So what do folks think of Surface?

1,589 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by chipotle
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering getting a Surface as a replacement for ipad and a laptop for two kids - age 13 and 15. We already have a Windows desktop and an iMac, so this is for homework and movie streaming, etc.

It seems that a Surface 2 would be all we need. It comes complete with MS Office which should do the trick for 90% of their homework and they could use the other two devices when something more is needed.

Thoughts on this?
Surface 2 vs Surface 3?
ExPLK
AG
I use the surface as my work machine. It is great as a small machine that is easy to travel with. I still prefer the iPad for web browsing on the couch.
ExPLK
AG
Oh - and I have the surface 2. The surface 3 is pretty sweet. However, I like the 2 due to its small form factor.
IslandAg76
AG
I got a Surface 3.
Nice concept but I'm not too excited yet, frustrated.

Changing operating system AND hardware at the same time is difficult for me.
Using it while plugged in, the right back side gets pretty warm.

Hope, once I get a little used to Windows 8 I'll like the hardware better too.
biobioprof
I hear they make good iPad stands
Objective Aggie
AG
biobioprof, I saw that!

But I still think that for what we need - - a;ready have a powerful desktop and an iMac in the house - - i just need a device so kids can do homework (essays, web research) and movie streaming - - so it seems to really fit the bill.

With the Surface 2, MS Office is included. That is a huge deal for me. I know some folks may just use google docs, etc. for free, but I am oldschool and have always had MS Office.
nwspmp
For what it's worth, Office is now free for iPad as well, and works perfectly well saving to Dropbox, as I've been doing with mine lately. Ideally, I should have my Surface Pro 2 in today (found a decent deal online for it with a Type 2 cover) and will be able to compare it with the iPad Air. I have a feeling that my SP2 will be my more grunt machine for drawings and changes and the iPad Air will be the on-job reference and light markup work device.
Objective Aggie
AG
I debated upgrading my ipad - - it's just that the integrated keyboard and mouse make the Surface 2 a better work machine.
nwspmp
I use the Belkin FSL-151 keyboard case; works like a champ. Fully holds the iPad in (unlike the Logitech one I had originally) and can still be rotated to work in any fashion (unlike the ZAGG my boss has for his).

Between that case, Bluebeam Revu and MS Office; I rarely need my desktop anymore...
jagouar1
AG
If you spend the time to use one of those why not just get a real laptop? By the time you buy the case and ipad you are in ultrabook price territory. My sp3 and keyboard only cost me $650 which is probably about what you spent.

The surface 2 is good if you can get it cheap but after using the pro 3 no way I would want to use such a small screen on the surface 1/2. It's not just the size but having 4x3 aspect ratio makes it feel even larger.

You could even get a basic cheap laptop (hp stream) and use the office web apps. They are actually really good (think google docs but real office they remove the advanced features from).
danieljustin06
AG
quote:
It's not just the size but having 4x3 aspect ratio makes it feel even larger.

It's actually 2:3 ratio. It's very close to the size of a legal pad.

I use my SP3 everyday while I'm watching tv or having my desktop play something on youtube. I like that it is just as powerful or more than a laptop and I can install everything that I would need on it.
Jasomania
AG
I only have a Surface 1 RT and even with not having full windows it replaced my need to have a laptop while traveling. I can't say enough how much of a different the option of going to desktop mode to work in makes. When you're in desk top mode it feels as natural as a laptop and the mouse and keyboard on the type cover work great. The downside if you need a flat surface, its really hard to work in in your actual lap so if you want to do work on the couch you'll want one of those pillows with a flat plastic surface on it.

I've had an iPad as well and I think you can get by with it but its really not a great experience. If you want to do one thing at a time its fine but if you are doing research and want several browser screens up at once while working in Word it just doesn't work.

Metro mode works well too, its basically the same as other tablets when watching movies, reading books, browsing the web. The biggest downside to Windows 8 is the lack of key apps. The suite of google apps aren't there and things like instagram and pinterest are missing. Even the apps they have don't get upgraded as much and may never get the latest and greatest features. That being said most things you can work through the web browser and I have found it not to be that big of a deal for me overall.
chipotle
Is this better than the yoga or the dell 2 in 1?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.