Uverse Troubleshooting

1,846 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 87IE
jay040
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TLDR: Uverse tv is extremely pixelated during primetime viewing hours - uverse doesn't know how to fix it but is trying different things.

I have Uverse for tv and internet. Starting about 3 weeks ago, 1-2 nights per week, typically during primetime (but once on a Saturday morning), the tv service becomes extremely pixelated and the audio cuts in and out. Restarting the receiver and the gateway do nothing. The internet performs fine during all of this. Eventually it starts working again a few hours later.

Uverse sent a technician out who said that the coax cable that ran from the box where the ATT signal comes in to the house to the gateway/router "couldn't handle all the data that was being sent", and ran a Cat5 cable through the house to replace it. Fine, I don't get your explanation, but we'll see if it works (there was no pixelation during the time that he was there).

The pixelation happened again 2 days later, so now they're shipping me a new gateway/router and a new receiver.

Has anyone else run in to this issue before? Given that it normally happens during primetime viewing, I thought maybe it was an ATT signal issue, but the fact that our internet still worked perfect during these times throws me off. I get to keep the new equipment for 21 days before returning the old equipment (and losing all the DVR'd material) to see if it works. I was just wondering if anyone else ahd experienced this issue and found a solution that I can suggest to the Uverse technician.
Goose
AG
We have this problem on occasion and for whatever reason it seems to coincide with our DVR being relatively full. Not sure how or why, but we'll delete stuff off the DVR and the pixelating thing goes away.
hurricanejake02
AG
quote:
We have this problem on occasion and for whatever reason it seems to coincide with our DVR being relatively full. Not sure how or why, but we'll delete stuff off the DVR and the pixelating thing goes away.
My parents had a similar issue with a full DVR a few years ago.

They don't let the DVR get more than 60% full now, and are starting to have issues again. Haven't figured out the issue this time.
jay040
So after having the Uverse guy run new Cat5 cables through the house (gateway still connects via coax though?), them replacing the gateway and both receivers with new devices, we still get pixelation at times during prime time viewing. Not every day, but a couple of times a week.

I'm about to cancel my service, but in the most recent phone call, they said that they can see that there are 3 AM radio stations near my house that are probably causing the interference. They said they could send someone out to see if a putting a special shield over something to try and fix it.

Googleing "uverse radio interference" brings up all sorts of forums about where HAM radio can disrupts the signal. Maybe someone in my neighborhood is taking up ham operating?

Anyway, I was surprised at this determination and thought I'd share.
TexasAggiesWin
S
I had this issue about a year or so ago and had to go through 3 routers and 2 DVR units before it quit doing exactly what you describe. I have a really good plan that is locked in until 2097 (or something ridiculous like that) and did not want to switch, but I was on the verge of telling them that I was fed up with the lack of ability to watch anything during prime time hours on the weekdays and during football on Saturdays/Sunday.
Bregxit
AG
Unless you have a ham operating high power right next to your UVerse lines that theory is pretty far fetched. My guess is something is up with the connection at the VRAD. Insects, bad/loose connection, etc or an equipment problem.

I'm a ham and have never had interference on my UVerse while operating.
The Original AG 76
AG
One thing I have learned about Uverse trouble shooting is that NO MATTER what the issue the tech they send out will ALWAYS say that " man..the previous guy did this all wrong, let me { fill in the blank} the system and it will work this time..." EVERY TIME. My favorite one was when a guy came out, started in with that line of BULLSH&T and I pulled out the last service report...you guys guessed it ...The last tech visit was by HIM !

These guys are all contractors with varied experience levels are are paid by the call. They try and get IN and OUT ASAP so they can collect another fixed payment from ATT. BUT ..I also found that Direct and DISH are no different.
Bregxit
AG
To my knowledge the premise techs are not contractors. At least they used to not be. When I first got UVerse the techs were extremely knowledgeable...much to the detriment of today's techs. I got to educate the one who did the service move to my new house about how UVerse and the network equipment worked. The brainiac left about $1200 worth of her equipment at my house after that call and never came back for it despite repeated calls from me.
87IE
AG
quote:
gateway still connects via coax though
I'd be willing to bet that's your issue.

I had a similar problem and went through routers like there was no tomorrow. Finally a tech came out and replaced the coax with Cat5/6 and then gave me two wireless boxes to replace the two that were on coax.

I originally paid to have the Cat5 cable run and he didn't charge me for the 2 wireless boxes but a phone call got the charge for running the cable reversed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.