Vid Camera for home movies?

1,135 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by crewez
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking for something basic to take vids of the kiddos (2 and 3). Simple is good. Quality video is good. Indoor and outdoor use. Price? $300-$400? Not really sure what to expect but dont mind spending more if its money well spent. Thanks!
AggieBob08
AG
Smart phone?

GoPro?

I use a combo of both
CapCity12thMan
AG
for shooting videos just for memories/scrapbook it is hard to beat the convenience of a good smart phone and just be done with it. We have a Canon HD video camera that for the most part sits in the case these days.
JonLobb
but a good mirrorless camera that shoots video. You'll get far more use out of it than a dedicated video camera, and it'll shoot better video. Plus, later you can swap lenses if you want to try something different.

Sony Alpha a5000
Nikon 1 J4
Samsung NX2000
jay040
quote:
Smart phone?

GoPro?

I use a combo of both
I've never used a go pro, but I would imagine the OP would want something with a better zoom, etc than an Iphone. I have no clue what to suggest, but would they work for recording a kid's play if you're seated near the back of the auditorium? I feel like my iphone camera is nice for close up, quick post to social media, but not good enough to record a kid's performance or sports game from a distance.
Philo B 93
Get a $300 Canon (Vixia i think). The main thing it will offer is being able to zoom in on the kid's smiles at the park while you're sitting on a bench 30 feet away. They're too young for sports and plays, so otherwise make good use of your iPhone. Take most of your video outside for best results. Well lit video is funner to look at years later.
SpicewoodAg
AG
Almost no one shoots good video with a smartphone, even if the device has OK capabilities. Touching the screen to zoom makes it shake. Using digital zoom makes it fuzzy. Using it in sunlight sucks. An inexpensive camcorder will positively produce better video.

Mirrorless cameras are good too.
bigboykin
AG
I got this one a few weeks back: Canon Vixia HF R50 after posting a similar thread.

I went into Best Buy and played with the similarly priced and spec'd Canon, Panasonic, and Sony camcorders and found this one to have the clearest and steadiest image upon max zoom across the store. That was the primary decider for me.

I haven't had a chance to put it through the ringer or try out Wifi and advanced features yet, but my initial impressions are: lightweight, intuitive basic controls, expandable memory, good zoom and IS, good video, easy transfer of vid (MP4 files) via SD cards... no complaints here.

I'll reiterate, cell phones and GoPros are great, but this beats the hell out of a GoPro of cell phone for video from any distance. It's not as convenient as something already in your pocket, but for filming at event where you know you'll be filming and can plan to bring it (kinds' sports, plays, parties, etc.) a real camcorder is the way to go IMO.
crewez
AG
Mirrorless (or a DSLR) would give you the best video for sure, but the tradeoff would be the long zoom. If you need lots of optical zoom then a dedicated camcorder would be the route I would take.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.