Google Project Fi

5,923 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by theterk
pnut02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone see the breakdown of the Tycho apk over at Android Police from the Nexus 6 firmware? It's tagged a "rumor", but looks interesting - It may finally give me enough reason to jump ship off my Sprint SERO plan when (and if) Google's carrier project (Project Fi / Tycho / Nova) is rolled out.
Duncan Idaho
Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Fiber is interesting because they are going to own the infrastructure. They won't with wireless
pnut02
AG
Several sites are citing the Wall Street Journal that Project Fi may be launched today.

https://fi.google.com/ appears to be relevant, as it is responding with a 404 (rather than no response at all).
MW03
AG
I'm PRAYING that google ultimately opts to buy Sprint outright (stock at $4 as of yesterday) and absorb their customer base and infrastructure.
pnut02
AG
I'd be perfectly fine with Google absorbing Sprint.

I found the signup page at https://fi.google.com/signup

quote:
Keep an eye on your inbox. We're sending a small number of Project Fi invites each
week, but rest assured that you're on our list. You'll get your
invitation in the coming weeks, and we hope to make that happen sooner
rather than later. Learn more about our invite process.
We're looking forward to having you join Project Fi!
edit: just received a confirmation email too

And now the about page is up at https://fi.google.com/about/
zurcaled11
AG
Very cool, I don't have a Nexus 6 though... I'm all for Google disrupting markets that lack actual competition.
reb,
AG
Signed up for invite bc wtf not
reb,
AG
quote:
I'm PRAYING that google ultimately opts to buy Sprint outright (stock at $4 as of yesterday) and absorb their customer base and infrastructure.

Just don't see them going for sprint as long as CDMA is still kicking
tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:

Just don't see them going for sprint as long as CDMA is still kicking

Hasn't Sprint been building out their LTE network though?
pnut02
AG
For me, it looks like pricing may be worth the switch. Currently I'm on Sprint's SERO plan, paying about $60/month, but only using about .5GB/month data. Switching and buying a Nexus would put me about the same level (20 + 5 + taxes, plus ~$28 for monthly phone payment) and save me money when the phone is paid off.

quote:
How much will a Nexus 6 cost if I get a new one from Project Fi?

If you need a new Nexus 6 to use with Project Fi, you can buy one direct from us when you sign up. You can select the "Midnight Blue" Nexus 6 in two storage sizes32GB ($649) and 64GB ($699), plus applicable taxes, with two ways to pay: all at once or over 24 months.

If you choose to pay for your Nexus 6 over 24 months, it is $27.04/month for the 32GB option and $29.12/month for the 64GB option. There's no interest or fees. However, a credit check is required to be eligible for this pricing.

reb,
AG
Yea but I'd wager years away from dumping their 3g network, given the historical pace of sprints network vision
pnut02
AG
Sprint's current focus seems to be the Spark LTE rollout
reb,
AG
Which is a part of network vision
For
The
Past
Eleventy
Years
pnut02
AG
quote:
Which is a part of network vision
For
The
Past
Eleventy
Years
Exactly. The only reason I haven't jumped shipped is because of the SERO plan price combined with the availability of newer phones.
zurcaled11
AG
My question about the service: since its an overlay of T-Mobile and Sprint, does it automatically know which is stronger and provide that service? For example in my apartment T-Mobile works but Sprint doesn't even though it is within both networks. Would it only give us T-Mobile service or could we be stuck in a dead-zone?
pnut02
AG
If you have wifi at your place, I believe it will use that first. But regarding cell networks, from the FAQ:
quote:
What determines when Project Fi moves me between cellular networks?

Whenever 4G LTE is available, Project Fi will move you to whichever cellular network has the fastest 4G LTE at your location. When 4G LTE isn't available, we'll put you on the fastest network type in your area (3G or 2G).
zurcaled11
AG
Must have overlooked that earlier, thanks for the info. Also my wifi in the apartment sucks. Despite paying for 40MB/s and having the xboxone plugged in via ethernet.
aggiemike02
AG
THE WEBSITE IS UP!
pnut02
AG
quote:
THE WEBSITE IS UP!
Don't make me throw mashed potatoes on your car.
aggiemike02
AG
hahahahaha. it is. i just signed up for an invite.

Edit: i see now you live tweeted the progress of the page becoming live in your post above!
pnut02
AG
quote:
hahahahaha. it is. i just signed up for an invite.

Edit: i see now you live tweeted the progress of the page becoming live in your post above!
Contrary to what the website shows, there's no coverage in your area. You're screwed. Best of luck next time. heh
zurcaled11
AG
Also, I understand that Fi is able to switch on/off wifi to networks seamlessly during a call, are they able to switch between networks seamlessly too?
pnut02
AG
quote:
Also, I understand that Fi is able to switch on/off wifi to networks seamlessly during a call, are they able to switch between networks seamlessly too?
I'm assuming so - https://fi.google.com/about/experience/
Token
AG
choosing t mobile and sprint, two garbage phone companies, was not a smart idea
DAM
AG
Man tmo has been great to me, specially abroad. Sprint was never that bad, it had slow internet, but for 98% of the stuff I did it was enough the 10 years I was with them. Mainly left to tmo because of price.

dam
MW03
AG
Everyone takes a dump on Sprint, and I understand why, but my coverage is 200% better than it was 2-3 years ago. I never drop calls, I'm always on LTE, and I have unlimited data which is nice. We've thought about switching several times in the past, but based on the network coverage I see now, I can't think of a good reason to do so.
archangelus2
AG
I get 3.5 GB per phone on a 3 phone family plan with T-Mobile and it is only $120/month. So this Google plan would cost me a heck of a lot more for the same thing.
Skitch05
AG
This looks awesome, but unfortunately my $35/month T-Mobile plan is still cheaper since I use more than 2GB of data a month.
pnut02
AG
What T-mobile plans are you guys on?
Skitch05
AG
I'm not sure if mine is still available for new customers, but I have a monthly plan with no contract. $35 per month for unlimited data, unlimited texts, and 100 minutes. I just use data for all my calls through Google Hangouts, so I never use all the minutes anyway.

The one downside was you had to bring your own phone, so you don't get any phone rebates.
pnut02
AG
I saw that T-Mobile has a prepaid plan similar to that for $30, but because I have a Sprint phone, it limits my options.

quote:
$30 per month Unlimited web and text with 100 minutes talk

100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5GB at up to 4G speeds
Includes unlimited international texting from the U.S. to virtually anywhere included in your plan at no extra charge.
Skitch05
AG
Actually, that is my plan apparently. I had $35 in my head because of taxes, but it is the $30 plan.
aggolfer
AG
Sprint is owned by Japanese company Softbank. I don't see them selling to google.
99CentBeer
Based on the prices, honestly Verizon is nearly just as good of a deal, especially when you factor in their solid network. I'm really pretty disappointed in Google's offering, I was hoping for something to entice me into switching.

For Google, I would be paying $40 for two lines, then $50 for 5GB, the average of what I use right now. That's $90. Add in $10 - $15 for taxes, and we're at around $103. Now I have to buy two new Nexus phones. I either buy them outright for nearly $1,300, or 24 month payment plan at $27/m. So add-in the cost of two phones, and I'm now at $157/m.

Now my plan currently with Verizon is $188/m grand total including taxes for two lines, and 10GB of data. That's only a $30/m difference. And the Verizon plan includes Edge, which means paying my current monthly rate I can get a new phone every year and a half (once I pay off 75% of the phone), as opposed to every 2 years if I went with Google. Obviously with EITHER service, I could pay off the phone quicker and get a new one, difference is I only have to pay up to 75% of the phone with Verizon, whereas I'd have to pay off 100% of the phone with Google.

Seeing as how T-Mobile and Sprint don't have the best coverage in my area (Houston), I really see zero reason to switch over a $30/m savings, which pisses me off. I was hoping for an offering from Google that would make me ditch Verizon. Maybe their plans will evolve over time, we'll see.
flintdragon
AG
got my invite today. Don't have a N6 though. Was kind of hoping that by the time I got the invite, it would be usable on my N5. Oh well!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.