universal remote control

1,628 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by adamsbq06
Aggie369
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Suggs and recos?

Going to be for media room to control

-receiver
-DVR/DirecTV
-xbox1
-projector
-blue ray player
-maybe lights/fan

I've looked at harmony and URC but was told harmony would give me more bugs to work out
agdoc2001
AG
I've had 3 Harmonys, the One, the 900, and the Ultimate. They've all been great. Not sure what bugs you're talking about.

Most important thing is to decide if you need RF or not and go from there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I have not liked older Harmony units mostly because of the button layout. Haven't used a newer model. I have been a big fan of URC MX models. I have two MX900s right now. I really like the handset quality and button layout. The "issue" with these is that URC intends for them to be sold by dealers and they do not supply the configuration software. But it available.....
Aggie369
AG
I see that these remotes are configured for up to 48 devices...that seems a bit much...are there any decent remotes that aren't $300+ for just a handful of devices?
Barry Kripke
AG
Harmony 650
Aggiefan#1
AG
There are not a lot of remotes that are very good for less than $300-400. May not be what you need but if you want to jump up to a big boy remote thats leaps and bounds better than an off the shelf wizard based remote I can get you an RTI T1-B+ remote. Its not any cheaper and probably a bit more at $399 but it is significantly better. Ive thrown probably 100+ Harmony/Logitech remotes in the trash. They just seem to always be a point of frustration for customers.

If you want to control your lights, the best way is a Lutron IR Dimmer Switch. We incorporate that into the system and can control your lights and fans from the remote.

http://www.rticorp.com/products/wireless-interfaces/t1-b-wireless-controller.html

Brent C Harriman
SoundWave Audio Video
281-361-2730

Texags Sponsor
AggieT
AG
I have a Harmony One. No problems and even my four year old can use it. Hell, even my mother figured it out. I use it for a PS3 (with the adapter), TV, DirecTV, and Emotiva pre/pro. Simple and effective.
LGAggie
AG
Disclaimer: I don't have one.

The Harmony 650 has 4 stars on amazon with over 2000 reviews. They've been making the thing for like a decade. A piece of electronics that's still relevant, and a top seller, over a decade after it was first released.

It's like the TI 83+ of remotes.
FreeLunch
AG
Harmony remotes are very easy to use. There's no training for the babysitter, wife, etc. It's not too difficult to program. My wife loves them.

As far as throwing them in the trash -- I've had several and the only reason why they died was from my abuse or my kids dropping them over and over again on wood/tile.
TMoney2007
AG
I have a Logitech and have set up a few more. I don't know of anyone that has had significant issues.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm a HUGE URC fan. I put an MX890 on one system and a cheaper MX78o on my loving room. Gonna require more work than a Logitech . The software is free from the distributor if they want to give it. I had a pro control I think and those assessment won't give out the software so you have to pay some schlub to program it every time you want to change or tinker. That **** is for the birds. No idea about rtI.
ExPLK
AG
+1 for Harmony One.
jrod2181
I bought a Harmony 650 yesterday. Best Buy price matched Amazon so it was 59.99 + tax
Just using it to control comcast xfinity, tv, and stereo receiver
aggieforester05
AG
Sam's had the harmony 650 for $49.99 last week. I like mine, just make sure the software is up to date.
CAR96
AG
I just got a email from Best Buy and Logitech

"Now through January 31st, 2015, current Logitech Harmony users can visit their local Best Buy store to recycle most old Harmony products in exchange for $100 towards a new Harmony Ultimate Home or $50 towards a Harmony Home Control."

Either of these remotes worth it at $100 off?
boy09
AG
I have a Harmony One, and while I like it, I never remember to put the stupid thing back on the charger..

I also have an older model, 520 I think, I like that one a lot also. Probably not near the functionality you're looking for though.
leathal02
AG
I also sell RTI. RTI's sister company, pro control remotes, are great remotes also. Has most of the internals of the higher end RTI remotes, but isn't as customizable, but it's not lacking either.
AcoldStArnolds79
AG
I'll put a vote in for the Harmony 700. Not much different than the 650 mentioned. I've had this for 7-8 years and love it. My wife got it because I got tired of her calling me at work to walk her through turning on the correct devices and switching the inputs to watch a movie.
One button and she can watch movies, listen to music or watch tv with or with the AV receiver on.
I love it too.
beb06
AG
+1 for Harmony 650 or 700. Have a few of both and they work great.
hph6203
AG
Have a Harmony One. It has a few hiccups, but overall it's nice.
adamsbq06
AG
URC... Harmonys are crap. I replace them all the time. You get what you pay for
Chubbs-McGillicutty
Anyone know of a good universal remote that will work with a Roku Streaming Stick? I almost bought a Logitech Harmony Ultimate One at Best Buy today, but the salesman told me that the stick doesn't support IR remotes. I would have bought the Roku 1 or 2 had I known this.

Can't find my receipt for the stick, plus it's been a few months, so they prob wouldn't take it back anyway.

All we have on this particular TV is a Sony Soundbar, Direct TV box and the Roku stick. Just looking for an easy to use remote that can support those items.

TIA
SJEAg
AG
Still using my Harmony 720...but think its on it's last legs.

Going to miss that form factor.
adamsbq06
AG
SJEAg where are you located? I am a certified programer of URC Total Control. I'd love to get a chance to look at your setup.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.