Elite: Dangerous

5,650 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jabberwalkie09
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone playing? I miss the days of Wing Commander: Privateer and open-galaxy type gameplay. I don't want something as complex as EVE, but this and Star Citizen look interesting.

Thoughts?
Madmarttigan
AG
I suppose the question for me is does it have player vs player and is it any good on that end. Don't really see any info on it.
wee_ag
AG
It does talk about playing with friends or going it alone. I assumed it meant PvP but not sure.

quote:
Multiplayer: Do all this online with your friends, other "Elite" pilots, or even alone
Madmarttigan
AG
Yeah I see the multiplayer part just wasn't sure what it was about lol.
91_Aggie
AG
Elite was damned hard back in the days on the Atari 800/Commodore 64. Took me forever to to dock in the 12-sided die space stations without crashing.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I've been playing this for about a week now, and it's fun. I wish there was an easier way to play directly with your friends though. I enjoy how large the game itself is and how you can do the missions on the bulletin board, do trading runs, be a pirate pretty much, do bounty hunting stuff, or do exploration to earn credits.
wee_ag
AG
Ummm, coming to Xbox One

Tomdoss92
AG
quote:
I've been playing this for about a week now, and it's fun. I wish there was an easier way to play directly with your friends though. I enjoy how large the game itself is and how you can do the missions on the bulletin board, do trading runs, be a pirate pretty much, do bounty hunting stuff, or do exploration to earn credits.
enjoying it too... now that I finally made some halfway decent money. My Steam review:

pulled out of jump by pirate demanding my cargo.

getting pummeled by pirate because my dogfighting skills are suspect.

feds showed up and blasted pirate while I might have gotten in one glancing shot.

pirate blown up I get 6K bounty.

10/10 would get pulled out of jump again.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Ummm, coming to Xbox One

Super excited for this and Gigantic to come to Xbox One. Two of the only games I've been interested in on PC lately.

Gigantic, for those who haven't seen it, is a third-person shooter with cel-shaded graphics (like Team Fortress 2). It's kind of a MOBA, but there's no creeps or last-hitting. 5v5. Each team has a gigantic NPC Guardian who fights on your side. The object is to defeat the opposing Guardian. Visuals are beautiful. Currently in PC-only Alpha, though some beta etc. will be coming to XB1.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:
enjoying it too... now that I finally made some halfway decent money. My Steam review:

pulled out of jump by pirate demanding my cargo.

getting pummeled by pirate because my dogfighting skills are suspect.

feds showed up and blasted pirate while I might have gotten in one glancing shot.

pirate blown up I get 6K bounty.

10/10 would get pulled out of jump again.
Yeah, at the moment I have an Asp and a Type 6. I spend most of the time in the Asp running rares, and seeing as how it has one of the best FSD jump distances, doing rare trade runs quickly is beneficial. I did a solid week or so of Nav Beacon bounty hunting which was fun but I didn't ant to go all the way to Lave where it seems most of the pirates are. Also at the moment, the way the bounty/wanted system works is kinda a bummer for true bounty hunters who are going after pirates or mercenaries in the system (or hell the known systems) due to being about to clear the bounty with little issue just by going to a station in the same system. So you could end up getting pirated by a CMDR (player) that doesn't show as wanted and may not have a bounty on him until he shoots at you. Rather as NPC's send you that nice little message about dropping your cargo or they will pick your bones, and then they just open fire. Gotten some decent bounties from NPC's doing that.

Went and explored in the Asp for awhile, but basically just sightseeing got a little old. I find my bouncing between exploring on short runs and doing rare runs. The thing about the Asp is that upkeep on the ship is kind of expensive (the longer you spend in supercruise, the more wear your ship incurs including excessive heat damage).
Kyle98
AG
Anyone still playing? I got the game at retail launch, but just really started playing the the last week. Took me a bit to figure everything out (tutorials, what are those??), and I'm still learning something every time I log in.

Just upgraded to an Eagle from the starting Sidewinder this week and starting to rack up some kills. I generally only care about money in that I need it to buy newer/better stuff and ships so I can kill more stuff, so I don't enjoy the trader or miner or explorer roles.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Anyone still playing? I got the game at retail launch, but just really started playing the the last week. Took me a bit to figure everything out (tutorials, what are those??), and I'm still learning something every time I log in.

Just upgraded to an Eagle from the starting Sidewinder this week and starting to rack up some kills. I generally only care about money in that I need it to buy newer/better stuff and ships so I can kill more stuff, so I don't enjoy the trader or miner or explorer roles.
Yeah, I'm playing still. I took a break for a couple of weeks after I went on a journey exploring. Bought an Eagle and went to a Resource Extraction point and bounty hunted for awhile. Turned up 730k in about 45 minutes.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Ummm, coming to Xbox One

can't wait.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Anyone still playing? Took a month or so off from the game, then decided to go out and explore.

Quick screenshot from while I am out and about exploring.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Braben's first picture from Gamescom. There is supposed to apparently be a colossal announcement at the convention for the game.

Check out the area around the landing struts.
jr15aggie
AG
I've put a decent amount of time into the XB1 version... I'm down if they want to add in planet exploration!
jabberwalkie09
AG

Store link: https://www.frontierstore.net/games/elite-dangerous-cat/horizons.html/

And finally blog link: https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/247
jabberwalkie09
AG
I have to say, I'm not quite understanding the pricing structure they are running with. Horizons, which is being billed as an expansion, is being sold as if it is a completely new game? WTF?
Kampfers
AG
quote:
I have to say, I'm not quite understanding the pricing structure they are running with. Horizons, which is being billed as an expansion, is being sold as if it is a completely new game? WTF?

A lot of the community is really peeved about this. Horizons is 60 bucks. For everyone. But it includes the preexisting content.

So they're ****ing over early adopters, basically.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
A lot of the community is really peeved about this. Horizons is 60 bucks. For everyone. But it includes the preexisting content.

So they're ****ing over early adopters, basically.
For some reason, the lifetime expansion pass seems like the best deal, but the $15 loyalty discount feels like total bull****. We still end up pretty much buying the same game again, but with added functionality which we haven't seen any proof that it works actually yet to justify me throwing $60 at it, let alone $180 for the lifetime pass.

edit: Besides the discount, if we purchase it we also apparently get access to the Cobra Mk IV.... Yippee...

Edit 2: Michael Brookes has apparently been responding to some inquiries on the forum. Here is a thread that has some of his responses: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=172526
benMath08
AG
Yea I basically feel like I paid $60 to beta test a tech demo and now they want me to buy the game "for real this time".
jabberwalkie09
AG
That's pretty much the same feeling I have at the moment. They need to show me something to actually drive me to purchase it now. I don't have the feeling to do it out of blind faith at this point.
bearamedic99
AG
I finally tried my 60 minutes of free play today and it is not simple jump in the cockpit and go. This looks like the game itself had potential but the comments above will keep me from buying the game. It really should be unlimited time on the tutorials and then a trial period with the game. There is no way to get through the tutorials alone in 60 minutes. The clunky xbox switch from game to IE to youtube videos explaining the basics of flight made me go to youtube on my laptop where I found another video on getting started, this video itself lasting more than 60 minutes. Discouraging
jabberwalkie09
AG
Honestly the landing and take off are rather the biggest things to get used to. Combat is rather intuitive imo. But the thing that takes some time learning is route planning if you don't have a fuel scoop. Nothing is worse than getting stranded.
BourbonAg
AG
I picked it back up recently after a long hiatus. I mostly trade but I find it enjoyable and relaxing. The controls arent difficult once you get used to them. Joystick helps tremendously.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Oh and they have been putting up some SRV footage from Horizons too.

redeyeone
AG
Anyone that plays this game interested in a Saitek x55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. joystick? I don't play this game. But I know someone who did and they bought the joystick specifically for the game. They stopped playing after just a few months and gave it to me. I don't have much use for it so I am thinking about selling. But I don't even know if there really is a market or interest for these types of controllers. Just curious.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Anyone that plays this game interested in a Saitek x55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. joystick? I don't play this game. But I know someone who did and they bought the joystick specifically for the game. They stopped playing after just a few months and gave it to me. I don't have much use for it so I am thinking about selling. But I don't even know if there really is a market or interest for these types of controllers. Just curious.
check out /r/hotas

You'd probably be able to find a buyer there.

I'd be interested but I haven't heard good things about Saitek, plus I won't be playing ED on the computer until the Rift or Vive drops, so I don't have need of a good joystick yet.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Sometime next week 1.5 will go into beta.

Then on Tuesday the 24th, Horizons will go into beta.

Captmorg70
I know Fallout comes out tomorrow, but anyone pick this up for Xbox one? I got this over the weekend and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
I know Fallout comes out tomorrow, but anyone pick this up for Xbox one? I got this over the weekend and I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
I have it and enjoy it, but I stopped playing it frequently because I'm going to switch over to PC once I get my hands on a Vive or Rift.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Today's stream revealed the Asp Scout, Lakon Keelback, Viper Mk4, Cobra Mk4, Imperial Cutter, and the Federal Corvette. Take a look at the Corvette. It's huge. They said in the stream that the guy that captured the video had to fly around to 6, yes six, planets before he found a spot large enough to land it. The other clips of the ships can be found on their channel.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Another Horizons clip rolled out today. Imperial Cutter sitting outside of a fortified starport.

jabberwalkie09
AG
So apparently "space barnacles" have been discovered on planets. I think it reminds me of the all might sarlac from Star Wars.

http://www.pcgamer.com/space-barnacles-discovered-in-elite-dangerous/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.