Verizon note 2s suddenly draining batteries faster..

900 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Absolute
Absolute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Both my wife and I have this phone. In general the battery life has been great. In the last month, both of us have noticed them burning through life. Mine has gone down 5 percent in 5 minutes on Texags.

Mine has a newer replacement battery while hers is original. I don't see any updates or anything. Anyone else noticed anything going on with Verizon or Android or have any ideas?
capital markets
AG
I have a Verizon note 4 and have also noticed a faster drain recently
txaggie_2011
AG
I don't have a Note or Verizon but you should be able to see what apps or system processes are using the most battery under Settings > More > Battery. That may be a start.
Icecream_Ag
S
did you get the update to lolipop (android 5.0) about the time the massive drain started?

I noticed drain like that after my S5 updated, and my freaking contacts keeps failing for some reason.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
I noticed drain like that after my S5 updated, and my freaking contacts keeps failing for some reason.

I hate to go all tinfoil hat, but sometimes I wonder if they do this on purpose. My S1 went funky when the S2 came out, and when the S3 came out it was toast. My S3's GPS went screwball when the S4 came out, and the battery started draining like crazy. Temperature is maxing out, even just browsing the web.
Do a master reset. If that doesn't work, handset exchange with your carrier if you have extended warranty
Absolute
AG
I checked the running apps under battery usage before posting - nothing weird. Screen is the highest and that setting has not changed over the 2 years.

Still running 4.4.2 version. No recent updates I can identify. Also seems to not be charging as well in the car. Noticed this morning using Google maps gps that it still lost a percent while plugged in on a 45 drive. Seems to charge fine at home, so maybe that is a charger issue.

My usage is heavy since I use it all day with a home inspection data input app and camera. But is it also very consistent and up until recently it has been great in all ways. I too hate to be a conspiracy type, but it is a little suspicious that my wife's contract was up yesterday and mine is next month and suddenly there may be a reason to "upgrade." Really have no reason to change otherwise since the phone still work great for us. Have been considering trying AT&T since she can get a discount through her work. Maybe Verizon has been eavesdropping......
UmustBKidding
The big eater of battery on late generation phones on VZW is the deployment of VoLTE. They are trying to move to a completely IP over LTE with core using IMS and Diameter. Friend is the inside guy for qualification of both handsets and Network equipment at VZW. Voice calls over CDMA takes about half the power as the same call over IP/LTE. Where VoLTE is deployed you can do Data & voice simultaneously and there are other operational efficiencies but battery life is not one of them right now. If all your calls and data were LTE it would use slightly less power (very very small) but since VoLTE is not widely deployed you end up with both the legacy CDMA (1xrtt) radio running at the same time as the LTE modem.
With VoLTE deployed and your account actually optioned you see a HD voice/video option in your settings. While this provide very clear calls its also seems to cause more call drops. I don't know any way to force your phone to not use VoLTE.
Metro PCS was first carrier to deploy VoLTE and this was a widely known feature.

EastSideAg2002
I have a Note 2 on AT&T. I had the same problem start happening about a year ago. Alot of times it is because something causes the phone not to go into sleep mode. The wakelock will have been running for like 12 hrs. I find myself resetting my phone a lot to fix it.
A friend of mine who works with Samsung told me the biggest factor in battery consumption for these Samsung phones is signal. If you're signal is usually one or two bars, your battery is using extra juice to get that 3rd or 4th bar of signal. What's your signal like? As far as the tin foil hat theory, that sounds ridiculous.
All volte capable devices have the option to remove it.
Absolute
AG
quote:
A friend of mine who works with Samsung told me the biggest factor in battery consumption for these Samsung phones is signal. If you're signal is usually one or two bars, your battery is using extra juice to get that 3rd or 4th bar of signal. What's your signal like? As far as the tin foil hat theory, that sounds ridiculous.
Was kidding about the conspiracy stuff.

My signal varies, I suppose, since I move around a lot. But the general area I move around in is pretty consistent.

I actually don't spend that much time talking, so I don't think it is that. Like my example of this morning, I did not use the phone at all, except the google map gps.

Don 't think it is the screen sleep. I am constantly waking mine up as I inspect, so I know it goes off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.