Sit-Stand desk recommendations?

4 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by McInnis 03
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My ass, neck and back hurt from sitting all day. What do you have and do you recommend it, or do you wish you had gotten something different?
Tailgate88
AG
This is actually a subject that I'm very passionate about. A couple years ago I read the first of several articles about how sitting is terrible for you and decided to make a change. (If you haven't seen them, Google "Sitting is killing you" to see what I mean.)

The biggest question is, what is your budget? You can spend $1000 or more on a really sleek desk with pneumatic pumps that silently raise and lower a desk at the touch of button. Or you can do what I did for my first stand-up desk - as a test, to see if I would like it long term - and put a $50 plastic table from Sam's club on some cinder blocks. In the middle of all that are a huge variety of options, including some really sharp looking Ikea hacks, where people have taken Ikea bookshelves, countertops, legs, and wheels and created some really nice looking stand-up desks for $100-$200.

Whatever you do, I recommend you get a mat to stand on. I have a thick rubber mat that I got at Bed Bath & Beyond and it makes a big difference when you're standing all day.

Whatever you decide - congrats on making a good choice. It will take a few a few weeks to get used to it, but I will never go back to a sit down desk so long as I am able to stand - which hopefully will be a good long while!

aggieactor01
AG
I work at home and my company just split the cost of a Varidesk with me. So far I like it. And they have an App you can install on your pc/mac that tells you when to swap from sitting to standing to vary up your day in good increments.

There are several articles out that talk about not going straight to standing all day but to gradually build up how much you stand.

Anyway, they have a couple different models. I got the Pro Plus and really like it - going on about a month.

EDIT to add that it sits on whatever desk you have. Here's the link

http://varidesk.com/

I have a 27" and a 23" monitor on it.
JMC94
my wife got a treadmill that has an adjustable desk on top with the speed controls sitting on top of the desk. She does a lot of computer work from home so she puts her lap top on it and starts walking. She walked for 6 miles the other day and didn't even realize it. I use it when I have continuing education or just surfing the web at my leasure. I usually knock out an hour on it a day. Figure I might as well get some exercise in, even if its just walking while I check out texags.
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
EDIT to add that it sits on whatever desk you have. Here's the link

http://varidesk.com/

I have a 27" and a 23" monitor on it.
Just bought two. Thanks. Going to get a couple mats this weekend, and get off my ass!
McInnis 03
AG
I gave up sitting. built the $40 diy starting desk with ikea parts. love it.

http://www.iamnotaprogrammer.com/Ikea-Standing-desk-for-22-dollars.html
McInnis 03
AG
I used two of the tables to make it longer for my triple monitor setup
OkinTexas
quote:
This is actually a subject that I'm very passionate about. A couple years ago I read the first of several articles about how sitting is terrible for you and decided to make a change. (If you haven't seen them, Google "Sitting is killing you" to see what I mean.)

The biggest question is, what is your budget? You can spend $1000 or more on a really sleek desk with pneumatic pumps that silently raise and lower a desk at the touch of button. Or you can do what I did for my first stand-up desk - as a test, to see if I would like it long term - and put a $50 plastic table from Sam's club on some cinder blocks. In the middle of all that are a huge variety of options, including some really sharp looking Ikea hacks, where people have taken Ikea bookshelves, countertops, legs, and wheels and created some really nice looking stand-up desks for $100-$200.

Whatever you do, I recommend you get a mat to stand on. I have a thick rubber mat that I got at Bed Bath & Beyond and it makes a big difference when you're standing all day.

Whatever you decide - congrats on making a good choice. It will take a few a few weeks to get used to it, but I will never go back to a sit down desk so long as I am able to stand - which hopefully will be a good long while!

I hear that it's always better to stand when you're talking on the phone as well.
Tailgate88
AG
My wife works at TEEX and they have a ton of Vari-desks. Solid choice.
McInnis 03
AG
oh, and yes, the standing mat makes all the difference
jg07
AG
Is the varidesk pro plus 48" worth the upgrade over the pro plus? Its over a $100 more with shipping and tax.
ORAggieFan
Anyone have recs on a mat, preferably on Amazon Prime? Used my Varidesk in home office this week and love it.
Average Joe
AG
Do any of you use a standing desk to game or just for home office? I've thought about a similar setup for my office, but I do work and game. I like the idea of a veridesk, but need a ton of writing space.
McInnis 03
AG
My cheap ass mat does the job

Genuine Joe Anti-Fatigue Mat, Beveled Edge, 2 by 3-Feet, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000EFK9KM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_cfuCub1ME9W7E
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.