UVerse wifi booster question

3,908 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by twenty two ags
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My Uverse intergalactic whatever Gateway just doesn't seem to have the range that I need for my house and backyard. Anyone use any of those range boosters with any success ? AT&T offers a couple on their site so I gues that means they will work with their glorious interdimensional Residential Gateway
AtlAg05
AG
Never used the boosters but I use the power line adapters upstairs. Works extremely well and I get a "wired" connection.
The Original AG 76
AG
I do use the power line adapters and it helps but I still need boosted wifi for a lot of areas of my house and especially outside. I use an Apple Airport hub to stream my iTunes to my patio system and it drops the wifi annoyingly .
I've read online thaT the Uverse multidimensional Res Gateway is old technogy and is not very well regarded.
LostInLA07
AG
Shocking
chupacabra tacos
AG
Anything new on this? I just had Uverse "upgrade our service" to the latest greatest internet speed. They had to move the gateway to a different part of the house because he couldn't get the wire through the same opening.

What we have now is a new location in the front of the house and poor speed in the main part where we are at most of the time to stream.

Is it as simple as a wifi booster?
Gomer95
AG
We recently moved into an apartment while our house is being built and the Wi-Fi reception from our UVerse was just so-so when we previously had great service at our old house. We ordered a Multi-Cell Booster I think it's called? and the reception now is great! It's a good choice if you're having drop off issues or going from strong signal to weak signal.
ScottH_01
AG
Depends on your gateway/router for starters. I'm not sure about the "newer" gateways they're delivering for the higher speeds, but the previous generation of routers were not on the newer Wireless-N meaning you've got a lower available range and top speed (54mb tops). My experience is that getting an extender/booster does not appreciably help, certainly in the manner you wish to see.

Plus, while I haven't tried every router, but my experience with an extender as it does not extend the existing WiFi network as grab it and rebroadcast it as a NEW WiFi network (by default named with the extending wifi network's name ended with _ext). Again, that may just be that I've got a cheaper (though nicely rated on Amazon (Netgear WN3000RP).

I've got a second, somewhat better router setup in my livingroom using the PoE adapters, but those aren't perfect either as I do not see my full available bandwidth through it AND they do not handle multiple adapters in use at one time all that well.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and what I'm planning on doing is getting a good Wireless-N router and connecting it directly to the UVerse gateway and using it as the primary wireless router (turning off the Gateway's wireless). That should give better overall results (not having to bounce between networks, better signal at range) than a system of wireless extenders and routers using the PoE adapters.
billtheag89
AG
The key to the range extender is placement and location relevant to the main wireless router. The RE must have a relatively low signal loss. Your software setup should be able to supply that info. Newer RE's have spot finder capabilities and use dual band (2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz) to improve throughput.

EX: http://www.linksys.com/en-us/press/releases/2015-1-05_linksys_highlights_new_mu-mimo_router_and_range_extender

Presumably, it isn't necessary to use the same brand extender as the gateway. Mine is set to use the same SSID as the main which also serves the DHCP server so no IP address conflicts and only setup required on client devices in the house. Look for auto follow me capabilities if the primary wireless router can adjust frequencies

Found this article a helpful place to start.

http://www.tested.com/tech/web/454692-best-wi-fi-extender-if-youre-out-wired-options/

Good hunting.
TMoney2007
AG
I bought my own router and run it. Even the new gateways don't have the latest and greatest wireless standard and their lack of exterior antennae make their signal strength suspect.
twenty two ags
get them to send you the 802.11ac router
LeftyHound
AG
Just upgraded to gigapower and using the ac channel for wifi. Total overkill of speed, and I love every bit of it.
FightinTexag
AG
Help me out. I just got gigapower and can't get over 200 down on wifi.
chupacabra tacos
AG
quote:
I've been thinking about it for a while, and what I'm planning on doing is getting a good Wireless-N router and connecting it directly to the UVerse gateway and using it as the primary wireless router (turning off the Gateway's wireless). That should give better overall results (not having to bounce between networks, better signal at range) than a system of wireless extenders and routers using the PoE adapters.

I think I'm going to give this try. If this doesn't solve the problem,will using this new router as a hard wired access point to a different part of the house work pretty good? Is it as simple as running a cable from the gateway to the new router?
Also, what are the general thoughts on placing the router in the attic setting on the gypboard.
aggiez03
AG
There are a few ways to accomplish whole house wifi.

Extra router hardwired at other end of house
I have an ATT dsl wifi gateway that was installed when Uverse internet went into my neighborhood, which left me with my original Wifi router (Asus RT-N16 running tomato) unused. I already had my house wired for ethernet whenever I built it, so I installed my Asus router at the other end of the house opposite of my ATT router by hardwiring to a LAN port on the Asus. On tomato, I turned off the WAN connection and set a static address on the router LAN side. I then setup wifi with the same Wifi SSID and password as my ATT router. Now I can walk through the house and the PCs, kindles, phones will jump from one access point to the other seamlessly.

Easy way - Wireless extender
My inlaws got this: TP-LINK TL-WA850RE $30.00 on Amazon. Just plug it into the wall, somewhere in range of the original router and after setup, it will receive and boost/retransmit the wireless signal. They had one bar of wifi on his laptop on one end of his house. He installed this unit in the center of the house, and now he has full signal throughout the house.

quote:
Also, what are the general thoughts on placing the router in the attic setting on the gypboard.
If you are in the southern US, I think a router in the attic will die fairly quickly as most consumer electronics are not rated to run at 120+ that an attic will get in the summer. Stick it high in a closet or a bookshelf.
chupacabra tacos
AG
Ah, good point on the attic temperature. It gets really hot up there. Thanks.
ScottH_01
AG
quote:
quote:

I think I'm going to give this try. If this doesn't solve the problem,will using this new router as a hard wired access point to a different part of the house work pretty good? Is it as simple as running a cable from the gateway to the new router?

My old gateway just died Friday, old 802.11b/g, they installed a new Moto NVG589 which is running 802.11n. It is almost like I didn't have wifi at all before. I've got full connection on the complete opposite side of the house, where before I could barely connect much less do anything worthwhile.

Get them to modernize your gateway before doing anything else.
twenty two ags
n is still a generation behind, but definitely better than b/g
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.