't turned off anything that people recommend to improve battery life.
lawless89
Yeah I have got to take it in. This is ridiculous. I shouldnt have to turn a bunch of stuff off and keep the screen at 20% just to make it to 3pm.

Almost makes me want to take it back in and go back to apple. Which I may consider doing.
AgDev01
AG
Can you post a screenshot of the battery usage?
lawless89
Too late...she gone!

Went and exchanged it for iPhone 6plus.

Even when I was in the store for 30 min it went from 23% to 8%. Guy thought it was defective.

Reason I went back to iPhone is because I took a chance and switched to Samsung to see what all the hype was about and gave them and android a chance. I was let down. Not saying this is the case for everyone, but I've never had a single problem with any of my iPhone's (except when they shatter from being slammed in a car door). So I would much rather be with a product that I know is going to work and work well.
lawless89
Also, on the s6e I never saw it have more than 2 bars of signal. And I was in downtown Dallas, Houston, Denver and Louisville during those two weeks I had it. Might have been part of the problem as well.
MW03
AG
Sorry you got a bum one, but good man for giving it a shot. I feel the same way about Mazdas. Got one lemon many years ago and I'll never, ever buy another one.
Madmarttigan
AG
Don't blame you the whole reason I got this thing was because my iPhone 5 battery was terrible. I probably would go back to apple if the same happened to me.
AgEng06
AG
Looks like the S6 Active rumors are taking off again with the leak of a few photos yesterday. Looks like this thing is going to happen and relatively soon. I will wait for it to decide between the two S6 versions.
OD
Lumia phones have pretty good battery life.
Post removed:
by user
OD
quote:
quote:
Too late...she gone!

Went and exchanged it for iPhone 6plus.

Even when I was in the store for 30 min it went from 23% to 8%. Guy thought it was defective.

Reason I went back to iPhone is because I took a chance and switched to Samsung to see what all the hype was about and gave them and android a chance. I was let down. Not saying this is the case for everyone, but I've never had a single problem with any of my iPhone's (except when they shatter from being slammed in a car door). So I would much rather be with a product that I know is going to work and work well.

Cool, glad you found something that worked for you. I love my Android, you love your iPhone. Barry just achieved full release and will quote this forever and ever.
millertyme
AG
T-mobile has the S6 and Edge on sale this weekend. You can get the 64 GB for the price of the 32 GB and the 128 GB for price of the 64. Basically, knocks about $80 off of the price.
SpicewoodAg
AG
The LG G4 is coming soon. Builds on the excellent G2 and G3. Interestingly enough it adds a replaceable battery and a microSD slot.
Nom de Plume
AG
Sucks you ditched a great phone because of a bad battery.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
The LG G4 is coming soon. Builds on the excellent G2 and G3. Interestingly enough it adds a replaceable battery and a microSD slot.

This is what I'm looking at. I loved those features in my Samsung s4 - replaceable battery is a must-have. I need to check out the G4 in person before I'm certain, but that's the way I'm leaning.
Cromagnum
AG
Picked up my S6 Edge yesterday. So far have been pretty impresses with it. The build quality is nails, it feels great in my hand (TWSS), it's fast, and so far the battery life blows the door off of my old HTC One.
millertyme
AG
quote:

I'm using a Versus leather wallet style case right now, and I'm liking it a lot. Wireless charging works through it as well.

I accidentally ordered the Edge version of this case and was trying to exchange it for the S6 version with little success. If anyone wants it, I'll sell it to you for the $6.99 I paid plus whatever shipping will be (I live out of state).
millertyme
AG
Also, I just bought my S6 over the weekend. I can get it to connect to my bluetooth in my car but it will not reconnect when I get back into my car. Has anyone had that problem before?
MW03
AG
I did. I think I fixed it by deleting the BT profile, then when it reconnected, it took me to a security lock page on the phone where I had to authorize it by fingerprint as a trusted device. I'm not sure how to get to that page after the initial setup (which is why I deleted it and re-added).
E.KingTrill
S6edge users:

Have you noticed any glare due to the curved screen? I'm really indifferent on looks, the edge does like nice, but if there is a glare, I'd rather put that cost difference into getting a larger storage S6 and forgo the edge.
EMY92
AG
quote:
S6edge users:

Have you noticed any glare due to the curved screen? I'm really indifferent on looks, the edge does like nice, but if there is a glare, I'd rather put that cost difference into getting a larger storage S6 and forgo the edge.
Nothing different from any other screen.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.