Grand strategy games. Where to start?

31,461 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by bluefire579
Eliminatus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I was going through my Steam library and feeling ashamed at all the games I have and have never played, including several grand strategy games. I have never really played one before and I know I am in a world of a learning curve headache but I am going to commit myself to one. I love the idea of grand strategy but have yet invested any time to actually sit down and learn one. Looking for recs.

I have:
Hearts of Iron 2 and 3
Arsenal of Democracy
Europa Uniservalis 3 and 4
Victoria 2
Crusader Kings 2

Which ones of these do yall think would be the easiest to break into? Or any others for that matter? And I guess I have a little background of sorts in something similar in the Total War series but those are grand strategy super lites compared to this kind of stuff. My gaming background is mainly RTS and 4X such as Supreme Commander, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Civ 5.

The time period of the game doesn't matter to me as much.
TIA
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
I actually feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. I have Crusader Kings 2, Hearts of Iron 3, and Europa Universalis 3 as well and haven't yet committed to them or played them much at all. I love the concept of the Grand strategy game but my problem is I don't have the time to invest in them any more.
Kampfers
AG
CK2 is fun.

But Europa Universalis is the end all be all. I'll discuss it more later
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
I actually feel your pain. I'm in the same boat. I have Crusader Kings 2, Hearts of Iron 3, and Europa Universalis 3 as well and haven't yet committed to them or played them much at all. I love the concept of the Grand strategy game but my problem is I don't have the time to invest in them any more.
Come on! We can be each others spirit animals. I am not gonna lie. I have been just intimidated to play these. I need morale support.

And from what I can tell I have narrowed it down to Crusader Kings 2 and EU4.

EU4 seems to be the more streamlined and traditional, however, it seems like there is all kinds of crazy things that can occur in CK2 that just seems so awesome. Was reading where a player castrated his brother because he entered into an incestual relationship with his preteen son. A huge war broke out when the brothers supporters didnt like that. Stuff like that is just hilarious to me.

Not gonna have much time today to commit but tomorrow and friday I have a good few hours free time and wanna sink my teeth into one of them.
S.A.Aggie2006
AG
Hearts or Iron 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I am a big history nerd and the level of detail with assigning generals to command formations is really impressive.
Kampfers
AG
If a few people are interested, we can play Eu4 multiplayer. That would be interesting. Might even be able to use teamspeak or whatnot to support the new players.

Anyways, this is going to be a decently long post.

All of the titles you posted (afaik) are Paradox titles. They're easily my favorite publisher and they do great work if you love grand strategy and/or history. That being said, their games are all very different from one another.

Hearts of Iron 2 was a great game. It had a lot of complexity, but in reality you could ignore most of the deeper functions like tech and still enjoy the game. It was my introduction to grand strategy, and I played it quite a bit while I was in middle/high school. Hearts of Iron 3 was introduced, and there were a few problems. #1 they drastically increased the number of provinces, which made it more difficult to manage everything (not a problem, just a challenge). But #2 the graphics were vastly upgraded and I didn't have a computer that could handle it. So I stopped playing HoI, and haven't ever felt the urge to go back.

HoI focuses more on individual units and military strategy. It's a pure war sim if there ever was one. It's great, and it fills that role perfectly. But it's not what interests me anymore. Now I'm less inclined to deal with the individual movements of troops and more interested in grand diplomacy. The big picture.

In college, a friend introduced me to Eu3. He was forming Hindustan as an Indian minor and I was fascinated. I bought it, and never looked back. Now I'm on to Eu4. Most of the mechanics are the same, but it's definitely an improved experience and given that you have no nostalgia for Eu3, I'd recommend just starting with 4. There are just so many possibilities, so many things to do, so many ways things can play out. I've gone from Poland->Commonwealth->Megablob, i've gone Brandenburg->Prussia->Germany, I've done Muscovy->Russia, I've used Bahmanis to create a Shia Hindustan and created a westernized islamic power that dominated India, coastal China, and the spice islands (I made so much money on trade that game it's not even funny). Currently I started a game as Fezzan (tiny (and VERY poor) 3 province country jammed in between Tunis and the Mamaluks) and have recreated the pirate state of Tripoli. I'm attempting to dominate the Mediterranean but it's a struggle.

A few years ago I bought CK2 on a whim so I could play the Game of Thrones mod for it. I could never really figure out the mechanics so I gave up. Recently, I started playing again and it's very enjoyable. The struggle of starting as a Count and trying to work up to a King is lots of fun, and of course playing the genetic lottery and experimenting with eugenics and inbreeding is also a plus. What isn't a plus is the war system, which sucks. Terribly. If CK2 had a war system like Eu4, it would be much more enjoyable. I haven't played CK2 nearly as much as Eu3/4, but it is a fun game. Either Eu4 or CK2 would be my recommendations to people trying to break in to the genre.

Don't play Victoria. It's awful. Not really, but it's so complex that even after years and years of playing other Paradox grand strategy games, I still get bogged down and confused by its mechanics. I know people that enjoy it, but I also know people that enjoy tabulating spreadsheets for Eve. We have a word for that kind of effort where I come from - a job.

So yeah. I'd recommend starting with Eu4 or CK2. I can provide some references that will help you get started with either, but their wiki pages and the largest communities (paradoxplaza & reddit - /r/eu4 and /r/CrusaderKings) will be the best resources.

Best advice I can give for both is play the tutorial. It's not exactly "great", but it'll teach you the basic functions. You can pick up the advanced features as you go along. I've played Eu3/4 for hundreds of hours but still haven't mastered all aspects of the game.

Just know that occasionally, you will fail. Your armies will be defeated, and you will lose. That's half the fun. They actually have an "ironman" mode that will force-save every month so that you can't reload if you lose (this is the only way to earn achievements on steam). Don't get discouraged. Just learn from your mistakes. Be careful of who you pick your fights with, and especially how quickly you expand (infamy adds up quickly, and coalitions are no joke).

And if you're interested in Eu4 multiplayer, add me on steam - my profile name is the same as my tag here.

I can also provide some guidance with regards to what DLC you should get, although I'd save that until a major sale and/or when I knew I liked the base game. Both games have significant DLC collections, however, with some (like Eu4's "Art of War" and CK2's "the Old Gods") being critical, and others being much less so.
Eliminatus
AG
Well....with that response I think I have my choice. EU4 it is. Thanks! I will definitely give it a chance. I'm excited for it now. And also its the only one that has steam cloud. Which is a huge plus for me as I float around a lot and am not tied down to one machine.

What would you say would be the typical playtime for a playthrough? And I'll hit you up on steam. It would be neat to try it multiplayer. But first I think I'm just gonna lock myself in my office and play a few trial games and make horrible mistakes To get them out of the way.

I think I was also boot up arsenal of democracy at some point to try the "military sim" type of game. My best friend loves it and indeed it is the one that got me interested in the whole genre itself a few years ago.

Thanks again for the insight.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
What would you say would be the typical playtime for a playthrough? And I'll hit you up on steam. It would be neat to try it multiplayer. But first I think I'm just gonna lock myself in my office and play a few trial games and make horrible mistakes To get them out of the way.

Haha you really don't want to know. The timeline runs from 1450 until 1820 and it ticks one day at a time. I can pour hours into a game and only move a year. Other nights I might advance very quickly. It just depends on how much micromanagement is needed. Wars tend to slow the game down a lot out of necessity. It's hard to pin a number down on a single playthrough. Safe to say it's a lot. You won't always play through til 1820 though, but even getting to 1700 requires a fair bit of commitment.

Definitely a good idea to get your feet wet. I'd recommend playing Spain or France to learn the mechanics as my first play though. France will teach you more about vassals and land warfare, Spain will introduce you to colonization amongst other things.
Eliminatus
AG
quote:
quote:

Haha you really don't want to know. The timeline runs from 1450 until 1820 and it ticks one day at a time. I can pour hours into a game and only move a year. Other nights I might advance very quickly. It just depends on how much micromanagement is needed. Wars tend to slow the game down a lot out of necessity. It's hard to pin a number down on a single playthrough. Safe to say it's a lot. You won't always play through til 1820 though, but even getting to 1700 requires a fair bit of commitment.

Definitely a good idea to get your feet wet. I'd recommend playing Spain or France to learn the mechanics as my first play though. France will teach you more about vassals and land warfare, Spain will introduce you to colonization amongst other things.
Also got a quick question for you. Are the DLCs worth it? I have read online that several are worth getting. Especially the art of war one. Wanted to hear your thoughts on it. ART OF WAR supposedly adds so much new content and fixes that it makes it almost EU5. I know I hated Civ 5 until the gods and kings expansion which saved that game for me. That single expansion alone turned CIV 5 from a regret to a favored game.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Also got a quick question for you. Are the DLCs worth it? I have read online that several are worth getting. Especially the art of war one. Wanted to hear your thoughts on it. ART OF WAR supposedly adds so much new content and fixes that it makes it almost EU5. I know I hated Civ 5 until the gods and kings expansion which saved that game for me. That single expansion alone turned CIV 5 from a regret to a favored game.
Art of War adds a ton of new ways to go to war and should be the first DLC you buy. That being said, it's still a good game without it, you can try it vanilla to make sure you enjoy it before sinking more money into it. Plus the DLCs go on sale fairly frequently so you might wait for a good deal (El Dorado, the newest one, won't go on sale, but all the other ones will, often as a bundle).

El Dorado adds new colonization mechanics and really enhances the game if you want to play as an aztec/incan/native american tribe. I don't have this one yet, but it's considered to be the second best DLC in terms of content added.

Conquest of Paradise isn't really anything special, Res Publica only modifies republics (a very limited number of countries), and Wealth of Nations modifies trade a bit but nothing too crazy.

Realistically only AoW would be considered "essential" DLC. Most of the changes to game mechanics that have occurred outside of that were free updates along with each DLC collection, so everyone gets them. For example, with the AoW DLC, there was also a free update that created "centers of religion" (the first 3 countries to convert to protestant (and reformed) get a center of religion that spreads the faith). I'm actually really intrigued by the free revisions they have teased for the next DLC pack. There are going to be some huge changes to how the game is played.
Kyle98
AG
Great thread. I still play the hell out of Civ V, but would love to try out something new. Civ BE didn't do much for me. I might check out a couple of the games on this thread. I think I might have one of the EU games in my Steam library already.
bearamedic99
AG
How would you describe grand strategy games? How are they different than Civ, C&C, or Company of Heroes (I know the last two are real time simulators)?

Edit- Civ 3 was the last Civ game I played.
OD
quote:
How would you describe grand strategy games? How are they different than Civ, C&C, or Company of Heroes (I know the last two are real time simulators)?

Edit- Civ 3 was the last Civ game I played.

This.

I feel like an idiot, but I didn't know such games existed.
Eliminatus
AG
I am by no means an expert and not sure if there is an actual definition for it but by my understanding it is a strategy game, where you are in control of everything. I mean everything. The amount of control you have is staggering compared to Civ. A whole lot of minutia. It's the next step of strategy games. Hence grand strategy. Also you as the player are more worried with the large picture. combat isn't tactical based such as Total war or even Civ to an extent. Your wars will boil down to logistics mostly. I have X troops supplied with Y supplies supporting Z troops in this siege while I am fighting A troops, denying the enemy B supplies through various methods and preventing the reinforcement by C troops. And the scale of these games tend to be massive with hundreds or even thousands of different lands or provinces. Then there is politics which is HUGE in these games and not given short shrift like so many other games(diplomacy in Civ? That's a laugh)

I guess another way to put is how you want to play. With normal RTS's and 4x you play a style reminiscent of General Patton or Bradley while grand strategy allows you to play like Eisenhower or MacArthur. Micro vs. macro.

You can youtube these games. Lotsa reviews and howtos.
Kampfers
AG
^ that was a pretty good description. Instead of micromanaging units, it's the macro approach as he noted. You deal with diplomacy, the economy, culture, etc.

If you want to learn more, YouTube is a great suggestion. I've heard good things about Arumba's "let's play" series for Eu4.

DDRJake is another well known youtuber in the eu4 community, but I wouldn't recommend him to start because while he is verrrrrry good, he also uses a lot of exploits in order to do ridiculous stuff (like conquering the entire world with Ryuku).

Can't comment myself on them as I have never watched either (watching streamers is not really my cup of tea), but I've heard good things about both.
Kampfers
AG
Diplomatic map

France definitely saved my bacon this morning. I had started a new game as the Hansa and rapidly expanded to connect my holdings, adding 3 provinces in the span of about 7 years. That made most of the Holy Roman Empire pretty upset with me (infamy/badboy/aggressive expansion points are localized though so it didn't affect much other than these guys, luckily).

I had a god for my republic's leader (monarch points are the most valuable things in the game and this guy started as a 4/6/4 and so after 8 years time was a 6/6/6), was allied to Austria, and so I wasn't afraid of anything.

Then the coalition started building (countries with more than 30 aggressive expansion points towards you become "outraged" and will join coalitions against you). I knew Austria might not be enough to repel them (particularly if they became engaged in a different war), so I had set out to ally France. Finally allied them and less than a month later, Austria rivaled France and therefore saw my alliance with them as treachery. They dissolved our alliance and once again, I only had 1 great power as an ally.

A couple of weeks later, Bavaria (the head of the coalition) declared war on me, seeking to dismantle my newly forged north germanic empire. At the start of the war, we were outnumbered 50k troops to 30k, and the bigger problem was that France was tied up with a war in which they were pummeling Provence. My goal was simply to hold out until that was done. As you can see from the map, I was up against pretty much the entire western half of the HRE. Austria and Bohemia had both failed to join, which could have been my death knell. I ran my army halfway around Europe hiding from the enemy while they sieged almost all of my provinces.

Finally, France took care of it's own business, then slowly accrued all 35k of its troops and proceeded to crush my enemies one at a time. France is normally such a pain in the ass (they aren't called the Big Blue Blob for nothing), but when you can get them to do your dirty work for you, it is incredibly convenient. Plus it drained their manpower and money a bit to hopefully stave off their conquest of Burgundy (who currently serves as a suitable barrier between my interests and France's).

My next order of business is springing Sweden free from Denmark's clutches, so I can then exploit Denmark's weakened state to continue my expansion. Can't expand inside of the HRE for 20 years or so unless I want more trouble.
TheCougarHunter
AG
EU4
OD
quote:
Diplomatic map

France definitely saved my bacon this morning. I had started a new game as the Hansa and rapidly expanded to connect my holdings, adding 3 provinces in the span of about 7 years. That made most of the Holy Roman Empire pretty upset with me (infamy/badboy/aggressive expansion points are localized though so it didn't affect much other than these guys, luckily).

I had a god for my republic's leader (monarch points are the most valuable things in the game and this guy started as a 4/6/4 and so after 8 years time was a 6/6/6), was allied to Austria, and so I wasn't afraid of anything.

Then the coalition started building (countries with more than 30 aggressive expansion points towards you become "outraged" and will join coalitions against you). I knew Austria might not be enough to repel them (particularly if they became engaged in a different war), so I had set out to ally France. Finally allied them and less than a month later, Austria rivaled France and therefore saw my alliance with them as treachery. They dissolved our alliance and once again, I only had 1 great power as an ally.

A couple of weeks later, Bavaria (the head of the coalition) declared war on me, seeking to dismantle my newly forged north germanic empire. At the start of the war, we were outnumbered 50k troops to 30k, and the bigger problem was that France was tied up with a war in which they were pummeling Provence. My goal was simply to hold out until that was done. As you can see from the map, I was up against pretty much the entire western half of the HRE. Austria and Bohemia had both failed to join, which could have been my death knell. I ran my army halfway around Europe hiding from the enemy while they sieged almost all of my provinces.

Finally, France took care of it's own business, then slowly accrued all 35k of its troops and proceeded to crush my enemies one at a time. France is normally such a pain in the ass (they aren't called the Big Blue Blob for nothing), but when you can get them to do your dirty work for you, it is incredibly convenient. Plus it drained their manpower and money a bit to hopefully stave off their conquest of Burgundy (who currently serves as a suitable barrier between my interests and France's).

My next order of business is springing Sweden free from Denmark's clutches, so I can then exploit Denmark's weakened state to continue my expansion. Can't expand inside of the HRE for 20 years or so unless I want more trouble.

Good LORD. Don't think my ADD self could handle all that.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Good LORD. Don't think my ADD self could handle all that.
You'd be surprised. It was overwhelming at first but you get used to it. Now this game has ruined most other strategy games for me because they lack the sheer complexity and intricacy of it. I play tons of Paradox games but I've all but abandoned Civ. It just isn't the same anymore.
NavyAg22
Company of Heroes. Best RTS ever made aside from Starcraft
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Company of Heroes. Best RTS ever made aside from Starcraft
RTS. Not Grand Strategy. Biiiiig difference. Solid game though.
MaroonStain
AG
WC3: RoC = best game ever to me....
Eliminatus
AG
I have failed you Kampfers. I STILL havent really sat down and played it yet. I will admit I am entirely intimidated by it still. I made it through the tutorials and thought I had some understanding but when I got into my first game and started off I had no idea what to do or how to do it. I had completely braindumped everything. Made it about 10 mins. in. That was two days ago. I have since played all sorts of stuff around it but it;s always in my mind.
Have faith in me...I will do it.
Eliminatus
AG
So I sat down for an hour this morning to give it another go. Holy God the learning curve is insane. The tutorials are less than helpful in actual gameplay. There is just so much stuff. I had to quit after that hour. I had no more idea what I was doing at one hour than I did at the beginning. All the little nuances of everything is too much for me for now. And I thought the UI was cool at first but it is still not newbie friendly at all. I wonder if there are any mods for cleaning it up. I was playing as portugal to start and learn. the first month I just stared stupidly at the screen not even knowing what to do. Then I decided to work on my trade. Again, elementary kid trying to do grad school stuff.

I love the idea of this game but I am starting to wonder if I have the aptitude and more importantly, the patience for it. So f'ing lost...
Kampfers
AG
It takes time. Also, Portugal isn't probably the best to start as - they aren't terrible but a number of countries have event chains that can force you to walk through some of the mechanics.

Have you looked at the following resource? I might keep it up on one device (phone/tablet/laptop) while I was gaming until I became more comfortable. You can also open them up in the steam overlay if that's better for you. That way you'd constantly be able to refer back to them when you get stuck. Remember - if you're having an issue, someone else has likely already had it. I've played the game for a long time and still have to google stuff occasionally.

Wiki - Beginner's guide

The reality though is that you're going to learn far more by clicking and doing than by reading or watching videos. Failure is ok. You can always restart, or reload a save if not in ironman (which I wouldn't recommend until you're more comfortable).

Some basic tips:
Keep stability at 0 or 1. Anything higher is a waste of admin points, anything lower and you'll run into issues.

Use royal marriages to spread your dynasty. It results in a hefty relations boost and can make securing alliances easier. If you get lucky (the other country's king dies without an heir), you might end up with a personal union, meaning they will follow your orders. Don't be wasteful with marriages though. You only get a few relations spots, and a marriage will fill one of those spots. In addition, going to war with a country that you have a RM with causes a stability drop.

Don't go to war without a casus belli. The easiest one to acquire is by using a diplomat to "fabricate a claim" in an enemy province.

Don't exceed your forcelimits, and if your income is low, then you might not even want to build to them.

In war, focus on the big stacks of enemies first. If you can defeat them, they will be forced to retreat. Follow them. If you can attack them again before they recover morale, they will be stack-wiped (completely removed from the game). Otherwise, they can recover their morale, reinforce their armies, and then defeat you. Just watch your attrition as you pursue the army - each province has a supply limit that can ravage your army if you exceed it.

Of course, all of these tips can be disregarded by advanced players. But they are good rules of thumb.
Kyle98
AG
So, I have EU3 in my Steam library already. I'm going to try it out before I buy EU4, just to get a feel for if I'll like the series or not.
Kampfers
AG
Things are getting a little freaky in my Hansa game

Denmark migrated to the baltics. I had to ditch France as an ally because they were dragging me into an absurd number of wars. To counter this, I allied Austria again. Which is great, because they are stronk. But it's also terrible, because they are frankly too strong and need to be taken down a peg. The big problem was that the Burgundian inheritance fired so they got all the Dutch territories. Historically accurate? Yes. But a ***** to try and contain.

I'm currently allied to Sweden, Muscovy, and Austria. The main goal of my next 25 years is to break apart the Polish-Lithuanian union and watch the two disintegrate. This will remove Austria's major ally and also allow me to expand more along the black sea.

Closer shot of my holdings
BustUpAChiffarobe
AG
quote:
Great thread. I still play the hell out of Civ V, but would love to try out something new. Civ BE didn't do much for me. I might check out a couple of the games on this thread. I think I might have one of the EU games in my Steam library already.

Huge CIV 5 addict as well, but looking for something more. May have to check this out
Kampfers
AG
Might have accidentally started WW1

So my aggressive expansion hasn't gone unnoticed and just about everyone hates me. I'm on ok terms with France, and allied to Austria and Muscovy, but other than that...

I was pretty confident my alliances would keep the coalitions at bay, however, until Muscovy was fighting the Timurids, Golden Horde, Kazan, and Uzbek all at the same time, while Austria took on the Ottomans. While my allies were occupied, my enemies struck. Everyone in red was in the coalition against me, and declared on me at once. I couldn't call either ally in.

I quickly consolidated naval control by crushing the combined Swedish/Polish fleets (80+ trade ships and 20 heavy warships are nothing to scoff at). I then pulled all of my men out of Germany and into Scandinavia, while recruiting mercenaries as fast as I could. The coalition started with about 200k soldiers (didn't think to get a screen of the army counts, at one point it was 230k to 30k). I quickly upped my armies to 50k through mercenaries and began dispatching Sweden.

Bavaria and her allies occupied about 3/4 of my territory, and wanted more. I let about 60k men cross in to Fyn (the first little island in Denmark) and trapped the idiots there with my navy. That would help to level the playing field a bit, even if it meant conceding another siege.

At this point my war exhaustion was skyrocketing and my income was plummeting (due to the occupied territory). I had gone from making about 50 gold a month to losing more than 100 per month. My manpower was depleted and I needed help. I sent Muscovy a gift of 700 gold allowing them to pay off all their debts they accrued to the East. Austria wrapped up their war against the Ottomans. I called them both in at once.

That instantly changed the tide. Overall, troop levels were about equal (200k a side), but since 60k of the enemy were stranded (and slowly dying due to attrition), we were able to swing the war in my favor. The warscore flipped instantly from a -16 to a +11. I was able to manage the ridiculous amounts of War Exhaustion my occupied provinces were giving me thanks to my god-ruler (4/6/4, so able to produce lots of diplo points for manual WE reduction). Being "Reformed" (calvinist) meant that I could apply a 10% bonus to my troops morale thanks to fervor, so that helped.

By the end of the war, both sides had depleted their armies down to about 100k each, but I had won. All told, I probably spent around 5000 gold winning the war. This map reflects Europe after the war. And that's how I turned a punitive war into the single-largest landgrab in my game yet.

As a bonus, now Austria and Poland really hate each other, and Poland is much more manageable. I'm teetering on the verge of abandoning Austria in favor of France though. It has to happen at some point if I intend to found Germany. Easiest way to accomplish this will be by attacking Brandenburg, but that would unfortunately also draw Poland back in and I'm not sure that wouldn't be biting off more than I can chew.

Waiting allows me to rebuild my monetary stores as well as my manpower, but it allows Austria to do the same. They are injured now - I can't wait long to strike.
Aggie1205
AG
How do you have 8 merchants that quick?
Kampfers
AG
quote:
How do you have 8 merchants that quick?
2 Merchants is the base
+1 Merchant Republic government type
+1 Hanseatic National Ideas (Strong League Obligations)
+2 Trade Ideas
+1 Plutocratic Ideas

Not sure where the last one comes from, I'll see if I can't figure it out when I get home. I can also post a few screenshots detailing my trade income as well.

I have so many trade power/efficiency/income bonuses it's absurd.
Kampfers
AG
Soooooo this happened
Eliminatus
AG
Wow I dont even know what Im looking at but it looks awesome
Aggie1205
AG
Only had the game a couple of weeks, but enjoyed it thus far. Hadn't bought a computer or video game in several years so its been good to have something interesting like this game.

There is a bigger learning curve for sure with this game compared to others I've played. You almost need to count on starting a few games and expecting to make mistakes before learning it all. Watching video's on youtube helped some, but doesn't get you everything you need. Lots of different measurements and scores that you have to keep track of and balance.

Castile was a decent option to start with to learn. I've also done short-lived games with a few other countries just to get the feel of different areas of the map. Currently been playing with Yeman.
JJxvi
AG
The way I've tended to learn is by reading country specific strategy guides from the wiki and trying to replicate them, which usually hits on many features and concepts that you can learn from.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.