Grand strategy games. Where to start?

31,464 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by bluefire579
JJxvi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Victoria 3 drops today. I'm definitely going to give it a shot, but I suspect this is one that wont be good until later patches, and possibly additional DLC.
aezmvp
JJxvi said:

Victoria 3 drops today. I'm definitely going to give it a shot, but I suspect this is one that wont be good until later patches, and possibly additional DLC.
I've got it added to my wishlist. Verrrry interested since you can play as the First Republic (ie Texas).
Aggie1205
AG
Playing as the Republic of Texas is definitely a draw. Will wait a bit before buying though.
JJxvi
AG
Playing as Texas is definitely starting from the bottom. The entire non-subsistence farming economy (ie the only "building" you have at the start) is one level of maize farms.
Aggie1205
AG
For someone not familiar with the Victoria series, what would be an equivalent start in say HOI4 or EU4 to Texas in Vic 3?
JJxvi
AG
Texas is like a one province minor in EU4 or a singly county Count in CK3. But also if like another decently sized nation or like a Duke started off with a claim on you and your other neighbor is a major power that eventually gets claims on you through events. As a beginner you probably wont make it past 3 decades or so before you get annexed by either Mexico or the US ending the game. I certainly havent.
JJxvi
AG
I would keep in mind that this game in particular should be considered a massive work in progress. These vanilla brand new games tend to be bland, and have game mechanics that are nowhere near the type of refinement you see after the major patches associated with DLC start being released. There are a large numbers of weird things happening that I'm not sure are working as intended, and a large number of the typical dumb bugs and errors also.

Today for example, I noticed that Florida has "State Trait" called Bone Valley which increases sulfur mine throughput....but they didn't add any of the actual sulfur resource to the state so you can never build a sulfur mine in Florida.
Kampfers
AG
Highly highly enjoying the new CK3 DLC "Tours and Tournaments."

Tons of potential for divergent RP.

Definitely a few bugs in this early stage that need to be ironed out but this has tremendously overhauled the game and made peacetime substantially more interesting.

The game is still way too easy in general and this dlc doesn't really help - the AI is never going to be as good at optimizing MAA and Accolades as the player. But certain changes (such as showing the player all of the titles the pope is willing to grant claims on) made it even easier or showed how much it needs to be rebalanced - I don't care who was in charge of England, the pope shouldn't grant my female two count ruler of Aachen a claim.

But damn if I don't love this game. Had to take a break the past few months because I couldn't enjoy it anymore after reading about what was coming in the developer diaries.
JJxvi
AG
I'm currently playing Stellaris with the new Galactic Paragons DLC. I think over time Stellaris feels like it has more replayability for me than most of the others even if it feels like it also kind bogs down in the late game more than some of the other ones do.
bluefire579
AG
Thought y'all might appreciate this

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.