Dying Light

2,758 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AGinHI
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone picking the game up or had any impressions? Apparently the review codes didn't go out until yesterday. Early impressions do not believe this was intended to hide a broken or flawed game, just they were working that late into it and does seem to be positive. I am seriously considering picking it up, especially with the co-op. Everything looks fun from what I have seen.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
I don't know a single person who picked this up today. Just sitting here waiting for reviews.
Saxsoon
AG
I decided to pick it up. The voice acting is top notch and the game is stunning. Kind of an interesting plot in what little I have had a chance to play (about 1.5-2 hours)

Took a little while to figure out the controls (actually tapping the jump button a second time to grab on) but the unusual placement on the right bumper has grown on me. Once I got that down, the parkour is actually pretty intuitive and I realized that at least during the day, it is pretty easy to run past most things. Have not played a night section yet, but I understand that the first few missions are forced on a day/night cycle, but eventually opens up.

You have three upgrade paths. Survivability is raised by completing main missions and side quests. Running and Killing are raised, by you guessed it, running and killing. I love that as I am running up the side of buildings, I am getting valuable experience.

Haven't really gotten into the side quests, but I am going to see myself falling into those fairly easily, at least at the beginning.

I have Last of Us syndrome while playing in that I am wanting to check everything and everywhere for supplies, which is actually something I really enjoy.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty strong introduction to the game. I will have to wait and see as the game goes on and see if it becomes repetitive or not. But I love the running around (seriously, any first person open world game has something to learn from Dying Light) and the beat downs don't make me feel overpowered. I only feel comfortable taking on 1 or 2 at a time, and that is during the day when they aren't that bad. Also using firecrackers for the distractions is fun.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I'm thinking about picking this up today.
SECivil Ag-11
AG
How does the game perform? 2014 was such an abomination that this is the first question I always ask. I just don't trust developers anymore. I'm hoping it isn't locked at 30 fps. Got a little spoiled after playing games like Metro Redux and Wolfenstein The New Order.

Also, I know you only started playing but how big do you feel like the open world is so far and the quality of its content? AC Unity was WAY too dense with the absurd amount of overall meaningless side stuff.
Saxsoon
AG
I noticed some screen tear in a cutscene (just a little ripple down the screen) but so far it seems pretty smooth. To be completely honest, unless it is completely noticeable and drops to a crawl, a small dip below 30FPS doesn't really register if I am in the moment of fighting. But it seems pretty fluid so far as a whole.

I will have to comment more on side quests but the main prologue and first mission seemed like a nice set up for the rest of the game.I get the feeling there is a lot out there, especially once I started finding locked chests to lockpick. I got my first side quest and it relates to finding anti-seizure medicine for the leader who was injured at the end of the first mission. I know there will be a lot more generic help the Tower find supplies quests, but I thought that was a great way to introduce a sidequest.
Saxsoon
AG
Played another 2 hours tonight and knocked out 2 side missions and explored (unlocking a couple of safehouses). I will explain about what each of them were, so potential spoilers.

First had me lockpick into a room of a guy late to his guard shift, he was having a seizure in his room due to taking faulty antizin (zombie medicine to stave off turning). I had to track down the guy in the tower that sold it to him and found out a group of thugs had taken over a pharmacy. I had to track them down and dispose of them.

Second one was the seizure medicine for the leader of the group. I had to find this guy living alone with his mother who had been hoarding the medicine. I had to find a movie and a box of chocolates because it was Mother's Day. The guy must have had down's or something. This wasn't really played up for laughs like borderlands would have, it was actually quite sad in my opinion.

Also called into my bosses at one point to progress the story (that just had me get to a waypoint. Found some drops from air support underwater that I was able to turn into my quartermaster for some more experience. Also while running around you will come across people who are in need of help from zombies for experience and some guys who will start giving a little information of what has been going on in Harran.

So far the only negative I am seeing is this place is pretty massive and there isn't a quick jump system. Wish I could have done that between the safe houses I have unlocked.
WhiskeyBusiness
AG
Worth the 60$ or should I wait on it?
Xiuh
Night time mode is a trip and the volatiles(hunters) just rip into you. I have been having fun, pretty gritty and some nice slow mo features. If you enjoyed dead island and enjoy the co-op, I would pick it up though I did use discounts and coupons to not pay full price lol.
Saxsoon
AG
Just tried the coop with three other friends and it was pretty awesome
Aggie118
AG
Is the coop with friends actually the story campaign? Or is it like far cry where you can only do side quests? Thanks!
Saxsoon
AG
Story campaign. You still get experience and keep all items you find if you go back to help your buddies. It was pretty seamless
kill0509
AG
Bump. Boogie05 and I just bought this game on PS4. Really enjoying it so far and even thinking about buying the season pass for $30 since I only paid $25 for the base game brand new at Best Buy. Anyone still playing this or planning on getting the new release that comes out in February?
AGinHI
AG
I got the game after recently playing the demo and was pleasantly surprised. Definitely an underrated game. I believe the new release is free to those who already have the game.

As usual, it's difficult for me to connect with people on the mainland with the time difference (4 hours behind Texas).

Add me--DaKineTyKai--I'd like to try this with other people.
kill0509
AG
We'll probably be on playing tonight. No idea if you play during the week or not. We typically cut out around 10:00 PM our time since we both teach, so 6ish your time. I'll add you on the PSN later. Fair warning, we are only about 15% in to the storyline right now.
AGinHI
AG
I appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for you. The time difference has always made it hard.
Tomdoss92
AG
quote:
I appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for you. The time difference has always made it hard.
AGinHI
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.