Anti-Virus Recommendations

1,236 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Barry Kripke
schmellba99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
schmellba99
AG
What are some good anti-virus programs to load onto my computer? I'm pretty much a technology dumb ass, so keep that in mind.

A few cursory searches turned up the usual suspects, but I also read here and there that Macafee, Norton, etc. are wastes of money. I am a confused individual.
Dr. Venkman
AG
AVG free.
Bitdefender gets good reviews too so you can wait for a free after rebate deal.
EMY92
AG
Microsoft Security Essentials integrates well if you're running windows.
Sentinel
AG
I use MSE as well.
Absolute
AG
I ended up with a virus while running MSE.

Ended up with Bitedefender after the virus. Not sure how effective it is, since you only know it is bad if something happens. But it is not obtrusive as far as running on the computer. No complaints so far.
ttu_85
quote:
First my sympathies for windows users. Linux is your friend. Changed 4 years ago and have never looked back with the rare exception of moronic situations that require windows specific software. I keep an old lap top around for that unpleasant business.

I downloaded ubuntu 12.4 with a full array of Java, c++ development tools and environments, photography editing software that can almost match photoshop and lightroom, all the common office apps, and a bunch of other stuff for $ 0.00. And not one virus. Linux is based on Unix, a system that was built with security in mind. It is possible for a Linux box to be attacked but they are rarely successful. Android and Mac OS are of the same family tree. Mac OS is BSD Unix it its core. This stuff has been around forever and it works. So unless you have specific Windows requirements save yourselves the grief and take a look at it.
Cromagnum
AG
I like Nod32 from ESET.
Bigsteve713
AG
After reading various reviews I settled on bitdefender. I like it so far, my only complaint when I try and check my bank statements online it pulls up a gateway type thing that is a pain in the ass, but not too big of a deal. I think it was $50 for a year subscription, I think it's worth it to pay and have a little peace of mind. It's easy to use and worth the money in my opinion.
KidDoc
AG
I use Avast. They do spam a bit to try and get you to buy more stuff but that has gotten better in the last few months.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
tunefx
AG
quote:
I like Nod32 from ESET.
OkinTexas
quote:
quote:
First my sympathies for windows users. Linux is your friend. Changed 4 years ago and have never looked back with the rare exception of moronic situations that require windows specific software. I keep an old lap top around for that unpleasant business.

I downloaded ubuntu 12.4 with a full array of Java, c++ development tools and environments, photography editing software that can almost match photoshop and lightroom, all the common office apps, and a bunch of other stuff for $ 0.00. And not one virus. Linux is based on Unix, a system that was built with security in mind. It is possible for a Linux box to be attacked but they are rarely successful. Android and Mac OS are of the same family tree. Mac OS is BSD Unix it its core. This stuff has been around forever and it works. So unless you have specific Windows requirements save yourselves the grief and take a look at it.

I'm with you on this. I don't have Ubuntu loaded yet but are seriously considering it. Would you be available for consultation over these forums if I did so?
Barry Kripke
AG
quote:
quote:

Windows blows.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.