Need programming advice

777 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by biobioprof
chilidogfood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking into starting development of a training tool for new employees roughly inspired by Trivia Crack.

I want to know what you guys would recommend as a base programming language that would be simple for myself (with limited programming background) or some of my younger employees to use for a trivia 'game' with the following criteria:

-Can display text and pictures as a prompt with text or pictures as selectable multiple choice answers
-Can access a database to randomly pull questions from several categories
-Can store player logins into a database to catalog their progress/stats

This tool will be designed to allow employees to use an anonymous login to practice questions over standards, engineering design practice, and other categories as well as see where they stand in relation to the rest of the department. It wont be used to track individuals skill levels for negative reinforcement purposes.

I was thinking a web based application linked to a sql database would be the best, but I havent done much programming in the better part of a decade.

Please help nerdery.

TIA
DAM
AG
Look at the Laravel framework, there are a lot of resources out there which can get you started. Also, based on your very short description something like this could be done by someone else for a few hundred bucks. Either way, I would go with a web app, if you want to get super fancy create an API for it and then you can put a phone app in front of it or a web app and it all talks to the same backend.

dam
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I'd go Ruby on Rails.

You could honestly knock something like this out in a few hours. A few days if you're learning, probably. It will abstract all of the details of managing the SQL and for the things you're doing, almost any challenge you run into will have tons of answers online.

I tend to prefer Ruby/Rails to PHP, but you could do this in something like Laravel as well as mentioned above.
biobioprof
I'd do in PHP, but only because I'd do it as a wordpress plugin so I'd have the ability to extend the site using other Wordpress capabilities.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.