Galaxy S6? or something else?

8,700 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by EMY92
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm on AT&T and ready to upgrade my Galaxy S4. Now that the S6 has been out for a few weeks, what are the general impressions of the phone? And/or what other Android phones are recommended right now?

The main draw the Galaxy line had for me was the removable microSD card, but since that's no longer an option, I am open to other Android devices. I realize most other devices don't have removable storage either, but that was one thing keeping me loyal to the Galaxy.

Also, is there any evidence of an S6 Active version at some point. I would prefer this option, and would wait a few more months if necessary.

Thanks!
MW03
AG
Start here: http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2605767

I love my S6 Edge. Easily the best I've owned since the Evo, and probable the best I've every owned at 2 weeks in.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks, I'll look through that thread.

I was thinking about the Edge as well. What do you like so much about it?
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
Start here: http://texags.com/forums/30/topics/2605767

I love my S6 Edge. Easily the best I've owned since the Evo, and probable the best I've every owned at 2 weeks in.
What's the diff between S6 and S6 edge? Is it just size?
MW03
AG
Everything is the same, but the screen on the edge is curved. I think everyone thought it would be a meaningless feature, and maybe it ultimately will be; however, I use the edge contacts all the time. Essentially, you can just swipe from the edge to get to your favorites and quick call/text/email. The screen also kind of has an "infinity pool" feel when you watch videos that's really pleasant. Additionally, it's sold like 1:1 with the standard S6 (and I think it has sold out), so I think we'll get development out of the edge functions.

I also really like the aesthetics of the phone. Visually, it's one of the best looking devices I've owned. Sold construction and glass all the way around like the iPhone helps as well. It's just a really solid phone. And the camera is the jam.

Full disclosure: I'm pretty bad about having buyer's remorse. I usually do a ton of research before choosing a phone (or a TV or a gaming system , etc), and I can almost always talk myself into the device I didn't pick. I have zero regrets about this one, though. It's excellent.
AgEng06
AG
I found a few articles/rumors of the Galaxy S6 having some of the "lost" features (microSD and waterproofing), as well as a larger battery.
spieg12
AG
I went from an iPhone 5 to the S6 and I really like it. I have never had an android phone so it took a little while to learn the lollipop os. I feel like the edge version is just Samsung trying to pull more money out of people. The jump to the bigger screen was really nice.
AgDev01
AG
quote:
The main draw the Galaxy line had for me was the removable microSD card, but since that's no longer an option, I am open to other Android devices. I realize most other devices don't have removable storage either, but that was one thing keeping me loyal to the Galaxy.

Honestly at this point with the disappointing performance of the Qualcomm 810, the S6 or S6 Edge seems to really be the only option this round of phones until the 820 is released.

As far as the microSD slot with the increased storage options (and speed increases on internal storage) , to me it just isn't that big of a factor.
Madmarttigan
AG
Ok so I switched from the Iphone 5 to an S6 and I am very much enjoying it. The screen is nice, battery life seems just fine.

My 2 complaints though:

1. Whenever I use pandora on the iphone I was able to control it from my locked screen with switching songs and so forth. The S6 it lets me know the song is playing but will not let me switch songs from the locked screen, so I have to unlock the phone and switch it in the app. It is a little annoying, anyone know how to fix this? It lets me switch from the locked screen when playing my own music but not through pandora.

2. It would be nice if I had a list of the bare minimum apps needed to run your phone because I feel like there is a lot of excess junk installed on the phone and I would like to disable it. I'm not sure what is useful versus junk on some of it. It doesn't affect my phone performance, but would still like it gone.
bmks270
AG
personally I'll he be going from my galaxy s5 back to an iPhone when I can.

The android is not as responsive as the ios in my opinion. Maybe another non Samsung android device will be better but the android feels slow and clunky sometimes trying to navigate between as and menus but ios even my old iPhone 4s felt a lot smoother.
lawless89
Well i switched from the iphone 6 to the Galaxy s6 edge yesterday. My iphone fell out of my pocket and out of the car at the exact moment the door was shutting. Iphone got slammed in the door and bent in half causing obviously major damage. Screen still worked, but i was keeping it in a zip loc to keep the glass shards from going everywhere.

Didnt have insurance with verizon and im up in denver for vacation, so i decided to switch to sprint and let them buy my contract out.

Did a small amount of research before going in and so far i am impressed with the s6e. Will take a while to get used to the oporating system, but i like it. Battery life isnt super impressive so far though.
EMY92
AG
quote:
Did a small amount of research before going in and so far i am impressed with the s6e. Will take a while to get used to the oporating system, but i like it. Battery life isnt super impressive so far though.
I switched from an iPhone to a Galaxy S4 two years ago. It took about a week to fully adjust from IOS to Samsung's version of Android.

At first, I hated how some things that were standard on the iPhone had an "app for that" on Android. But then, the apps in Android integrate much better into the phone than they did on the iPhone. I got over that pretty quickly.

I'm upgrading to an S6 next week.
Vade281
AG
I got the S6 Edge and not looking back.
lawless89
How has yalls battery life been on the s6 edge?
java94
AG
I'm looking to upgrade from my Galaxy S4 also. I think I'm going to hold out for the S6 Active. Rumors are it will include the microSD and removable battery. If it doesn't happen, then probably just get the S5 Active.
mid90
AG
just upgraded from my Droid Razr Maxx that I'd had since May 2012 to the S6 Galaxy

Really like it so far. Of course, my experience is probably different from most of y'alls since going from a 3 year old phone that's on the fritz to a brand new one means that every feature of the S6 is light years better than my old phone.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread, but Verizon has a deal in place currently where you can trade in your old smart phone (as long as it's not cracked) and get $100 credit towards the S6. They also quadrupled my monthly data for free! (500 MB to 2GB) because I've been with them for so long.
OD
Obligatory don't forget about Windows Phone.
Rule Number 32
AG
I dont know how anyone could honestly like a window's phone at this point in time. I have been using one as a backup for a few months until my contract is up since my S4 bit the dust. The windows phone market is completely dead. Most apps are 2+ years old and barely function on my phone. Everything else about the phone is fine, but the complete lack of a decent market completely kills it in my opinion.
E.KingTrill
quote:
Everything is the same, but the screen on the edge is curved. I think everyone thought it would be a meaningless feature, and maybe it ultimately will be; however, I use the edge contacts all the time. Essentially, you can just swipe from the edge to get to your favorites and quick call/text/email. The screen also kind of has an "infinity pool" feel when you watch videos that's really pleasant. Additionally, it's sold like 1:1 with the standard S6 (and I think it has sold out), so I think we'll get development out of the edge functions.

I also really like the aesthetics of the phone. Visually, it's one of the best looking devices I've owned. Sold construction and glass all the way around like the iPhone helps as well. It's just a really solid phone. And the camera is the jam.

Full disclosure: I'm pretty bad about having buyer's remorse. I usually do a ton of research before choosing a phone (or a TV or a gaming system , etc), and I can almost always talk myself into the device I didn't pick. I have zero regrets about this one, though. It's excellent.
I'm about to go from the S4 to the S6 - debating between the edge and the regular.

Do you have a case on your edge? I don't have one on my S4, but the back is plastic so I never really cared. With this new design, I wonder if I'll need to.
MW03
AG
I do. I actually bought 3 cases when the phone came out because of the deals I was seeing on Slickdeals had them all for under $5 each.

I'm using a Versus leather wallet style case right now, and I'm liking it a lot. Wireless charging works through it as well.

I also have this Versus case, and this OBLIQ case. Of those, I feel like the Versus case fits better, but that's because it clips over the buttons. The OBLIQ case leaves the buttons exposed (which is nice for functionality) but makes it feel like it might slip off.
E.KingTrill
Wow that leather one looks great. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into these and others when I get my S6. I am leaning towards the edge... it looks so great.

I'm likely keeping my S4 as a 'backup' phone. The screen is very cracked and I doubt they'd give me anything for it.
boy09
AG
quote:
personally I'll he be going from my galaxy s5 back to an iPhone when I can.

The android is not as responsive as the ios in my opinion. Maybe another non Samsung android device will be better but the android feels slow and clunky sometimes trying to navigate between as and menus but ios even my old iPhone 4s felt a lot smoother.
This is pretty much exactly how I felt when I went from iPhone 4S to my GS4. I did like the phone for the most part, and I like the Android environment, but it just felt very clunky at times. I also had several hardware issues with my GS4; USB port quit working, quit recognizing SIM card from time to time, and finally, the screen just gave out altogether. That happened back in October and I went back to my 4S. Still using it actually... I think it may be time to upgrade.
coastalAg
AG
I just got the S6 today and my biggest takeaway is that the battery life sucks. Nice phone but already leaning towards taking it back.
Frozen Concoction
I'm going to get the LG G4. It looks like it hits all the points I'm looking for - great camera & a large, replaceable battery. I hope I can get my hands on one by the end of the month. I'm nursing my galaxy S3 along until then.
Madmarttigan
AG
quote:
I just got the S6 today and my biggest takeaway is that the battery life sucks. Nice phone but already leaning towards taking it back.
I don't feel this way at all, I pretty much charge mine on my wireless charging pad at night a couple hours and I'm good to go while being fairly active on it.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
Do you have the display brightness set to Solar Deathray?
EMY92
AG
I got the S6 today and I don't have any battery complaints, at least not yet. I did burn through a good bit of battery transferring everything from my old phone to the new one, but I can't complain about that. When I walked out of the store it had 50%, after transferring all of the apps, 900 songs, several hundred photos, and general piddling with the phone, I still had 40% left. I did hit the charger for a few minutes and it recharges quickly.

With that, I haven't had this thing near long enough to determine battery life.
Silky Johnston
I just got an S6 last night thru AT&T after having a Nexus 5 for the last year and a half. I am liking it so far and the camera is immensely better than the Nexus 5. I am having to get used to having all the ATT and samsung bloatware on the phone. I really liked that the 5 was pure Google.
devastor
AG
Samsung release the "release date" of the S6 Active already!!!
AgEng06
AG
quote:
Samsung release the "release date" of the S6 Active already!!!
Yep. After starting this thread, I'm pretty sure I'm going to the S6, but I will wait for the S6 Active if the time frame is reasonable.
terradactylexpress
Maybe the LG4?

I ended up getting an S5 for a dollar once my S4 finally died. Care less about speed than waterproofing + removable battery and SD card
E.KingTrill
quote:
I just got an S6 last night thru AT&T after having a Nexus 5 for the last year and a half. I am liking it so far and the camera is immensely better than the Nexus 5. I am having to get used to having all the ATT and samsung bloatware on the phone. I really liked that the 5 was pure Google.
Isn't a selling point on the S6 that you can actually uninstall all the Samsung / ATT bloatware you don't want? I thought I read that they finally made it simple to remove all those applications you never use that come stock on the phone.
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:
Isn't a selling point on the S6 that you can actually uninstall all the Samsung / ATT bloatware you don't want? I thought I read that they finally made it simple to remove all those applications you never use that come stock on the phone.
You can uninstall/disable but from what I've read it's like dealing with a partitioned hard drive and you only add your stuff to one partition, it doesn't matter what you delete/disable from the other partition because it's not available for your use.

After only a day, I'm very happy with the S6, but I'd be much happier if Samsung took Apple's approach to dealing with the carriers and not allow them to screw with the phones.
tate504
AG
I have had the s6 since April 10th. I came from all iphones Previously. After I disabled google Now, my battery is 4.5 to 5 hours of screen on time. I honestly love this phone and won't go back. It has not lagged on me once. It's super fast and the screen and camera are amazing.
coastalAg
AG
I swapped out my original phone for a new one today and battery life is much better. I think I just had a lemon.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.