Anyone Use Credit Monitoring?

1,315 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by LOYAL AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've had the free Experian Protect My ID service as part of the fallout of the whole Target data loss, but that is coming up on it's expire/renew date. I'm thinking if there is anyone out there with any intelligence whatsoever, they're likely sitting on all of that data until all of the "free" coverages people picked up have expired, so I'm trying to decide if I want to pick up another place to cover me & my wife for the next year.

I keep a good handle on the accounts we have since I update our budget daily, but my bigger concern is somebody trying to open accounts in my name.

Curious if anyone has any of the monitoring systems and if they like them find them easy to use, helpful, etc. They all appear to run between $20-25/month (so $50 or so for 2 people) so while they're not that expensive, they're not so trivial that I want to just do it without getting some thoughts from folks that have gone down this road.
The Collective
AG
Were you insured by Anthem/BCBS in the last decade? If so, you might be in luck.
sts7049
AG
I pay for one that Wells Fargo offers. I figure it's cheap insurance to have, plus I get to keep tabs on my credit score.
aggie1944
I just keep a running 90 fraud alert with the credit agencies. This way no credit can be opened in my name without the one issuing credit contacting me first to verify. Plus it's free.
JoeOlson
AG
I really just use credit karma to keep up with things. Worth checking out
biobioprof
A&M just suggested we do it after they put all of our SSNs online as part of a teaching report.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
Were you insured by Anthem/BCBS in the last decade? If so, you might be in luck.

Yes and we started the free 2 years of monitoring.
AtlAg05
AG
quote:
A&M just suggested we do it after they put all of our SSNs online as part of a teaching report.

Umm, can you give some more details? They put all the profs SSNs?
StrikeWater00
AG
quote:
quote:

Umm, can you give some more details? They put all the profs SSNs?
As a follow-up to yesterday's notification regarding an inadvertent disclosure of your Social Security Number, Texas A&M University has entered into an agreement with LifeLock to provide credit monitoring services for one year at no cost to you. You will be receiving a subsequent message with an enrollment code and details on how to sign up for this service as soon as the company provides us with this information within the next 24 hours.

In order to ensure you have adequate information regarding this disclosure, we wanted to make you aware of additional details. The Semester Teaching Analysis Report (STAR) is derived from a report we are required to submit to the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) every semester and has been in place for well over a decade. The THECB requires us to use the SSN when we submit to them. Before the STAR is published on the DARS website, SSNs are replaced with UINs. That did not occur this time after a failure to follow the procedures in place.

The report was published on the DARS website as a PDF document on February 13 and removed on March 8, immediately after we received information that the SSN information was in the report. We have determined by reviewing the logs that the report was accessed 33 times during that time period with just under half of those from outside the university network. We continue to track down the IP addresses that accessed the report as we recognize the potential harm caused. However, at this time, we have no reason to suspect any fraudulent activity has occurred.

We apologize for the mistake made and we are taking significant steps to prevent a recurrence of this issue. We continue to work with the administration and the Faculty Senate to address this situation.
Sincerely,

Joseph P. Pettibon, II
Associate Vice President for Academic Services
Texas A&M University
cc: Mr. Scott Honea
Dr. Merna Jacobsen

Has anyone used LifeLock?
LOYAL AG
AG
quote:
Has anyone used LifeLock?

I've been on it for years. It's the reasonably only proactive service out there. The rest help you watch your credit but they don't help you manage it. About three years ago my dad was a victim despite being on USAA Credit Monitoring. Someone got his DL and opened checking accounts in his name in different parts of the state. Then they started bouncing checks. He found out when the check clearing services started demanding payment. I told him to call Lifelock. They put a stop to another checking account that had just been opened and told him how to clean up the existing mess. We buy it for us and our two kids. By the way kids make great victims here because nobody is worried about checking the credit of their 8 year old. For $25/year LL makes sure that nobody does anything in their name except for you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.