70-80 ft of HDMI cable?

4,371 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Scriffer
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Where's the best place to purchase a length of HDMI about 70-80 feet? I'm going to mount a TV outside and need to run a cable from an upstairs bedroom/attic. TIA
pnut02
AG
Monoprice
Get something like this
jlb2957
AG
You don't run hdmi that far. You use Balans and run cat 5e
SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
You don't run hdmi that far. You use Balans and run cat 5e
Yup.

That's how pros do it.
Bird Poo
AG
Thanks guys! That seems like an affordable solution.

So I get the adapters from monoprice. Any recommendations on the cat5e cables? There are a lot to choose from!
EMY92
AG
quote:

So I get the adapters from monoprice. Any recommendations on the cat5e cables? There are a lot to choose from!
Use the link pnut02 posted. That is an adapter and cat5e cable.
coppag92
AG
What are "balans", may I ask?
AgsWin2011
AG
quote:
Monoprice
Get something like this
How exactly does this work? We just moved into a house and our TV is on the mantle over the fireplace. I would like to get a DVR with radio frequency and put our directv box in the closet so it doesn't have to sit on the mantle. I would need to run HDMI from the closet to the mantle. This looks like it only has HDMI on one end. What do you connect to the TV if the directv box has the HDMI port plugged into it?
Bird Poo
AG
quote:
quote:

Use the link pnut02 posted. That is an adapter and cat5e cable.

EMY, I'm talking about the cables, not the adapters.

There are cat5e cables, cat6, 300mhtz, 200mhtz. Help me out nerds!
jlb2957
AG
quote:
quote:
Monoprice
Get something like this
How exactly does this work? We just moved into a house and our TV is on the mantle over the fireplace. I would like to get a DVR with radio frequency and put our directv box in the closet so it doesn't have to sit on the mantle. I would need to run HDMI from the closet to the mantle. This looks like it only has HDMI on one end. What do you connect to the TV if the directv box has the HDMI port plugged into it?
They come in pairs.

HDMI plugs into those. Cat 5e plugs into the other end and plugs into an identical piece where you are running it, then HDMI from that to the device.

And I meant to write "balun". Damn spellcheck on iphone.
jlb2957
AG
You never want to run HDMI more than 30ft or you can experience some loss in quality and signal. The Cat 5e allows you to extend the signal. A balun is a device that, usually, amplifies the signal across Cat 5e.
coppag92
AG
quote:
A balun is a device that, usually, amplifies the signal across Cat 5e.

thx
AggieStan
Balun- balanced/ unbalanced. Bal-un. Re the cable- Pvccat 6

Nom de Plume
AG
I've got lots of long HDMI runs. No issues and fewer points of failure.
SpicewoodAg
AG
They make wall plates with baluns....might make for a tidier setup. Note that the two runs of CAT5e should be the same length.
belowpar
AG
There are cables out there available that are HDMI cables but are made of Fiber vs Copper (can go very long distances). They are pretty expensive and require a 5v power jolt from the source so they are directional cables (meaning one said has to be at the source and one has to be at the display). You also have to be very careful pulling them as they are fiber and can break easy.
Tabasco
AG
I got this for my outdoor kitchen and it works great. Granted it is 50 feet and you need 60-70.

50 foot hdmi monoprice
schmendeler
AG
you'll definitely need monster cables.
QBCade
AG
I would recommend the balun approach as well. I have a 50ft HDMI run in my home and it will lose sync for a second or 2 every once in a while. I'm assuming that the BER just gets too high. I'm considering replacing it with the balun approach, but it's not quite annoying enough for me to do it yet. My 35ft HDMI run is perfect tho.
FightinTexag
AG
Any issues with using this solution x3 in a single wall tube? I just bought a home and want to run 3 HDMI cables from the 'box' to above the mantle.
FreeLunch
AG
I used a redmere Hdmi cable from monoprice and it works great. I think it's only 50' though. I tried a non redmere cable and it had issues. Those balun/cat5 solutions look interesting. I may have done that if I found some that affordable when I was looking.
QBCade
AG
As I already have a 50ft run of HDMI that loses sync sometimes, I'm considering adding an active HDMI repeater to 'help' : http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?pg_no2=3&c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041914&p_id=2849&sortby=&period=&rating=&seq=1&format=4#feedback . Anyone used one before? I'm concerned that this will actually corrupt the signal more so than the balun approach.

Scriffer
AG
quote:
Any issues with using this solution x3 in a single wall tube? I just bought a home and want to run 3 HDMI cables from the 'box' to above the mantle.

You'd probably be better served to get a receiver with HDMI switching and only running one line to the tv. I just bit the bullet and did this, and I've been really happy with it.
FightinTexag
AG
Mind sharing what switch you purchased?
Scriffer
AG
Sorry, I was vague on my post. I went for broke with a whole new receiver:

http://www.amazon.com/Marantz-NR1605-Ultra-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B00KBVKDXM

Another option that would be more cost-effective if you don't care about the sound aspect of things or if it's not in the current budget, is to get a separate HDMI switch, then run the output there into the baluns. Something like this would probably be fine, but more knowledgeable people than me could tell you if there are any problems with running the signal through the extra boxes.

Something like this would do the trick:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=8202&seq=1&format=2

Other options that have remotes, more features etc:
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.