Pillars of Eternity?

3,711 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by tremble
PvL-Vorbeck07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody been looking into this new RPG that's about to release in a few days? Obsidian's making it, looks to be the spiritual successor to games like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, etc. I'm a fan of ol' school RPGs and think that I'll be checking this one out. From everything I've read and seen, it's looking to be an excellent RPG, the type of game that hasn't been successfully replicated in a long time IMO.

http://eternity.obsidian.net/
3rd and 2
AG
I gave enough money for the collector's edition on Kickstarter and downloaded and played the beta for about 30 minutes. I wasn't too impressed. It may have been because it was in beta, but the game was slow and the wow factor was not there. Also, I don't see how they can fix the game so quickly since I tried the beta only 3 or 4 months ago.

I guess we'll see, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. I just hope we get a completed product (which I don't think we will be getting).
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
I gave enough money for the collector's edition on Kickstarter and downloaded and played the beta for about 30 minutes. I wasn't too impressed. It may have been because it was in beta, but the game was slow and the wow factor was not there. Also, I don't see how they can fix the game so quickly since I tried the beta only 3 or 4 months ago.

I guess we'll see, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. I just hope we get a completed product (which I don't think we will be getting).
Interesting and thanks for sharing. That's disappointing to hear. No offense but i do hope you are wrong and they can get a polished and completed product out the first go around. I loved those other RPGs mentioned and to my knowledge, a good RPG like that hasn't been made in a good while. We'll see!
3rd and 2
AG
I hope I'm wrong too! I think I gave 'em $200. I want to recieve a great product.
howitzercannon
AG
Well, you were in Beta, and not all beta's equal the same. See Blizzard Beta vs some other Beta.

It might not have the wow factor implemented yet. Its like seeing a car with just a frame, and engine and tires on it, a temporary driver seat and a steering wheel. Has all the components to be functional, but not necessarily complete enough to wow you yet.
flintdragon
AG
Anyone have new info about this game? It's released today right? I'm worried about what you guys are saying about the beta so I'm holding off until I hear positive news.
3rd and 2
AG
quote:
Anyone have new info about this game? It's released today right? I'm worried about what you guys are saying about the beta so I'm holding off until I hear positive news.
They may not have enough money to pay the game review sites to give reviews to their products.
redeyeone
AG
I think pc gamer has a review. Very positive one.
YouBet
AG
If you liked Fallout 1&2 you should check out Wasteland 2. Came out late last year and I've been playing it for a month or so. Will definitely scratch your old school RPG itch.
tremble
AG
I backed way back when. Game is crushing it on the reviews: 90+ at metacritic, lowest score I've seen is 8.8/10.

My body is ready.

3rd and 2
AG
Holy carp, I have a huge woody after reading that review on PC Gamer.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
Ya, I pre-ordered it last night but haven't had time to play it yet due to work. Will start when I get home. I have been reading all the reviews that have been out today and it's getting excellent reviews from numerous sources. This looks to be a good one gents....
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/pillars-of-eternity-impressions-after-20-hours

http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-review/

http://kotaku.com/if-you-like-rpgs-you-must-play-pillars-of-eternity-1693809270

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/26/pillars-of-eternity-review/

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/pillars-of-eternity/critic-reviews

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/13681-Pillars-of-Eternity-Review

Eliminatus
AG
VERY excited by this. I adored divinity original sin and of course the mighty baldurs gate 2. I got wasteland 2 yesterday though...gotta decide where to put the next 100 hours of my life at next...
NoHo Hank
AG
So 1.5 hours in and this is basically balders gate 3. Feels a ton like it. That's a really good thing.
Eliminatus
AG
So I'm about 4 hours in......and don't think I will CoNtinue. This game is missing something. And i think it's something in the combat. It just isn't intuitive and feels rather clunky to me. The story so far is superb but the game play to me is not up to par. I find myself thinking "this Aint divinity" when I'm playing.

Gonna take a hiatus and see come back to it later with a fresh mind
reb,
AG
quote:
I backed way back when. Game is crushing it on the reviews: 90+ at metacritic, lowest score I've seen is 8.8/10.

My body is ready.

this gif is just... it's just everything.
Hagen95
AG
I'm intrigued by this game, but not sure I need to spring into another game.
WGann3
AG
quote:
So I'm about 4 hours in......and don't think I will CoNtinue. This game is missing something. And i think it's something in the combat. It just isn't intuitive and feels rather clunky to me. The story so far is superb but the game play to me is not up to par. I find myself thinking "this Aint divinity" when I'm playing.

Gonna take a hiatus and see come back to it later with a fresh mind

Haven't had a chance to check Pillars of Eternity out yet, but I can confirm Eliminatus' opinion about the newest Divinity game. It's a masterpiece that will tug at your nostalgia strings pretty hard if you loved games like Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, etc...

Curious to see more opinions about Pillars.
Eliminatus
AG
Got another 4 hours and I will stick with my above post. It's fun, great story, and beatiful visually. Game play is not the greatest however. Just my opinion but I don't like the combat system. Can't quite put my finger on it tHough. I will stick with my earlier statement of clunky and not very intuitive. Just my opinion though. I still prefer divinity original sin. Both are great but if I am going to sink time somewhere divinity is it for now. Maybe I'll come back and finish it later. But for now it's getting shelved.
3rd and 2
AG
I'm about 2.5 hours in, and think the game is great! The controls harken back to the old Infinity Engine days. Really great atmosphere and music.
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
I got to play a good amount over the weekend (8 hrs or so) and I have to say I think the game is fantastic. I'm really, really enjoying it.

The story is intriguing and interesting. I find myself actually slowing down and reading/listening to NPC dialogue to understand what's going on in the world.

The atmosphere, artwork, graphics, character detail, etc. are beautifully done. They have a gritty realism about them that I rarely find in games today. For me it harkens back to what Diablo 1 made me feel like when it comes to atmosphere, character detail, artwork, graphics, etc. It's all immersive and sucks you in. IMO, when it came out, I was hoping Diablo 3 would have the same level of the aforementioned attributes but it ended up looking and feeling more World of Warcraft which was very disappointing to me.

The Combat is very well done as well. It is tactically satisfying and more often than not definitely a challenge. I find myself really having to study the environment i'm in, what my party's strengths/weaknesses are, and know the intel on the enemy. If you just rush in, you're going to be at best mauled pretty badly, or flat out creamed entirely and everyone killed.

I like how you don't get experience for killing monsters but by completing quests, discovering new locations, doing things like picking locks, etc. It's better than " go kill 20 moglocks for X amount of XP" type deal.

The music is great and really well done. It supplements the atmosphere very well.

Try as I might, and I am as objectively as possible, I'm really struggling to come up with negative feedback or criticism on this game. It's wonderful and really a great addition to the old Infinity Engine games of the late 90s. I think it'll end up being one of the top games in 2015.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I'd never heard of this game until seeing this thread, and now I'm definitely thinking about picking it up later this year when the price goes down.

Just curious, I loved virtually soloing Baldur's gate with a back stabbing rogue, scouting the map and ambushing lone enemies, using hit and run tactics on small groups or jumping out of the shadows to blow up an enemy wizard or two at just the right time in unavoidable group fights. Is such a style of play practical in Pillars? Or does every single fight require you bring the full group along?
PvL-Vorbeck07
AG
quote:
I'd never heard of this game until seeing this thread, and now I'm definitely thinking about picking it up later this year when the price goes down.

Just curious, I loved virtually soloing Baldur's gate with a back stabbing rogue, scouting the map and ambushing lone enemies, using hit and run tactics on small groups or jumping out of the shadows to blow up an enemy wizard or two at just the right time in unavoidable group fights. Is such a style of play practical in Pillars? Or does every single fight require you bring the full group along?

I've heard some people claim that you can SOLO it but it's exceedingly difficult. Personally, i'm not that good to solo what is supposed to be a party-based game. In short, I'm sure it's possible but I wouldn't advise it. Then again, maybe you're up for the challenge and that play style is right up your alley. I'd say it is soloable if you know it well enough and have the patience to do so
tremble
AG
I've only played sporadically and just got to Act II. Having a lot of fun with this so far.

Love the writing. Hopefully their next project has a bigger budget.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.