What will the next generation of smartphones look like?

3,584 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jopatura
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ran across this article via WIRED this morning:

Evolution Of DisplayLG Display Completes Development of Transparent Display Technology
I was struck by this line in particular:

quote:
The other promising field is flexible displays. It is a paper-like display that produces the same picture quality even if users bend it. The core of the technology is to display objects as accurately as possible and maximize portability by making it as light as possible.

The stages of evolution in flexible display technology have been defined as curved, bended, foldable, and rollable. LG's G Flex 2 and Samsung's curved edge displays, which can bend up and down and side to side, are between the first and second stages.

An official from Samsung Display said, "The industry believes that the commercialization of foldable smartphones will be possible in 2016."

We really haven't had a "revolution" in design since the iPhone. Sure phones have gotten larger, thinner, more powerful, etc. But look at the change from the flip phone perfected in the Razr to the iPhone? The design of all the current smartphones is generally the same. Is foldable, flexible tech the thing that's going to give us the next "generation" of cell phones?

culdeus
AG
Multi screen is probably the future.

Fold it open on the vertical not horizontal axis with notification banner on the outside making it really 3 screens.

You could see an implementation where right side is message and left side is widgets and apps.

It's also not entirely required for the multi screen approach to have a hinge. You could see how you could separate it to look like a iphone today and keep together for more screen area.

gravy97
AG
I think we saw the future on Parks and Rec with the Gryzzl phones

chipotle

/snort
bmks270
AG
The commercialization of foldable phones.... ??? Didn't that already happen with flip phones like the razr... they folded in half.
jopatura
AG
Thought I saw where Apple had filed a patent on a completely waterproof phone. That will probably be the next frontier of phones before multiple screens or holograms.

Personally, I want a good edgeless phone where the whole top is screen.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.