Going to Italy with smartphone

1,365 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Not Hotdog 03
rynning
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My iPhone is on an AT&T family plan, and I'm about to go to Italy. What's the cheapest way to have data, texting and voice for a week? I've heard stories of people getting home with $1,000 bills... Thanks.
AgDev01
AG
ATT will have a a package you can add that will give you a set amount of minutes and minimal data. I'd check the price on that and compare it with picking up a sim card there as a pay as you go type thing and see which is cheapest for want you'll need. If you do go with the ATT option just turn off the cellular radio when you don't need to phone and use WiFi.
Stasco
AG
If you want to use a local sim card, which I recommend, then call AT&T first and tell them that you want them to unlock the phone for travel reasons. I'm pretty sure they're required to unlock phones now on request, but these days they tend to do it anyway, especially if you tell them its for travel. You might be able to find some info online about local options, but often you'll just see overpriced short term plans aimed at travelers. Its very easy to just find a mobile store when you get there and pick up a new sim. They're all over the place.
Naveronski
AG
Best bet is probably just to get a new phone from a local place when you get in country.

I'm currently deployed with the army, and ATT is still refusing to unlock my phone despite multiple phone calls and emails from my wife and I, and having received multiple documents showing that I'm deployed.

It's nothing but a huge pain in the ass.
Seven Costanza
AG
Download an app like Viber. Have anyone you want to call download it as well. Use it to text and call when you have Wifi access (in your hotel and in almost every restaurant in touristy areas).
Bighamp03
AG
Switch to TMobile.
tfunk02
AG
http://www.imei-unlocker.com/#

Get a local SIM card after you unlock. You may also want a VPN if you want to use things like WatchESPN while you are there.
Tmobile IS the carrier to be with when you travel abroad. Unlimited data, texts, and only 20 cents per mintute for voice calling. Its already included in your standard data plan and there is no extra charge for it.
DayAg!
S
Thats why I keep an old unlocked Iphone 2g for just that reason. Get to the country, go to the corner store and pick up a sim card, pop it in and off you go.
Ag CPA
AG
Do it old school and rely on internet cafes.
Not Hotdog 03
AG
I went last year. Just called ATT and added an international package for the two weeks that I was going. It was about 50 bucks.

Still made sure to take advantage of Wifi in hotels. Just turn off auto uploads and if you have pictures etc to share wait until you are on wifi.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.