Wifi/networking

2,525 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TexasRebel
burnerET
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For lack of knowledge, how do I find someone to look at setting up home network. I cant think of the proper job title to search? We just built last year and Im trying to address wifi signal issues Im having across the house. Thanks
Sling Blade
AG
Residential IT Consultant
OldArmyBrent
AG
"Texags Nerdery forum"

Seriously, though, if you post more details here, I bet someone will help you set the whole thing fixed in no time.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Download inSSIDer home, take screenshots in different parts of your home and post them. That'll give us a starting point.
burnerET
All of our home entertainment control is through URc which runs off network. The cable internet modem is ran into master closet in back corner of house. From the closet ran cat5 to media cabinet in living room which is in center of house. Inside cabinet I have a gigabit switch and asus n66u. The problem Im having is my wifi signal drops if say im in garage or office, basically opposite ends of the house. I have a netgear wifi extender in garage, but its a pain having to switch back and forth, due to iphone/ipad/ computer holding on. Ideally Id like to have one "network" signal where I don't have to switch. Our house is 2850 sqft living. 3700 total pad
SpicewoodAg
AG
The OP "built" last year and didn't run any ethernet cable in the house?
akaggie05
AG
quote:
Inside cabinet I have a gigabit switch and asus n66u

Get your wireless router out of the cabinet and out into the open, preferably as high as possible with minimal objects around it in close proximity. A few dB of gain here and there might work wonders for getting the extra bit of range that you need.

A few other things you can try:
- Force the router to use 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz (if possible), 2.4 GHz signals will penetrate through walls better and give you overall better range, everything else being equal
- Try different channels on the wifi router (potentially to get away from interference on the same channel caused by a neighbor's access point)
- Make sure the antenna(s) are pointed straight up (not laid down flat, angled, etc)
burnerET
Spicewood, I did run ethernet. The cable comes in and goes to modem in closet. From there, I ran cat 5 to media cabinet in living room where the router,switch and components are. Akaggie05, I will go home and check all these things. Im pretty sure I have it set to 2.4 but will double check. Ive tried different channels once. How do you determine interference on the channels, to determine the best one

SpicewoodAg
AG
quote:
Spicewood, I did run ethernet. The cable comes in and goes to modem in closet. From there, I ran cat 5 to media cabinet in living room where the router,switch and components are. Akaggie05, I will go home and check all these things. Im pretty sure I have it set to 2.4 but will double check. Ive tried different channels once. How do you determine interference on the channels, to determine the best one

OK. Good advice above. Do not discount the impact of metal around your base station/router. The orientation of the router may matter to if it is the kind with internal antennas.

An app on your phone like Wi-Fi Finder might be useful.
flintdragon
AG
I have my main wifi router in an upstairs corner room and I placed an additional wifi bridge in the bottom floor opposite corner connected via powerline. I use the same AP settings on both except on opposite channels. My devices seem to roam well between the two devices.
dubi
AG
Bribe your IT guy/gal at work to swing by your house on the weekend. This will be very easy for them.

That's what I do when something proves too difficult for me.
burnerET
I work for the city of houston, you can hardly get people to do work at work. Gettin someone from IT on the phone is like trying to resurect our lord and savior
dubi
AG
Oops. I office next to several so it is easy.

Make a new thread titled "need IT nerd in xxx Houston to fix my wifi". Payment in beer/steaks or cash.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
Make a new thread titled "need IT nerd in xxx Houston to fix my wifi". Payment in beer/steaks or cash.

Yep, true. If it was DFW, I'd be on the way. Shiner payments are the way to go.
TX scallywAG
AG
Look into Ruckus XClaim. Use two WAPs which are managed as one wireless network (with no controller/WiFi server needed).
burnerET
Aggie MHA, do you currently have claim? I read up on it last night, trying to see if I understand. So they sell wireless access point that would connect to my current asus router? This just extends one seamless network through out the house? The way I understood it is the app makes it where it's easier to select channels/keep the system running smoothly?
theterk
AG
disregard, flintdragon's post is spot on
OkinTexas
Wifi analyzer on google play is a good app that has a screenshot save and send function to possibly help you out with posting screenshots of the wifi signals. Good luck.
OkinTexas
quote:
quote:

Yep, true. If it was DFW, I'd be on the way. Shiner payments are the way to go.

I need to keep your username handy.
TexasRebel
AG
If you have wired throughout the house, attach a WAP in each area. Put all of them on the same SSID with the same security, but different channels. This will create a roaming wifi network.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.