Problems Booting Up

2,067 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by orrintaylor
orrintaylor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After a recent thunderstorm my old desktop, running XP Pro would not boot up. It gave me the option to boot in safe mode, safe mode with networking, command line, last known good configuration, or start Windows normally. All of these options lead to the same result, it would get to the Windows splash screen then reboot and give me the same options over and over again.

Figuring the machine was likely toast, and if not, it was obviously old, I found a good deal on a refurbished Windows 7 machine. I get it all set up and go to turn it on for the first time and now it is giving me the same problem.

From googling, all I've come up with is that I should try booting from the Windows disc, only problem is the refurbished machine didn't come with a disc. I am dumbfounded. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. Also any insight into what might be causing the problem would be nice to know.

Thanks
Ganondorf
AG
Here's the download page for windows xp sp3.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25129

Here's the windows 7 one:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery
agdoc2001
AG
Unplug everything but your mouse and monitor and try again.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sentinel
AG
Are you using a surge protector? Was there a power surge during the thunderstorm?
SpicewoodAg
AG
The new Windows 7 computer does the same thing as your old system? The odds of two vastly different computers having the same problem are very very small.

I think the problem is likely to be something common to both computers:

- keyboard (a bad keyboard, stuck key, etc. could prevent startup)
- monitor (funny interaction with video card could confuse the video card)
- mouse
- some other device (like a USB drive)

orrintaylor
Thanks for the replies. A surge protector is being used, I tried the new machine with and without it and got the same results. It happening on both machines is what has me completely confused.

The keyboard had to be changed because the XP machine was using a ps/2 and the Windows 7 machine needed a usb keyboard. That leaves the monitor, mouse and network cable as the only things connected. Both machines are using onboard video so no video cards. With the monitor still working, could it still be the cause of the problem?

Thanks again.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Although the video is onboard - that just means the video circuitry is part of the motherboard instead of on a plug in card.

I don't think the surge has anything to do with the problem.

I suggest booting with only the minimum connected. Nothing in the optical drive of course. No external drives. With the new computer, attempt to go into setup first. Make sure the hard drive and memory looks good.
Ganondorf
AG
You need a priest as it's possible your home is possessed by a hell demon that hates technology.

Thoughts and prayers, hope you don't go all Shining on us.
orrintaylor
Ha ha, I'm starting to think you might be right Ganondorf.

I tried removing the network cable and changed the mouse, leaving just the monitor as the only common piece between the two machines and I still got the same result.

It lets me into the set up by pressing DEL and as far as I can tell everything looks to be in working order.

Could something with the monitor cause it to still come on and function but mess up the boot process?

Thanks for your help with this Spicewood and for the laugh Ganondorf.
spieg12
AG
Change monitors. We had a monitor once that was causing our computer to blue screen at startup. We thought the computer was bad so we bought a new one and same problem happened on a brand new computer. Finally plugged in a different monitor and both computers were fine. The monitor is an HP w2207h. For some reason it works fine with my laptop but really screwed up those two computers.
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:

Could something with the monitor cause it to still come on and function but mess up the boot process?

Yes.
orrintaylor
Okay, tried hooking up my dad's monitor and got the same results. Would it failing to boot up the very first time I tried have messed anything up to where it would need fixing before it ever works? I am totally at a loss here now.
spieg12
AG
If the RAM somehow got fried that could be causing you some issues too. Most people don't have spare sticks of RAM just laying around though. If your computer has more than one stick, you could try removing one at a time and try to boot. We have had a computer that wouldn't boot and finally figured out it was a bad stick of RAM.
orrintaylor
Thanks Spieg, I'm waiting on a response from the place we got the machine. Would rather not open the box until I hear from them, just as a precaution. Thanks for all the help so far.
orrintaylor
Got a response from the company, they didn't know what would cause it to happen either. They are going to mail a replacement hard drive on Monday. So I'll check that the RAM sticks are seated properly when I put it in and see what happens.
spieg12
AG
Make sure you check one thing at a time. I would definitely check the RAM sticks for a defective one. I doubt the hard drive would be the problem but it could be.
orrintaylor
I installed the second hard drive the company sent me. Also made sure the RAM was seated. I asked before but am still not sure, would it failing to boot the very first time I power the machine on cause any lasting problem that would need to be fixed before it would ever work?

Thanks again for all the replies so far.
Sentinel
AG
It's unlikely but your surge protector could have failed and damaged the power supply on both machines.
orrintaylor
Thanks for the suggestion Sentinel, any idea how I could check to see if the power supplies have been damaged?
Sentinel
AG
I'd buy a power supply tester. They're relatively cheap and can come in handy.
orrintaylor
Picked up a tester and the power supply passed. Will have to call the company the machine was bought from though as the Product Key they gave me came up as "invalid" when I tried to download the Windows 7 ISO from Ganondorf's first reply.

I was able to create a System Repair disc from the laptop I am currently using. I tried booting from it and it started positively, it came up Loading Windows files then I got a Blue Screen of Death with the following message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The driver is mismanaging system PTES.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000DA (0x0000000000000504, 0xFFFFF6FC40016C00, 0x0000000000000010, 0x0000000000002D80)

Any ideas about causes, solutions, or what I should ask the people about when I talk to them?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.