Surge Protection

1,917 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dubi
Lucky Jack Aubrey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any recommendations for a good surge protector? I need to protect TV, surround sound, modem, router, cable. I have a weekend place near Canyon Lake, and I've lost 4 of 5 HDMI ports in the last 6 months (Vizio TV). Only there every couple of weeks, so I'm just assuming it's storms. I have everything plugged into an inexpensive surge protector strip, but I guess I need something more substantial.
Aggietaco
AG
For a vacation place, I'd recommend a whole home system along with localized devices for your electronic equipment. Don't forget your incoming cable and satellite as well.
Aggietaco
AG
Also note that they need to be replaced every so often. They are rated in the amount of Joules they can absorb before they become worthless.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I think the safest thing for a vacation place is to unplug everything when you leave. Turn off the power at the surge protector.

I do not use cheap or generic surge protectors. I don't have a proven favorite brand, but I have had good protection from Monster, Belkin, Panamax. Be sure that all pieces that are connected are protected. If an ethernet switch fails, it could damage connected devices.

Add: my home is in an area subject to bit thunderstorms. About 14 years ago I lost a bunch of A/V and networking equipment with a lightning strike directly across the street from my house. Maybe half of my stuff was on surge - and not good stuff. Since that time - no loss of equipment.
92_Ag
AG
I agree with Spicewood and would throw out WATTBOX from SnapAV as another good brand we've had success with protecting sensitive electronics.
Lucky Jack Aubrey
AG
Ok. Thanks to all.
ktweaverbird
Bought a Panamax MR4300 a few months ago to address the same problem. I've been very pleased with it so far.
Aggietaco
AG
APC is quality and offers a warranty that covers connected equipment as well (similar to most other big names).
UnderoosAg
AG
quote:
Also note that they need to be replaced every so often.

That. Think of them as bubble wrap. A rule of thumb on the smaller point of use types is replacing annually. It depends quite a bit on exposure and area. YMMV.

quote:
They are rated in the amount of Joules they can absorb before they become worthless.

Sorta, but don't buy into the Joule ratings as much of it is marketing. You want to clamp or stop a surge, not just handle it. It does no good to handle 25 baseball bat wielding five year olds when it only takes 10 to F up your home theatre. Manufacturers can, and often do, play with the testing waves to get higher Joule ratings. Look for clamping voltage rating and make sure the device is UL 1449 listed.
agdoc2001
AG
Revived this from the dead as Tom's Hardware just did a 3 part comparison of surge protectors in the $10-20 range and the 3rd part came out this week. The protectors were disassembled, components and solder points compared. The APC P74 was the overall winner and can be found for about $12. Just an FYI.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dubi
AG
quote:
APC is quality and offers a warranty that covers connected equipment as well (similar to most other big names).

I have APC UPS devices on my nice TV plus all my networking equipment and NAS drives. Very annoying when the power goes out, but we have not lost any equipment.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.