Let's Play MGS4

3,601 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by farmer2010
theterk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been watching a lot of Let's Play videos on some old games I no longer have/can play, My PS3 died a while back and I've been wanting to play MGS4 again.

Man, I forget how that game is just a movie...without even a single fight scene, the video is +8 hours long.
TexAg1987
3 hours of gameplay. Still a masterpiece.
agdoc2001
AG
I haven't played a MG since the NES original and always felt I was missing out. Drew on GiantBomb is playing through every MGS so I'm doing my vicarious playthroughs that way (he's through the 1st 2 so far). Those games are nuts.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
I remember borrowing this game from a friend and when my wife went out of town for a weekend I played through most of it. I remember a lot of drinking and MGS4... one night in particular I drank more than I meant to and ended up on the floor at one point not sure how I got there.

Point being I was very much inebriated but I had no problem beating this game with ease. I remember all those gun options, customizations, etc.... all very deep but so unnecessary! It was quite fun at time getting to laugh at how crazy some of that stuff was while boozing it up. But yeah, at times it definitely felt like the game was on cruise control.
theterk
AG
1 thing I always wanted to do in MGS4 was get the flintlock musket. I watched Legend of Mana, just because I never really understood the hype (I did beat it a long time ago). Other games on my watchlist: Saga Frontier (never beat all of the stories), Resident Evils, and Parasite Eve.
rhutton125
AG
Some old classics are just a bit too dated to enjoy to the fullest. I tried catching up on a few old RPGs on my Steam backlog - Ys I and II - and boy I couldn't do it. Wiki'd the plot and didn't feel like I was missing out.

Metal Gear Solid... those are still legit. I replayed MGS1 recently with someone watching and it's almost as cinematic and enjoyable as a modern AAA title like Mass Effect. We'll hit up 2, 3 and 4 someday down the road.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
theterk
AG
that old sniper is one of my favorite boss fights ever.

I'm at the part where Akiba comes to save Merryl with his 50cal sniper rifle, shooting guys 10yards away. That dude must have a bionic shoulder. And Snake holds his m4 cocked to the side like a thug.
wimberley_ag
MGS4 is still my favorite game ever. Iv'e beat it 8-9 times and watched the cutscenes every time.
farmer2010
AG
Kojima should've ended the series at 3.

MGS1=MGS3>MGS2>>>>>>>MGS4
farmer2010
AG
Peace Walker was good, though.
TexAg1987
And 5 looks awesome too.
Philo B 93
I've never played a MGS game. Which one is the best to give it a try?
theterk
AG
MGS1 and Snake Eater are probably the easiest to not get lost in backstory. MGS2 and MGS4 are really deep in backstory.
TexAg1987
Depends. Do you want to understand the story at all? I'd say 3 is the best game, but this is definitely something that'll be hard to just jump into in the middle.
AFDave13
AG
I love the entire MG series. I started from MG Solid and played every one up to buying a PS4 just in anticipation for MG5 coming out soon
Philo B 93
MGS (ps1) is $10 on PSN, Peace Walker is $20 on PSN.

Out of those two, which is a better option?
farmer2010
AG
They're meant to be played in the order that they were released. I wouldn't recommend Peace Walker as an intro to the series.

MGS1, if you don't mind PS1 graphics, numerous codec conversations in lieu of cutscenes, and the limitations in gameplay (first person combat is VERY limited, 3rd person is preferred). If you think these things would bother you, MGS3 is the best alternative intro to the series.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Without trying to give much away... how will the Psycho Mantis boss fight work on a PS4?
farmer2010
AG
There's... methods. Let's just say there's an equivalent strategy that's implemented in a different way on the ps3/ps4. It's also possible to beat him the hard way, though it takes a lot longer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.