AT&T Question

858 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by VanGogh@1
BT1395
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First and foremost, my daughter has been in the hospital for the last few months so I haven't had the time to do much research on my own. That being said, I'm hoping someone here could give me a quick (and straightforward) explanation about AT&T's pricing...

I have a 16gb iPhone 4s and want to upgrade to a 32gb iPhone 5s. I walked into an AT&T retail store and walked out more confused than ever about all their stupid plans.

I'm currently on their plan where 5 of us in my family share 10gb of data per month and we have unlimited text and voice. The entire plan is somewhere in the $120/month range.

If I want the 5s, am I better off buying from a third party? If so, how would that affect my plan pricing? If I bought the phone from AT&T, it looks like I'd be paying something like $600 for it using their "financing" plan. I've got an MBA and couldn't make sense out of the shell game I felt like their Rep was trying to walk me through.

Help?!?
HossAg
AG
First, I hope your daughter is doing well.

Second, are you eligible for an upgrade yet? Sounds like they wanted full retail pricing and they were trying to finance it for you. If you are eligible for an upgrade, that phone shouldn't cost more than $100.
BT1395
AG
Yes, I'm eligible for an upgrade which is part of why I was so confused by the Rep's drivel.
HossAg
AG
Wow, was he trying to get you to sign up for a different plan or something? There's no way you should be paying that much for that phone on a normal 2 year upgrade plan.
lockett93
AG
If you ate currently out of contact in a phone, they give you a $25 discount from $40 to $15 per phone. Upgrading (even for the model behind) means that discount disappears for 24 months. So yes, it costs over $600 to update through at&t regaining of what phone you buy.

I would personally try to buy a 5s from someone getting a new 6, and not through at&t.

While you are there, ask about the double data promotion which may get you 30gb for the same monthly rate as the 15 gb used to be. I know that's more than the 10gb price, but you get triple the data from your current 10...
213 Grove
AG
He was probably trying to push you to getting the Next plan.
BT1395
AG
quote:
If you ate currently out of contact in a phone, they give you a $25 discount from $40 to $15 per phone. Upgrading (even for the model behind) means that discount disappears for 24 months. So yes, it costs over $600 to update through at&t regaining of what phone you buy.

I would personally try to buy a 5s from someone getting a new 6, and not through at&t.

While you are there, ask about the double data promotion which may get you 30gb for the same monthly rate as the 15 gb used to be. I know that's more than the 10gb price, but you get triple the data from your current 10...

Thanks for the explanation. So...if I bring my own 5s (bought from a third party), will my rates stay the same?
Gary79Ag
AG
quote:
Yes, that's exactly what he was doing. Been there, done that.
HossAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes, that's exactly what he was doing. Been there, done that.

Verizon did that to me with their edge plan or whatever its called
FreeLunch
AG
Bt1395 - att plans and for that matter all cell companies plans are rapidly evolving in the past year. I can explain it to you but it would be easier over the phone. If you want to pm me your number I can explain it to you. There are pros and cons of doing it both ways.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I could be wrong, but don't the new share plans basically get rid of the subsidized upgrade?

If you are on a plan that still gets you a brand new iPhone for $200, I don't think it would be possible to have 10GB shared and unlimited V & D for $120/month.

My guess is the plan you are on is one that doesn't subsidize upgrades, meaning you pay less, but you have to bring your own device or sign up for their NEXT program. Not sure he is "pushing" that program on the OP as much as the OP is already off of the subsidized plan (which for 5 people would be way more than that price, I would think)
BBQ4Me
AG
Buy a 5s from someone else ( ~$300-$400). Don't do Next. Just get the BYOP Family Share plan 10 GB. After a month, call up ATT and say you're thinking of switching and ask if they will double your data for free
AgDev01
AG
quote:
So...if I bring my own 5s (bought from a third party), will my rates stay the same?

As long as the phone will work on AT&T bands just pop your current SIM card into the new phone and your good. You actually don't even need to bother with ATT at all.

As far as your plan and AT&T upgrades you were already paying 600 for your old phone it just wasn't explicitly stated on the bill and the subsidy was hidden in the rate.
Diggity
AG
quote:
I'm currently on their plan where 5 of us in my family share 10gb of data per month and we have unlimited text and voice. The entire plan is somewhere in the $120/month range.
does this plan really exist (even in the past for that matter?) we have 4 devices sharing 10 GB and pay $160 before taxes...and that's the un-subsidized version.
FreeLunch
AG
Dignity - it doesn't exist, even with unsubsidized phones. most corporate FAN accounts only discount at most in the 20% +/-
VanGogh@1
The Verizon Edge plan is actually a better deal than your normal subsidized plan. The AT&T Next plan is better than the normal subsidized phone plan as well.

Do the math and get back to me.
HossAg
AG
quote:
The Verizon Edge plan is actually a better deal than your normal subsidized plan. The AT&T Next plan is better than the normal subsidized phone plan as well.

Do the math and get back to me.

Its better for a specific type of person, and I don't switch phones often or use data enough to benefit from it. I really considered it when I got a new phone, did a lot of math, and decided it would cost me more.
VanGogh@1
It's also better if you don't switch phones often. I think there is an error in your math or the plan has been updated since you did the math.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.