Used iMac?

1,206 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieJason
TP Ag '87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any advice on buying from a 3rd party?

Thanks.
TP Ag '87
AG
Found this article which seems reasonable.

Buy a used Mac

One I'm looking at s still under warranty which would seem to mitigate most worries.
khkman22
AG
Which one are you looking at and what is your price range?
TP Ag '87
AG
iMAC 21.5

LATE 2013

2.7 ghz intel core i5
8gb ram
1tb hdd
yosemite x 10.10 o.s (latest version)
OFFICE FOR MAC 2011 FULL VERSION INCLUDED

Warranty until 12/16.

Guy wants $900.
TP Ag '87
AG
Good deal?
sellis2003
AG
You can check out the 21.5" refurbished directly from Apple here for a price comparison, keep in mind the refurbs will have a warranty but they won't have Office 2011.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/21

Thanks,

-S
khkman22
AG
I don't follow the market for used Macs, but I think that is a good price, especially because it includes Office. I could be wrong, but it almost seems too low because of the warranty and Office. Where did you find it? eBay? Craigslist? Any way to be sure it's not stolen?

I know it's a late 2013 model, but it is still the most current model (not including the budget model released last year). A new one on B&H is $1,189 with 8 months shorter warranty and no Office. That just seems too low for me to feel comfortable if I were purchasing.
TP Ag '87
AG
Found the guy on craigslist here in Houston. Thanks for the feedback. I am aware of the refurbished store/prices. Any advice when I check it out other than those articles' advice?
khkman22
AG
Just a note, B&H has no tax so most times the price there is the same price or lower as a refurbished. I know you may not be looking at new, but before you possibly decide to buy a refurbished thinking it is a good middle ground, it is likely not a better deal than new from B&H.

Not sure what wlse to look for on the Mac, just make sure Office is actually installed and he's no just giving you a disk with a product key that will be rejected because it's already been registered.

And just the general warning of meeting in public so he can't just rob you. But if meeting in public, not sure how you would power it on to check things.
TP Ag '87
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks. 22.
WES2006AG
AG
quote:
iMAC 21.5

LATE 2013

2.7 ghz intel core i5
8gb ram
1tb hdd
yosemite x 10.10 o.s (latest version)
OFFICE FOR MAC 2011 FULL VERSION INCLUDED

Warranty until 12/16.

Guy wants $900.

I own this exact machine with a fusion drive. Great comnputer.
TP Ag '87
AG
UPDATE: File this under the "if it sounds too good to be true,..." as well as me calling myself a dumba$$ for not looking at the "too good" file...

Sure enough, guy wants to meet "at his office." Luckily, I took co-worker with me just in case. His "office" happens to be a van with electronics stuff all over it with the mac running inside the van. I simply said, no thanks" and walked off.

Apple.com or B&H looking pretty good right now.

Geez, what a dumba$$.
khkman22
AG
If I was the co-worker I would be saying WTF did you get me into when I saw the van.
TP Ag '87
AG
Yeah, he said pretty much that. We were both laughing AT me.
AggieJason
AG
Yeah, $900 - $1000 is a good price for that. Would have def. jumped if it wasn't suspicious.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.