AT&T Going Full-on Big Brother

2,819 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Deputy Travis Junior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This is just horrifying:

Ars Link

quote:
If you have AT&T's gigabit Internet service and wonder why it seems so affordable, here's the reasonAT&T is boosting profits by rerouting all your Web browsing to an in-house traffic scanning platform, analyzing your Internet habits, then using the results to deliver personalized ads to the websites you visit, e-mail to your inbox, and junk mail to your front door.

In a few select areas including Austin, Texas, and Kansas City, Missouriplaces where AT&T competes against the $70-per-month GoogleFiberMa Bell offers its own $70-per-month "GigaPower" fiber-to-the-home Internet access. But signing up for the deal also opts customers in to AT&T's "Internet Preferences" program, which gives the company permission to examine each customer's Web traffic in exchange for a price that matches Google's.

quote:
This is the one time when the post office analogy works pretty well for the Internet, when you're transmitting data back and forth it has some header information that describes where it's going. It might say roughly what the contents are. You could think of it as media mail vs. parcel post vs. first class or something These are the sorts of things that show up in the headers that ISPs usually look at when they're figuring out where to send your traffic.

But deep packet inspection is as if the post office would open up your mail and look at the letters or look at, 'what does this package contain. Look, he ordered a new Xbox from Amazon or something like that, maybe he wants to buy an Xbox game now, so let's show him ads for that.' It really is about looking at the inside of the content of your communications.

That is unbelievably invasive and then they're dodgy when reporters ask them about it and refuse to state what their analytical process actually is.
Deputy Travis Junior
This really summarizes my thoughts:
quote:
"If people go to Facebook or Google or Pinterest or whatever and they search for consumer stuff, there is a common expectation that the business model is funded by ads. I think everybody recognizes that," White said. "But when I'm at home and I go to WebMD there is a strong expectation that my ISP is the transport layer and not trying to monetize that. I think it's very different. I think it's a very dangerous place to go when consumer websites that are ad-driven become the model our basic Internet connectivity is based on."
Sentinel
AG
Invasive? Maybe. Horrifying? Not really.
akaggie05
AG
The use of SSL/TLS for virtually all web traffic should have happened yesterday IMO. Hopefully moves like this will cause people to wake up and pay attention to whether their personal information or info they'd prefer be kept private is being transmitted in plaintext or not.
Picard
AG
What exactly do you think Google has been doing all along? DUH!

Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Invasive? Maybe. Horrifying? Not really.
It's equivalent exact same as the post office opening up all of your mail and reading through it so that they can figure which coupons to send you or some crap like that (and if you opt out, they jack your prices).

Every site you visit, every term you enter, every product you view is all being tracked. I guess that's not horrifying if you grew up in a communist country, but for somebody that's a believer in freedom and privacy, it's pretty repugnant.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:

They track the way you use their products which is quite a it different than tracking everything you do online.
hph6203
AG
How much of what you do online isn't done through a google product?

This is also pretty old news, and they offer another tier for people who don't want their internet monitored. They're basically subsidizing their gigabit service for those that don't care, or are too ignorant to care. Personally I'd just use a VPN and call it a deal.
Sentinel
AG
jagouar1
AG
quote:
quote:
They track the way you use their products which is quite a it different than tracking everything you do online.
It is literally the exact same model. Google offers you free/discounted price in exchange for you allowing them to read your data. AT&T is a discounted rate for allowing them to read your data.

Google is already on the road to do the similar things with their TV service. They are targeting ads to TV subscribers and they collect additional information from fiber users. Its right in their TOS.

""Technical information collected from the use of Google Fiber Internet for network management, security or maintenance may be associated with the Google Account you use for Fiber, but such information associated with the Google Account you use for Fiber will not be used by other Google properties without your consent," Google says. "Other information from the use of Google Fiber Internet (such as URLs of websites visited or content of communications) will not be associated with the Google Account you use for Fiber, except with your consent or to meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.""

If anything AT&T is actually being better because they are giving you the option to pay more and not get tracked.... google does not give you that same option.

And I don't have a problem with either of these policies.... but if you are going to call AT&T out for this you also have to hold google to the same standard.
BBQ4Me
AG
As many others have mentioned, this is not much different from Google.

My biggest concern is to what extent can AT&T keep this information secure. If they got hacked, that could be pretty bad.
Herne the Hunter
quote:
to deliver personalized ads to the websites you visit, e-mail to your inbox, and junk mail to your front door.
Nothing AdBlock Plus, a spam filter, and a trash can can't handle.
ScottH_01
AG
quote:
quote:

As others have said, if you have Google Fiber, it is the exact same, if not less invasive than Google.

Exactly what do you think "track the way you use their products" means? Especially when you're considering their products include email, web browser, mobile OS and now as a ISP. And that is just the broad stroke stuff, then you've got Google+,Blogger....

What AT&T is doing is nothing in comparison.
LOYAL AG
AG
If you're an advertiser the scary thought is that I've begun to subconsciously dislike advertisers I see online. Why? Because they're everywhere and it's constant. I personally am tired of being bombarded by advertising. I'm dumping Google from most of my life and the constant advertising is part of it. My gmail account is nearly useless at this point as 90% of the mail I get is advertising from Amazon, New Egg, Tiger, LinkedIn, etc. I spend time daily/weekly just deleted advertising emails to get to the things I want and need. It's why I use Office 365 for my businesses and why I'm killing off free email from my life.
BusterAg
AG
quote:

It is the exact same model. Google makes a dossier of you based on your use of:

1) Gmail
2) Google Search
3) Google Maps
4) Chrome - all browser usage (everywhere you go on the internet)
5) Google Fiber (in the exact same way that AT&T does)
6) Android
6a) GPS data
6b) Phone call logs
6c) App downloads
6d) App usage
7) Gchat
8) Google Drive
9) Google Docs
10) Google Play / Chromecast
10a)Songs
10b)Movies / TV
11) Adwords clicks

What is surprising is that Google hasn't sued AT&T yet for patent infringement.
agracer
AG
quote:
If you're an advertiser the scary thought is that I've begun to subconsciously dislike advertisers I see online. Why? Because they're everywhere and it's constant. I personally am tired of being bombarded by advertising. I'm dumping Google from most of my life and the constant advertising is part of it. My gmail account is nearly useless at this point as 90% of the mail I get is advertising from Amazon, New Egg, Tiger, LinkedIn, etc. I spend time daily/weekly just deleted advertising emails to get to the things I want and need. It's why I use Office 365 for my businesses and why I'm killing off free email from my life.
Other than SPAM in my SPAM folder (not ads, but SPAM), I don't get any ads in my gmail inbox.
Sentinel
AG
Same for me. If you receive any spam, it's probably a result of signing up for some service using your Gmail.
Velvet Jones
AG
Google is evil.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
T
o
R
FightinTexag
AG
VPN doesn't work like that.
Sentinel
AG
If you use a VPN, your ISP will only see encrypted traffic. How does that not solve the issue?
Bregxit
AG
Why don't you just turn that stuff off in your accounts for those sites? I get zero advertising email in my Gmail unless it is something I have asked for.
Vernada
AG
Maybe T will go the way of GOOG?

I can only hope....
LOYAL AG
AG
Now y'all are making me feel like I've missed the boat here! I'll check those accounts better. Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.